XP vs Vista

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by ScubaX, Jun 2, 2008.

1. tcp_dpm

tcp_dpm Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a new Gateway C142XL and have a question for the masses. I will be using it for 3 things. Wireless access to patient information (medical records, etc, patient charting with Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional and external soundcard and microphone and drawing in Adobe Photoshop Elements on patient X-rays. Knowing this are there any tips you might have and ...

I have access to XP tablet and Vista Ultimate.

Would you...

1, Re-format the tablet as soon as you get it and reinstall the OS that comes with it (I guess I'm asking if Gateway puts alot of bloatware on these)

2. If Re-format, would you then put XP on it or Vista Ultimate?
    Is there an advantage to one over the other on tablets as this is my first tablet PC? I have been avoiding Vista until now, but as I said, I still have access to XP.

Thanks for any input. Please explain your answer as best as possible.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Vista is a nice OS, and i was very excited about it during its development, through the beta's etc. But i am very disappointed with the final result.

I was excited about it mostly because of the improvements to tablet functionality that it should have included, and i liked that the gui had changed, i was tired of looking @ Windows XP.

The tablet improvements include improved handwriting recognition algorithm, gestures, and the ability for the OS to learn your handwriting and nuances, and all of these amount to a better tablet experience, if you intend to translate/convert from your handwriting to text.

I'd say that between XP & Vista the handwriting recognition has moved from say 90% to 95%.

That said the downside of Vista for me, is that it doesn't feel as fluid as XP. Yes XP is an aging OS, and Vista is new, and there are a few programs with incompatibiliies, this isn't my problem. I have an x61 Tablet with 3gb of ram, and XP is still worlds faster to me than Vista, and i take issue with that. I can run XP with 1gb of ram & it feels faster than Vista w/ 3gb.

Battery life is also less in Vista, b/c of how graphics intensive the gui is, as well as the fact that the OS is always indexing etc. I've turned of aeroglass and tried other tweaks and i've never gotten the kind of battery life i get in XP.

I don't hate Vista, but i am disappointed.

At present, i run a dual boot with both XP & Vista...i want to like it, but at present i don't like it enough to run it as my full time OS.

I don't have any problems with program incompatibility, i make sure i run the latest vista compatible versions of the software that is important to me.

You have to make the decision if the improved tablet functionality is more important to you than the downsides of Vista.

Like when i'm in long lectures, and i know i won't have access to an electrical outlet, i will run the tablet in XP.

If you're going to use either OS. It is a good idea to do a clean installation without the manufacturers bloatware and programs that you're never going to use. You will defiinitely see performance increases vs the stock installations.

3. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

My 12 cell battery only lasts a couple of hours with Vista Ultimate, but I also have the most voracious processors. It takes forever to boot, like 4 or 5 minutes until you wanna make any inputs.

That said, I still like Vista better, because it looks way newer. Not the best reason, but Vista just doesn't bug me an awful lot. If I were a student, things would be way different.

You're using it for work. I would think battery life is more important than the extra polish of Vista, including the somewhat enhanced tablet functionality.

If you had a few batteries and could keep them charged.....

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Not sure what is going on with your system, but my 8 cell gets around 3 to 4 hours and my 12 cell gets 5 to 6. Mine boots in ~2 minutes. Maybe because I haven't installed anything but MS Office, CS3 and WOW. I also got rid of big fix and Norton which I replaced with NOD 32.

5. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

That's on high performance, full brightness. I got 45GB in programs, and have Object Dock and Stardock theme/icon packages running with Dream Scenes. Those take a while to boot, but the visuals are awesome and almost infinitely customizable. I have Zone Alarm. What do you think of them?

So, yeah, I'm not your standard case.

Honestly, I might get 3 hours out of the 12 cell. It's just already an issue in 2. That's with bluetooth and WWAN on, too.

6. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

i just got the object dock a few days ago, i kept getting confused at work where i often switch between mac and pc so i just figured id have the same layout for both. however, it does slow performance a bit.

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Yea, I forgot to add the other little things I have running. Object Dock, Side Bar, MS Groove, One Note, Active Words, Maxtor one Touch, Google Desktop, Sync2, NOD32, Aero . I turn up the brightness 3 to 4 clicks. I just timed my startup at under 2 minutes and ready to run with the exception of Active Words which alway seems to take extra time to start. But I had a text document open and typing in 2 minutes. Oh, that includes entering a HDD password and a finger print - which the 1st swipe failed.

I wish object dock would come out of hiding when using the pen. Only seems to work right with the mouse. So I keep it on top except with maximized applications.

8. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

my object dock comes up fine with the pen. i had that issue a while back even before i used object dock. the pen would have a hard time bringing up the task bar with autohide. i just recalibrated the pen so i could get closer to the edge of the screen. works fine now.

9. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Then there is definitely something wrong with your Vista configuration. We have tested XP versus Vista extensively over at German Thinkpad forum, Vista runs a tad bin more responsive and needs less power than XP.

10. drdee

drdee Pen Pal - Newbie

Were can I get these drivers and I am having a pen not working issues