x61t touch screen problems in Vista

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Andrew, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. multitouch

multitouch Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my x61t. I was excited about the touch screen, but quickly found that it is extremely unresponsive. I really have to hit the screen hard just to get the virtual cursor and mouse up. There is no drag sensitivity, whatsoever. I looked for a touch screen control panel and found none. Lenovo did not ship with any type of useful manual explaining how to calibrate the touch screen. I am using Vista Ultimate. Anyone have any suggestions? This has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I got the lower res screen just to get the touch screen only to find it is absolutely useless.

I did some searching on the web and found no way to calibrate the touch screen. I saw an inkshow on gottabemobile that showed how useful the touch screen was. They were using XP Tablet edition. I am starting to wonder whether I got a defective unit or Vista is crap for tablet just like it is on other PCs. Any help would be deeply appreciated. I would like to justify the price I paid for this low-res M$ WinDoze craputer.

2. multitouch

multitouch Pen Pal - Newbie

After playing around with the tablet, I found the touch calibrator. It works ok now. I still cannot close windows by clicking on the 'x' on the windows. The touch pointer seems to be offseted quite far from where I touch the screen. However, touching buttons work well. From videos I've seen of XP Tablet edition, XP appears to be a better OS for touch. I can never grab the windows resize handles with touch because of the offset. I can now, atleast, use the finger flick to move up and down pages.

In the end, I'm ok with the touch experience on Vista. I've given up on being able to resize, close, minimize, and maximize windows with touch. I was hoping for iPhone-like finger flick and controls, but this is not the case. It's a lot more primitive. I'm somewhat happy with the machine, mostly because the light weight and bright screen allows me to read while lying on the couch. My overall conclusions are that tablet PCs still needs some work. Without multitouch, a stylus makes using the tablet cumbersome. They also need to make chatting while in tablet mode much easier. The stylus is just way too slow for this. It doesn't appear MS put enough effort on the touch aspects. Hopefully, this will change. For now, a tablet makes for a nice pdf reader.

3. smoothoperator

smoothoperator Pen Pal - Newbie

using your nail will make the touch screen more responsive, rather than your finger tips

4. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I use MouseImp Pro for Scrolling (works in all Windows apps) and StrokeIt for gestures. Don't know how well this works with a touch as I have the SXGA+ model without touch, but potentially you can control everything with (finger?) gestures. Both are freeware btw.

5. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

I'm going to quote an email response that I got from a contact at Lenovo regarding this post:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.