XP Tablet (32) Vs Vista Home Premium (32) Vs Vista Home Premium (64) - Wich is the best?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dedraks, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Wich is the best S.O. for our TX Series Tabket?

1. XP Tablet PC Edition (32 bits)

16.2%
  2. Vista Home Premium (32 bits)

32.4%
  3. Vista Home Premium (64 bits)

51.4%
  4. Linux (Post distro name in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

Wich S.O. Is the best?
    Speed, Colling, Battery Life.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually none of the above might be the right answer. The current Windows 7 beta is VERY usable on my tx2z and everything is actually functioning with the exception of multi-touch, which isn't an issue TX2000's since it doesn't have multi-touch.

After a week of using the Win 7 beta, I believe it to stable enough for daily use, with the caveat that you have a fall back plan. I'm going to try to get the rest of my tools installed over the holiday weekend and if that goes well Windows 7 will be my primary OS on my tx2z but I still have my Vista Ultimate x64 hard drive as well in case I need to go back for what ever reason so I feel comfortable.

The ink and touch experience on Windows 7 is significantly better, especially the TIP, I think its much better than even in Vista and that's why I think that Windows 7 even in beta is especially compelling for tablet users.

At this point, especially on new hardware, its time to say goodbye to XP. Windows 7 looks to be very close to XP's speed for many and Windows 7 is now a pretty big leap over XP.

3. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

I've voted for Vista 64 bit for one reason only:

I have Windows 7 on a separate partition and it is fine except that I cannot create a toolbar. Under Vista, I can create a folder on the desktop, drop some shortcuts into it and then drag the folder over to the right had side. When I let go, it becomes a toolbar and I can put loads of shortcuts there (I have 18 at the moment). I can make it be "always on top" and it doesn't get hidden. It's great.

Windows 7 will not let me do that - and until it does (or someone shows me a good alternative), I will resist using it.

Alan

4. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

gah, couldn't u have made the poll multiple choices? I simply love BOTH XP Tablet AND Vista 32-bit.

But that's just me, both have their respective ups and downs.

And so, i'm waiting until Windows 7 becomes public :D

5. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I am a xp te guy myself, but i dabble in linux.

Common linux issues: no pen support. I have yet to try any form that has it work without me doing any work. I have managed to get ubuntu to work though.

XP TE issues: outdated really. Pen support isnt the greatest, but a hell of a lot better then linux

Vista issues: none, if your computer can handle vista efficiently.

7: Its a beta, and i need guaranteed support and stability. I know that it is stable, as i used it since build 6801, but until they release a final copy it has a ways to go.

6. heatlesssun

The only reason I even suggested using a beta OS full time was

1) The tablet features are much improved in Windows 7.

2) Windows 7 isn't really a new OS as much as it is a refinement of Vista and already enjoys excellent driver support because most Vista drivers will work with it just fine

3) Windows 7 is very stable. Sure they may be a glitch here or there but any good computer user has backup capability in case of failure or problems.

7. pattertj

pattertj Tablet Tweaker

For me, Windows 7 Beta 7000 has been less than stable. I have had daily crashes related to the taskbar, start menu, and the search features. All things I use daily. Fine for Beta, not fine for daily usage if you rely on it for work or class.

I voted for Vista x64. If you have 4GB of RAM go for it. Otherwise either x32 or x64 is good.

8. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Without a doubt windows seven is nice, but it has a ways to go. for me, it has been stable but for many high end programs that check your OS version number, you are screwed.

EX) oracle, sql server 2008, and visual studio 2008 all gave me issues that i did not meet the software requirements of having "either vista or windows xp". AKA did not recognize it.

When you have the amount of sensitive files i have on there, i go through the route of protecting my files. On my 2710p, even hp protect tools wouldn't work, which is a BIG issue for me because i use all of the tools. I also had issues with tpm security.

I am not knocking windows 7, i was actually the first one (that i know of) on this site using it LEGALLY and really have no complaints about it right now. If it was a final product, i would say yes i have issues with it. My recommendation is don't use it as a primary OS, instead go with something fully supported by all companies, not just Microsoft.

EDIT: 970261, the beta has been public for a while now...

9. heatlesssun

BTW, not to slam Linux, its a perfectly functional OS. However there absolutely no good reason to be it on ANY tablet machine that one intends to use as a tablet. It simply lacks all but the most basic pen and touch capabilities compared to Vista. The technology is at best an afterthought on Linux at the moment.

10. dedraks

dedraks Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed in my machine in dual boot and touch and pen works fine (not out of the box).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.