XP/clear Vista installation on R1E

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kritzler, Dec 29, 2007.

1. kritzler

kritzler Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks.

I have my R1E now for 3 weeks or so. But with this crappy Vista pre-installation on it, it doesn´t make much fun to work with it.
    How did you get a clear Vista installation with this recovery DVD? I tried vlite but it didn´t work :eek:(
    And has anyone tried to install XP on it that is working? I would love to install it cause Vista sucks.

2. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know about the legality of it but you could find a retail image of Vista and try using your cd key to see if it will accept it but the chances are slim. As for XP I have a R1F so I started with XP but I wanted 64bit so I had to go to Vista. I am still having problems getting my speakers working and screen to rotate.

3. KingBorn88

KingBorn88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, i don't know if it functions for the Asus R1e-b1 but i've found this on the web:

"
    Hi,

I encountered a similar problem yesterday when trying to do a clean install on the Asus G1 with the factory recovery disks. I tried the solutions mentioned in this thread, but with no luck. I could not find answers anywhere else on the web, and I finally decided to call the Asus technical support line.

Surprisingly, I was connected to a technician in less than ten minutes. He told me that the secret is to boot from the recovery disk and go through the entire disk reformat and installation process. When it has completed, a window will pop up and ask the user to insert the drivers disk. The technician told me to just remove the recovery disk, force the power off by holding down the power button, and then reboot without any disk in the drive.

I was skeptical, but this actually worked. Better yet, it performed a truly clean install of Windows Vista without loading all of the additional drivers and utilities that typically come pre-installed on the system. This is exactly what I wanted. After the clean installation was complete, I used the drivers disk to upload the necessary drivers and everything now seems to be working fine.

To recap: The secret is to boot from the recovery disk and -- when asked to insert the drivers disk -- force a power-down and reboot from the hard drive. Bingo. You will end up with a clean installation of Vista. "

If you decide to try this praxis please keep us updated!

bye

4. kritzler

Hey, cool -> it works! Thank you for that, great find :)

5. KingBorn88

KingBorn88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh Great news ! thanks for testing:D

6. lakytus

lakytus Pen Pal - Newbie

Which drivers if any were needed after the new Vista install?

7. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

Video,ATK(function buttons and swerve 1) Omni pass, Sound (go to Realtek site) If you REALLY want Toshiba trade pad drivers

8. kritzler

I also installed the Intel chipset and graphics driver. And the wacom driver.

9. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Kritzler - How is your tablet running now??? I just pulled the trigger on and purchased an R1e from Excaliber PC - paid 1759... I hope it was worth it.

I typically fresh install every machine I buy - bloatware drives me crazy...

can you give us an update how your machine is running now???