XP or Vista for t4220 + my needs

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by controlling, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice, but Vista won't let me do so. I even turned off the pageing function. I have a 100Gb harddrive and after system installation i have about 75Gb free. I wanted to cut it down by 60Gb but the maximum Vista allowed me to do is 36.6Gb.

To: clicq
    I have heard from other people that Vista is actually rather efficient as compare to XP, personally think it's almost the same. But that's just me.

2. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually had a similar problem. You may also want to try disabling system restore and doing a disk defragmentation. (In addition to those, I also temporarily disabled the hibernation function but it probably wasn't necessary, and I installed a trial of PerfectDisk to defrag the drive even further). After I did that, I was able to shrink the drive down to 37 gb.

But really, if you don't have anything on your machine yet, it's a lot easier to just wipe it and restore, I think...

3. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice, yea I will probably end up format the whole thing. As for the refresh install, I don't exactly have a copy of the XP I have the down grade XP restore CD from Fujitsu. Will I be given the partition function when I use the restore CD? I have never really used any restore CD before, it's usually just a clean copy of XP. Also I'd like to see more discussion on the different between XP and Vsita before i switch back down to XP.

4. Alpha Technogoddess

Alpha Technogoddess Tablet PC Noob

I'd like to know as well... I'm getting my machine on monday with vista... From what alot of people are saying it makes me skeptical and feeling like I shouldn't've gotten it. I have 80gb of HD space. How much would the system take up of that? If it takes up about half I think I'd feel downright jipped.

5. Xenoproctologist

Xenoproctologist Pen Pal - Newbie

Estimate: 9GB for Vista; 1GB for OneNote and cruft; 4GB for hibernation file; + pagefile as required.

6. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow....4Gb just for hibernation files? wow Vista sure is crazy. Maybe windows 7 would be the next better thing to wait for. Sometimes it feels like Vista was just like the last Mellenia or maybe I just don't know the true power of Vista....Anyways anybody would like to voice their view between Vista and XP? Thanks.

7. tabletdoc

tabletdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

hi aajeev, how did you get a 'downgrade Fujitsu restore CD' for XP? was it hard to obtain this from fujitsu (this would help me a lot!) thanks,
    TD

8. Xenoproctologist

Xenoproctologist Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, 4GB for hibernation files. As in: your .sig says you're installing 4GB of RAM, and the OS needs some place to dump that when you hibernate.

Don't blame Vista for that one. That's just the way it has to be.

As for the 9GB for the OS itself, 4GB of that is just a copy of the Vista install DVD for system repair and component installation. It's a big chunk to lose for such a (hopefully) infrequent use, but I guess it'd suck not to have it when you drastically need it. Kind of a lose-lose proposition.

9. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm doing it right now. There is a partition function on the recovery disc (actually, it doesn't seem to allow you to do the recovery without doing the partitioning??? Might be because I'm dropping from Vista to XP, and I think the filesystems are slightly different?). You can only make two partitions (C and D).

For my system (and aajeev's I assume also), it was included in the box. (edit) I see that you've been having a bit of trouble obtaining them. If they're not in the set of CDs included with your system, perhaps Fujitsu only includes them with preconfigured systems they sell through other places (such as Newegg, where aajeev and I both bought our machines)? Do you at least have a sheet about "Downgrade rights" in your documentation?

Downgrade results
    I just completed the downgrade, though I'm still playing with it, I do have the following observations:

1) Boot time is approximately the same between XP and Vista (~45 seconds from the time the bios screen fades to black until I can click on my login name), based on the first two clean boot after installing updates. This was rather surprising, and I don't have Office, Adobe CS3, or an anti-virus installed yet in XP. I removed Google Desktop, Picasa, and Norton internet security. XP does seem to boot faster to the desktop though, but that's a bit more difficult for me to measure.

2) Tablet functionality is sort of hacked onto the XP login screen whereas it's cleanly integrated into the Vista login screen (XP has that ugly floating keyboard). I couldn't figure out how to get a dynamic multi-lined TIP (the Vista one will add another line when i get near the end of a line). It's kind of annoying to have to stop writing in the middle of a sentence.

3) Vista uses roughly twice the amount of RAM as XP after booting. However, I had office 2007, adobe cs3, and symantec antivirus installed in Vista, so it's probably a little under twice as much.

4) I haven't yet noticed any difference in the handwriting recognition performance, though I haven't used either that extensively yet, and my writing is pretty legible to begin with.

All the hardware works fine with XP, as you might expect.

Otherwise, I haven't notice much of a difference in overall system responsiveness (I have a T7500 with 2gb of RAM). I'm going to use it for a day and see if anything else shows up, but as of this moment, I'm almost inclined to put Vista back on.

10. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the report Clicq and yes my XP restore CD came along in the Fujitsu box from Newegg. Vista is actually working well for me at this point. The biggest problem I'm having is not been able to use the VPN program provided by my University. Also the fact that im unable to decrease the drive volume down to whatever i wanted. I will stick with Vista for now and maybe SP1 can and will fix most of the problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.