XGA or sxga?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makutdaf

makutdaf Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my new 4215 today (Yeahhh!!!) but have an issue with the screen (ordered XGA and received SXGA) and will have to return. Here is where I am hoping someone can help me...please. I reviewed these forums many, many times trying to decide which screen to order and FINALLY decided on the XGA due to the wide viewing angle. I considered the Indoor/Outdoor but decided against it because of the reports of "grainy-ness". After viewing the SXGA, I know I made the right choice with the XGA (the SXGA resolution is just too small to be useful and not worth forfeiting the wide-viewing angle). Now am trying to decide if I should go with the Indoor/Outdoor screen (for the few minutes I had the 4215 in my hands, I noticed quite a glare on the screen when in a bright office) or stick with my original XGA Indoor-only choice. UPS is picking up the old one tomorrow and I need to make my decision soon (it was difficult enough making the decision the first time - can't believe I'm deciding again). So, just what does "grainy-ness" mean? Is it more difficult to see? How would the screen compare to my current tablet - Toshiba R15? Anyone? ...

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The graininess is simply the anti-glare coating you can see on the screen.
    If you were to compare it against a lot of super clear screens from Notebooks, it is quite prominent.

You need to decide if you intend to use the machine anywhere near a sun trap or a brightly lit office.
    If so I would opt for the Indoor/Outdoor variety.

3. SilverIce74

SilverIce74 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Fujistu ST5112 (indoor/outdoor). Personally, I think the screen looks great. I was outside yesterday, and in the car and could easily read the screen :)

Though I didn't (and still don't) notice it, my girlfriend said it looked grainy to her in comparison to my 19" LCD. Still, I think it was the right choice. IF, like P8rson says you ever want to go outside.

4. makutdaf

makutdaf Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally decided on the Indoor/Outdoor - thanks to your input. Now I get to wait *again* for UPS.

5. SilverIce74

SilverIce74 Pen Pal - Newbie

:) Let us know how it works out.

6. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes please..specially because you can compare both screens.. I need the advice before I order mine . Thanks a lot

7. P8RSON

As I mentioned in post 22 above ~ You need to decide if you intend to use the machine anywhere near a sun trap or a brightly lit office.
    If so I would opt for the Indoor/Outdoor variety.

I have and continue to use both Indoor only and Indoor/Outdoor screens for many years.
    By far my choice is the Indoor/Outdoor type.
    It may be slightly darker and grainier but at least it is great when the sun comes out or in florescent lit rooms.

8. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the feedback P8rson..sorry I am su stubborn!! =P Indoor/outdoor it is ! Thanks. And 2 GB update from crucial 2 x 1GB 667 MHz costs (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...2KIT12864AC667). Too bad the 800 Mhz for SODIMM are only 2GBs and are extremely expensive!

9. P8RSON

No problem airgaps.
    I can fully understand your concerns in wishing to get it right. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.