XP or Vista for t4220 + my needs

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by controlling, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controlling

controlling Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to all your input, I ditched my delayed order for a c-140x and ordered a t4220 from newegg, which is due tomorrow. Apparently, the discounted newegg prices have the t4220s flying off the shelves, so that I didn't have an option and ordered the model that comes with XP tablet. My understanding is that Vista offers improved inking capabilities. For the most part, my inking will be writing on student papers (which doesn't require conversion to type), writing short notes, and using the pen as a mouse. For these uses, do you think it is worth switching to Vista? Come December, I'll be able to get a free copy of Vista Ultimate or Enterprise through work (they're waiting for more kinks to be worked out). If the change is worthwhile, I'd go out tomorrow and upgrade from 1gb to 2gb. If vista isn't necessary, I assume I can stay with 1gb for XP?

THANKS

2. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

From what I have herd the inking abilities of Vista are far superior to XP, BUT! i suggest you try it with XP and wait for that free copy come december just to save the cash because XP should suffice.
    yes you can stay with 1gb depending on what you do. I am assuming you are going to do basic productivity tasks so thats why i say stay. (meaning no video encoding or advanced CAD programs for you)

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Funnily enough, I mentioned this in a topic only yesterday.

I've been using WinXP Tablet Edition 2005 for ages and have never had a problem with inking.
    Vista does have improved recognition but using one of the work machines, I have not noticed any gains myself.

Personally I am staying with XP.
    I am waiting until both hardware & software companies sort out the driver issues and Microsoft go SP1.

Otherwise I will wait until Windows 7 turns up.

4. Mistah_C

Mistah_C The Reviewer

So you'd rather wait for three years with XP then use Vista? There are large improvements as well as an improved graphics interface but it still follows or is mostly based on XP's file structure and architecture which is based on NT/ 2000's architecture. From what I've read, Windows 7 will be a completely redesigned, and thus different, Operating System. Who knows, they might even get rid of that cruddy old thing we call the registry ;)

5. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using XP on my new tablet and XP x64 in my workstation. Frankly I'm turned off by Vista's lack of UI configurability vs. XP, because it takes up too much real estate and clutters the UI with stuff I don't want in my face, case in point this Search fetish you can't seem to get away from ...

MS designed Vista as the reason you should turn on your PC to play with. For me, the OS is basically the way I access the apps I'm interested in quickly and efficiently, not an end in itself.

But as always, every person's goals are different, so YMMV :).

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you read the paper on exactly how many users and business are staying with XP and are using it in favour of Vista.
    It's colossal.

Besides... three years is little time to wait ~ especially if my hardware and software is still not successfully supported.

7. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

While that is definitely true it isn't because vista is flawed. It is only because it is too expensive at the moment and some third party program kinks haven't been worked out. The same could be said at the launchof XP.

8. aajeev

aajeev Pen Pal - Newbie

Funny enough, I have just gotten my tablet from newegg yesterday. I wanted the one with more processing power and larger harddrive and because of the lack of the product i HAD to go with Vista(more like your situation only reversed). Personally, I don't see anything COOL with it. In fact I was almost going to format it yesterday because I wasn't able to partition the main drive for data storage purpose. Here is how I'm looking at it, this is my first Tablet so I have no ides what is the difference in inking ability between XP and Vista. And I have been running into problems with Vista and im getting pretty annoying by it. So comparing the inking advantage of Vista vs. the very well structure system (but less in inking ability). If more people here suggest sticking with XP, I might go back and format the system today and put XP on.

9. Xenoproctologist

Xenoproctologist Pen Pal - Newbie

No need to reformat to restructure the file system. Go into Disk Management, right-click the system partition, and choose Shrink Volume. Then plug your new partition in the newly-minted empty space.

10. clicq

clicq Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm actually trying to make a similar decision, though I already have Vista on the machine. Interestingly, (at least I didn't know about it till I dug around the box), the Vista machines (at least from newegg) have downgrade rights to XP tablet and an XP tablet restore DVD.

I'm kind of neutral on Vista. I am thinking about downgrading to XP though, just because I think I'd get better performance -- correct me if I'm wrong on this? (I have 2gb of ram.)

Is the ONLY difference between the Vista and XP tablet the handwriting learning support in Vista? Otherwise everything else works the same in regards to tablet functionality? I thought that since tablet functionality was kind of bolted onto XP, that it would be a better experience in Vista, but I guess not?

Is there any hardware that doesn't work as well in XP? (I doubt it, but just wanted to check).

I primarily use the machine for drawing (photoshop and the like), so if there are no other improvements in Vista's tablet support, I might just downgrade and free up some memory :).

Thanks for everybody's advice (it was mainly this forum that made me decide to get a T4220 over the other tablets).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.