XP18000 Charging Tip for Ep121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by pillyliu, Mar 6, 2011.

1. pillyliu

pillyliu Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I've found the correct tip for Ep121 for use with the XP18000 external battery. I haven't received it yet, but I should be getting it before next weekend and I'll post if it works.

From Heatlesssun's and Edwood's measurements, I googled 1.1 mm x 3.0 mm dc plug and found this website listing various dc plugs.

Plug size 1130 "rs size g" matches both of their measurements exactly. However, I wasn't sure about the barrel length or what "rs size" meant. A google search for "rs size dc plug" brought up radio shack in several posts and this wikipedia article on coaxial plugs confirms that g happens to be the arbitrary letter radioshack assigns to this particular plug (I'm pretty sure the length is 9.5mm, which is essentially what heatlesssun measured, because that standard for these plugs).

Finally, therealmav posted about batterygeek.net having the right plug with adapters that would work with the xp18000. On the site, I was able to find a plug of "size g" and a picture showing all of plugs side by side.

From this picture and the dc plugs link earlier in the post, you can confirm for yourself that the letters on the batterygeeks website appear to correspond to the radio shack size letters.

I ended up ordering the set of 10 dc plugs from batterygeeks since it was only 15 dollars, vs 1o dollars for just the size g plug. Also, shipping is just 6.60 for priority mail which I figured would be quicker than their ups ground option which said 4-5 business days.

I know this will be more expensive than energizer's official plug, but I didn't feel like waiting any longer and I don't have a soldering iron to make my own plug.

Hope this helps!! :)

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've actually tried a "G" size plug from Radio Shack, and it's actually not quite the right size. One of the plugs from this adapter I got at Walmart works better: Walmart.com: Powerline 1300 mA Adapter: TV & Video

It is a better fit than the Radio shack "G" plugs but it isn't perfect, had to squeeze down on the barrel with some needle nose pliers to get more tension on the plug and it is a little long and will protrude a bit but it stays in the hole securly. Without this setup I'd be dead in the water because I dropped my EP121 a couple of weeks ago and broke the included adapter plug! The EP121 was fine, the plug not so much obviously.

I've not heard anything back from Energizer on their tip solution since they emailed my a few weeks ago saying that they were confirming my measurements which seem to be confirmed by Edwood I believe.

3. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

I prefer 90 degree angle charging tip, since I have my XP18000 charge my EP121 in my bag. Hence why I made a custom low profile 90 degree charging tip.

A straight connector worries me since the tiny little charging port is pretty fragile.

4. dshaffer

dshaffer Pen Pal - Newbie

Will the other end of this "G" Plug fit directly into the XP18000's power output cable?

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think that he's only refering to the tip that goes into the EP121. The tip that goes into the XP18000 is a lot easier to find.

6. volosong

volosong Pen Pal - Newbie

To the following website...

XPAL Power | Contact US | Tip Request

...I sent...

I wish to purchase two XP18000 Power Pack units, but as of this time, you do not offer tips that work with my ASUS Eee Slate EP121 tablet pc. I will hold off on my purchase until a tip is available. Please inform expected availability date. Thank you.

- - - - -

Web form wouldn't allow a submission until a photography of the power supply tip was uploaded. Since my macro lens is at home, and the tip is so small, I just uploaded a generic image from the ASUS web site of the computer itself. Maybe if I get a response, I'll go through the effort of taking a legible image and sending it to them.

7. volosong

volosong Pen Pal - Newbie

Reply received later that day...

Dear Steven,

Thank you for contacting Xpal Power.

EP121 tip might take us longer time to develop as it is new device and we also need to pass Asus patent requirement. We will keep your inquiry status open on our database and keep you update for the news.

Thank you.
    Xpal Power

- - - - -

So...tip coming, but will just take some time. Perhaps if all of us who are considering the purchase of the XP18000 would send in a request, they might push it up the queue and get a tip sooner.

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

patented? it is going to cost us more..

9. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Patent? What patent? The coaxial DC connector is extremely common and has been around for a long long time. And Asus even used a commonly available size.

I call bullsh!t.

Glad I made my own, the one they'll likely make would be oversized anyways.

10. JoeJoe923

JoeJoe923 Pen Pal - Newbie

pilly i think this is the best solution so far reallly interested if it actually fits.

-david