XGA or sxga?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkscythe

gkscythe Pen Pal - Newbie

can you guys tell why people buy XGA over SXGA? I always think that better resolution is better because more stuff to see, but XGA is way more popular than SXGA... can you guys tell why buy one over the other?

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The reason XGA is more popular is mainly down to the lack of manufacturers providing an SXGA screen.

As an example, in the UK you simply can not obtain either an ASUS R1F or Fujitsu Siemens T4215 in SXGA, you have to stick with XGA or lump it.

Having said that. I am more than happy with an XGA screen. :)

3. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I find the SXGA very useful in tablet mode. You are running as 1kx1400 in tablet mode and the extra "length" is handy. When I am in notebook mode I use 1280x1k, becuase I find the text too small to read in 1400x1k mode.

4. Edo

Edo Pen Pal - Newbie

gkscythe, I've wondered the same... I thought also the fact that it's not made for direct sunlight might put a lot of people off?

I was thinking to use it outside, perhaps to do some life drawing, but then I thought, wait... I might be under the sun... and then I thought (heh), wait... I usually get outta the sun when I'm in it... so the real question is, how will the SXGA screen do in the shade... anyone (better yet a user)?

Edo

5. Freeman

Freeman Scribbler - Standard Member

using matte screen outside in the shade is okay, but it will kill the battery faster than glossy screen. glossy screen tend to be brighter and little more shinier, so for the same amount out light output, glossy screen use less battery. Which mean, in order for matte screen to use use effectively outdoor, even in shade, you probably will have to bump the screen brightness from somewhere between 3/5 and full brightness.

6. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally I think the wide viewing angles take a back seat when compared to a higher resolution (especially when compared to the XGA 1024x768). I have XGA btw and the main reason I'd really like SXGA is that when writing, I can write as small as I want and not have my writing all pixellated as it is when I am writing on the XGA screen.

That said though I'll admit the low res XGA screen is possible to get used to (as I have done) but nonetheless if I had the option of purchasing an upgrade to the SXGA screen, I'd take it without a second thought.

7. Edo

Edo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm. Ok, great feedback... thank you! SXGA it is!

Edo
    ... nothing like an umbrella for portable shade! ;)

8. Jeni

Jeni Pen Pal - Newbie

As a SXGA user, I'm quite happy with it, the smaller text and everything takes some getting used to, but I've grown quite accustom to it in the last two weeks I've had it, that when I go back to my desktop screen the text looks huge XD having more room for stuff, is quite nice.

I haven't tried it outside yet, in the shade or not, and I would test it, but as it's raining right now (tropical storm barry, thank you, not) I cannot, and we won't be getting good weather until late tomorrow/early sunday

9. Edo

Edo Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh... thanks so much for the input Jeni, I for one really appreciate it!

Please don't go out now (because then who would I have to test it's shade capabilities for me.. heh... j/k), but please, once the storm passes and time permits, I would love to hear how it does in the shade (with perhaps some iced lemon tea)?

Thanks again.
    Edo

10. walkertx

walkertx Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the lower viewing angle on svga screen makes it not suitable for notetaking in portait mode?
    anyone who has svga screen, can they plz clarify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.