XP or Vista for t4220 + my needs

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by controlling, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

So I was actually incorrect about the lack of a floating TIP -- it just doesn't appear in firefox without an extension. The floating TIP acts very similarly to the Vista floating TIP, so on that front I'm happy.

I'm probably going to stay with XP because 1) I don't use the handwriting recognizer that much; I pretty much only use it to enter in URLs and file names, and 2) using photoshop, there's a bit of a difference between having 1gb of ram available and having 1.4 gb of ram available.

XP does have the slight annoyance of not properly connecting to the wireless after going to sleep.

If I wasn't running Photoshop, I'd probably use Vista. It's actually not that slow, it seems similarly responsive, given that you have 2gb of RAM. The new features are kind of cool as well. But that being said, my opinion is that it's not worth changing whatever OS your tablet came with :).

2. tabletdoc

tabletdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to ask again, I also bought my t4220 with vista from Newegg just 5 weeks ago- there was no restore cd other than for vista- I take it you received both packed with the laptop? IF that is the case I'll contact fujitsu- I went to the trouble of buying OEM vista XP TPC2005 only to find that it isn't possible to install it with tablet functionality unless developers tools are used. thanks

3. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes. It was in the box with the other discs, nicely wrapped in a bubble wrap packet thing. I can't believe installing XP TPC2005 is so hard...

I think the ability to downgrade to XP has only been recently approved by Microsoft, and I don't know if it's retroactive or whatever... so who knows if Fujitsu will be able to give it to you. Worth a shot though...

4. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a feeling that I might have to downgrade to XP sooner or later. I just tried to install Visual Studio 2003 and it actually WON'T WORK. I'm going to take a few classes this semester that will require some open source software, I have a feeling that they won't work with Vista and eventually I will still have to downgrade....

5. Xenoproctologist

Xenoproctologist Pen Pal - Newbie

VS2003 will work in Vista, though it will whine at you for a bit before it installs. I don't remember specifically what hoops you have to jump through to get it to install, but some thoughts:

If you're installing from a WinZip self-extracting archive, it probably dumped the files into your temp directory and then crapped out on loading the installer. Rummage through them first.

You may need to set the installer for WinXP compatibility mode and/or run it as administrator before it'll work correctly.

I recall the installer throwing up error messages about incorrect OS versions. Ignore them and click through; it'll install just fine.

Check this page for the master list of VS2003 issues on Vista.

Consider using a Virtual PC 2007 / VMWare sandbox. You can have the joys of Vista, a convenient sandboxed dev environment, and when your newly-minted app crashes in a fiery inferno, you can fake a remote debugging session without requiring an actual remote debugger.

6. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't want to waste forum space and open a new section for this problem. But over the last 4 days since i have T4220 with Vista, I have had the system locked up (Whole system froze and part of the screen is flashing and won't respond to anything) I have the the same situation about 4 times now and it just happeneds twice today. Any idea what might be causing it? If this continues I might be force to downgrade to XP.

7. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

I couldn't tell from your other posts, did you upgrade the RAM yourself at all? If you did, did you do anything to test the memory? My machine never froze with Vista, though it did lag sometimes...

8. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

As matter of fact I did, the memory I'm using was previous used very short period of time for my Macbook for about 2 month. Now that you mentioned it might actually be a memory problem, any program you would suggest me to run to test the memory?

9. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

I would suggest memtest86 which you can find on the UBCD

These tablets seem to be a bit more sensitive to RAM than other notebooks, what brand of RAM is it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

Crucial is the Brand. I accidently found the build in memory test tool provided by Fujitsu ran it a few times and found no hardware error. I'll give your suggested program a try. Thanks

I ran the memtest86 last night (I was so tired I just fall asleep next to the computer). Woke up in the middle of the night and there was no problem with the memory. I'll ran test for harddrive today to see if that might be the problem. But if the problem occures more often I will downgrade to XP. Again thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.