X61t: ExpressCard slot? IR?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Maria_Andretti, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

In reading the detailed specs on the X61t on Lenovo's site here:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68041

In the section on Expansion it says the following (color for emphasis):

PC Card
    Conforms to the PC Card Standard 95
    The Type II slot can accommodate one Type I or one Type II
    16-bit Release 2.1 card standard and the new 32-bit CardBus cards are supported
    Ricoh Card Bus/PCMCIA Controller R5C843
    ExpressCard (34 module, 54 module) for upper slot

Now, in the reviews posted so far, the photos show the PC Card slot looking like its usual slot. Is there an ExpressCard slot on this puppy? I know they don't share the same footprint/pinprint.

-----------------
    As well, for anyone with this in their hot little hands, another reviewer noted that the X61t differs from the X60t because it doesn't have an IR port. However the same detailed specs above lists this:

Infrared (IR)
    IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing
    Speeds up to 4bps
    Compatible with a PDA or cell phone

So, is it there, and if so, what kind of range does it have? TV Remote range (bwhahaha) or just 'nearby printer' range?

Enquiring minds want to know (need to do something to fill all of this tablet-free time, dang it!). Thanks for any info you can give!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. PrimitiveWall

PrimitiveWall Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure about the IR slot, but the PC Card slot has a built-in ExpressCard34 "adapter", so evidently you can somehow use the same slot for both types of plugs. Don't ask me how, and I haven't tested this firsthand.

3. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

I've struggled a lot with this as well, because I require that my future tablet pc have an ExpressCard slot (so I can connect to an external graphics card).

What follows is my "best conclusion". I do not work for Lenovo, nor have this system, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

From looking at the specs/design of the x61t, the slot probably has connectors for both at "rear" of the slot. An express card is smaller than a PCMCIA card, though, so I suspect that the adaptor is a wrapper to make the card "fit" the general larger slot. Someone who has this system, of course, might be able to say more about how this adapter appears to work.

It is my understanding that a manufacturer is not allowed to use the term ExpressCard without complying with the standards, which require both the PCI Express and USB 2.0 connectivity. Therefor either Lenovo truly supports ExpressCards at full PCI Express speed (yay!), or they are non-compliant and could be slapped by whoever does slapping on behalf of compliance enforcement.

4. Rushan

Rushan Pen Pal - Newbie

On lenovo's site at this link: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67445
    It shows how to use the slot, but it doesn't seem to list the x61 tablet in the supported systems. As you can see in there little demos for the installing and removing, it fits into the same slot and might even be able to fit the epresscard 54 format as well. From what I read it should act the same way as the other thinkpad's that have it. I am not sure with the IR thing though.

5. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

Good catch, Rushan. And you prompted me to go digging further, and find this:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3551.pdf

The .pdf of basically how to disassemble the x61 (rather terrifying to see how many things have to come off in some cases). It has a chapter title on page 88 (.pdf page 94) which mentions PC Card/ExpressCard Assembly, but then doesn't actually show any further ExpressCard info or illustration.

I also can't find any mention of IR in it (yet; I've been looking at at the loooong parts list). I've got to run some errands, and then I'll look again late tonight. Right now, I'm kinda bummed about them selling stuff that isn't there (although that could be said about the whole tablet at this point!).

6. PrimitiveWall

Good find, but that article assumes you have two slots, a PC Card and an ExpressCard slot. The X61t has only one slot. The article says point blank that one-slot laptops have no support for ExpressCard, which contradicts the X61t specs. So I'm not sure what to believe. I wish I had an ExpressCard peripheral right now to test.

7. Mohjong

Mohjong Pen Pal - Newbie

8. PrimitiveWall

9. PrimitiveWall

10. Michael-P

Michael-P Pen Pal - Newbie

how about people owning this machine just verify this for us?? thank you in advance;-)
    IF it really has an express card slot--then i´ll buy it(with an XG Station...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.