XGA or sxga?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Depends on how far of an angle you put the machine from you.

Most of my machines are XGA and for those it is absolutely no problem.
    However, the Toshiba which is SXGA is tighter at viewing but I still find it okay.

2. walkertx

walkertx Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks P8RSON for the prompt reply, i have been reading the forums for past 6 months and my choice went from asus to ibm to finally fujitsu, largely influenced by you :->. I am planning to get a fujitsu t4220 or t4215, but my main worry is the lower viewing angle in svga screen. I am worried that sxga screen wont be visible if i keep it in portait mode and i am taking notes, say on a normal chair in my class room.
    Could you please clarify.

3. P8RSON

No Problem...

Lets say you are sat and have the Tablet in Portrait on a desk a foot to either your Left or Right.
    You should still be able to see the screen and write.

Basically it's 40 degrees Left/Right.

4. walkertx

p8rson my concern is not the l/r angle, but the top/bottom angle, lemme explain, when in portait mode, how viewable is the top part of the tablet from a sitting position. i find that if i do the same in my 15.4" screen laptop, the top part isnt viewable at all from a sitting position.
    I hope u got my question...

5. P8RSON

Understood.....
    It's angle is 50 degrees.

In practicality, although it is not 100% clear, I can still see the screen to write and draw on without difficulty.

6. Jeni

Jeni Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you speaking as with the laptop on the desk or angled in your arms?

It looks fine 18 me in a flat position it depends on the angle your inrelative to it 'the top might be a little difficult to rad but not impossible. and depending on how you hold it in your arms it should be fine

7. walkertx

I mean like the tablet is on the arm of the chair in which i am sitting. Then is it difficult or not possible to view the top of the tablet when you are relaxed back in the chair.
    My other concern is whether the lights on the roof (usually present in my classes) cause reflections on the screen (svga, indoor one).

i appreciate your input

8. P8RSON

Sitting back in the chair may cause a bit of a problem.

Unless some kind soul gets in before me, I'll try it out on the M400 at work tomorrow for you.

9. SilverIce74

SilverIce74 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wondered about this myself, and decided to answer the question the only
    reasonable way I can..science. Well for some of it anyway. Sorry for the long post, but it should be usefull...

There are 4 potential differences between the screens:

1) Viewability (indoors and out)
    2) Writing resolution
    3) Things looking grainy
    4) How much you can display

I will address each in order.

1) Okay, I don't actually have the equipment to test this one but other people do. The XGA screen are more viewable outside, and have wider-angle
    screens. That's a fact. How much more? that depends on a lot so we can't do much science here ;)

2) The resolution of the pen is much higher then XGA or SXGA, and the windows API returns pen locations in floating point values. That means, that beleive it or not you can write between pixels. Well, at least the pen can pick up the signal there. What you end up seeing is an interpolated value. So say you write between pixel 1001, and pixel1002 you get both turned on at 1/2 the value they would have been if you had written on them directly. Google dithering, and you'll get what I mean. This brings us to 3.

3) The human eye has a particular resolution (both spatially and temporaly), and its not as high as you think. Here's a great reference:
    http://www.blaha.net/Main%20Visual Acuity.htm

Scroll way down to the table. What'll you'll notice is that even with 20/20 vision from 24" away you only need 100 dots-per-inch (DPI).

1024x768 screen at 12.1" : 118 DPI
    1400x900 screen at 12.1": 144 DPI

That means, under perfect viewing conditions, from 24 inches even with 20/20 vision they will look almost if not exactly identical. If you don't beleive me, get a laser printer and try it out as the website suggests :)

However, there are extra factors!
    i) viewing angle
    ii) pixels blur into each other
    iii) contrast is low on tablets

That means the minimum DPI you can distinquish on a tablet is much lower then you could on paper.

4) Okay, so you can still display more, right? Well, yes and no. You can display more pixels, but you can't likely distinquish between them. Example,
    you can display more text on a website. Well that's true, but only because when we designed HTML we did a bad job and didn't code things in terms of DPI we did in terms of pixels (a meaningless entity). The solution then, is to simply zoom out (like modern browsers can). So if you zoom out on the XGA screen, you will get just as much of the text as the high rez screen. Furthermore, you won't be able to distinquish between the two from 24" away anyways. But yes, the XGA will look grainy if you put your eyes within 18".

Summary
    ---------------

1) Viewability (indoors and out): XGA is better.
    2) Writing resolution: Equal
    3) Things looking more grainy: Only from close up...or if your superman
    4) How much you can display: More pixels with higher rez, but zooming out will give you equal realestate.

Conclusions
    ------------

All things being equal, of course higher res is better. The problem is not all things are equal. Higher rez takes more processing power (1.6 times the power actually), and you need a high contrast level to see the difference. Furthermore, higher res screens are not as good outdoors yet.

That being said, computers are still silly enough to think in pixels so defaulty setup the higher-rez screen will look like it displays pictures and webpages better. If you know your stuff, you can just zoom out on the lowe rez display and you'd hardly see the diff (if you can at all).

For those who have both (same model computer, or its meaningless) and can see the difference, you probably have better then 20/20 :)

So it comes down to:
    a) If the machine is available in that rez (my ST5112 is not)
    b) Do you want to spend the extra money
    c) Do you want to sacrifice viewing angle and outdoor viewing
    d) Do you want to zoom in or zoom out :p

BTW, a 19" LCD has a DPI of 86 so if you think they are super clear
    and 12.1 tablet is "grainy" then its the tablet's screen quality and the
    digitizer not the resolution :)

Final question? Does anybody think this would be usefull to post somewhere else?

Hope this helps.

10. P8RSON

For a first post HTH it is excellent.
    Lengthy yes but still manages to keep a hold on your interest.
    I for one am very happy with it's content and explanation.

Keep the content for the time being and we will see what others may say. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.