x61t hinge not stable

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by student, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wx3c

wx3c Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my x61t and everything works awesome, was really surprised how well the pen, touchscreen and the handwriting recognition worked without any setup.

Well, if there only wasn't the unstable hinge...
    When it is on notebook mode, the whole screen has way too much play, and turns easily up to 1cm in both directions when using the touchscreen on the left or right side.
    This can't be normal... and when i turn it to switch into tablet mode, let's say around 30 degrees the problem is gone, the display is perfectly stable and only turns further with alot more force than what is needed to use the touchscreen (so it pretty much should be the other way around).

Now my question is if i can fix this manually or do i have to return it (and wait on delivery on a fixed version...:()?

If you don't understand my problem please tell me and i try to describe it better, english is not my native language.

Thanks!

2. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Congrats to your new Thinkpad.
    My x61t's hinge does not show this effect but is pretty stable in tablet and notebook mode.
    But better let Lenovo fix that than "do it yourself".

3. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Exactly same situation here and i can promise you it wont get any better.

You could probably fix it by tightening the screws but because 1cm in both directions sounds like alot and yours is even brandnew i would rather return it if you can.
    For them to sell a Tablet in such a lose condition is a unbounded cheek.

4. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Try and get a full refund and get a Fujitsu T4220. The next X61T is likely to give niggly problems as well and the one after that. Spend 30mins and read through some posts here about the X61T and then pop over to the Fujitsu section and read about their T4220. Both are very similarly specified: santa rosa, 12.1 inch screen etc but there is a night and day difference between the build, reliability and customer services for both machines. Lenovo is definitely experiencing quality issues with the X61T.

5. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

Check out this thread before you do that:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=11532

Nothing is perfect. I for one need to download hundreds of 20MB raw camera files from SD cards into my notebook, so I'm SO glad I stuck with the Lenovo and reordered when my SXGA+ screen was defective. That slow SD performance would have been a real unexpected bummer. My second X61t has no screen / bezel problems, and has a zippy SD interface :D.

6. doctorcilantro

doctorcilantro Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine has a bit of play but I don't notice it. I don't move the screen around while typing or using the mouse.

Maybe call your rep and ask if the hinge play is by design, there's always a small chance it is.

DC

7. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

I wasn't expecting the T4220 to be perfect... nothing in life is. Wait. No. A X61T built like an X41T would be something close to tablet pc perfection.

I don't use SD CARDS (usb sticks for me) so its something I can overlook.

Are you aware of any other Fujitsu T4220 problems, posts that may have become buried deep in the forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.