XP Tablet or XP Premium on T4220

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daimlerguy

Daimlerguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I picked up Fuji T4220 on Thursday 21 June. It has the 7700 cpu. Seems like a great unit but we have one concern. How do I know the 4220 has Windows XP Tablet installed? The university requires XP Tablet for incoming freshmen.

When I go in to Windows - Accessories - System Tools - System Information, under OS Name it shows the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". For Version it shows "5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600". Is that really XP Tablet. That is the same info on my old Dell Latitude laptop. I bought the T4220 from my university book store and they told me Tablet is really XP Professional with a few add-ons.

It seems like a great Tablet but one other concern is that cooling holes are on the bottom, and the manual discourages putting the tablet on cloth as it will not cool as well. Perhaps that is why it is called a "tablet" and not a "laptop".....

Since this is our first tablet, we would appreciate comments from experienced Tablet owners. THANKS<

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Basically Professional and Tablet Edition are the same (as in Media Centre) but with Tablet Edition you get the additional items to control your Tablet properly and is what I would recommend over the Professional Edition.

Go to Start/My Computer and right click select Properties.
    Once the System Properties window opens, under General it should say Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My T4210 says the same thing and it runs TPCE without a shadow of a doubt. Some clues to help you along:

1. When it starts up, there should be an onscreen keyboard before login.

2. Once inside, look where your quick launch toolbar normally is (beside Start button). There should be a shortcut for the Tablet PC Input Panel.

3. Go to Start -> Run, type "services.msc", scroll down and try to find TabletService.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

And regarding the cooling holes, it will be fine without a cooling pad. Just make sure power management settings are set to portable/laptop and not desktop and you'll be safe from a potential meltdown. The main CPU vent is on your left side, just make sure that is not covered or obstructed. The memory usually does not run very hot, and the stock hard drive cools itself adequately (unless you swapped it for a 7200RPM drive, which could run really hot).

That said, using your laptop on a carpet would just be courting disaster... the usual common sense applies. The laptop feet should elevate the bottom vents sufficiently on a flat surface, don't worry.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. cplusplus

cplusplus Pen Pal - Newbie

XP Professional with SP2 installed is, in reality, no different from XP Tablet PC Edition.

Even if you had indeed had a "wrong" edition (say, you got XP SP1), you could just go to Microsoft, do some search, and download a patch (this SP2 patch!) to fully upgrade your XP to full Tablet PC edition.

So, as long as your XP supports your tablet, you are absolutely fine.:)

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you sure about this cplusplus.
    From my understanding of the agreement between Microsoft and Hardware developers:-
    For further information see here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.