X61 tablet w/ Multitouch screen - Please help: when using my finger on the screen the mouse arrow stays 2-3 inches away

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by sanvara, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sanvara

sanvara Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried calling lenovo support and they did not have an answer.

I have a brand new multitouch screen X61 tablet with Vista premium. The touchscreen works great with the pen but when I use my finger the mouse arrow stays 2-3 inches above where my finger is making it impossible to use. The arrow moves around on the screen when I move my finger but the calibration is way off. I tried re-installing the multi-touch driver and it's not doing any good. There's got to be some setting to fix this. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks in advance. The lenovo tech support said he had never heard of this problem.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

you need to try calibrating it, go into control panel, mobile pc, tablet pc settings

3. sanvara

sanvara Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank for the fast response.

Calibration came to mind for me. I did calibrate the screen with the pen. After your post I tried to do the calibration again with my finger and it won't recognize my finger inputs on crosshairs of the calibration screen. I presume because my finger input is 2-3 inches away from where it should be so it's not registering. So I calibrated again with the pen and rebooted and I still have the same issue.

Here's another strange part to this story. I know this is not a hardware issue because when I first got the X61 it had a 5400 drive. I had this same issue. Then out of the blue the issue stopped and my finger inputs were being properly recognized. I have no idea what I did. So now I have installed a new 7200 drive and used the recovery discs to reinstall and I have the same issue all over again. So there has got to be a setting I inadvertently clicked on to fix this.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I put the 5400 drive back in the X61 and the calibration is fine with that installation as I expected.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

4. DRTigerlilly

try uninstalling the HID devices, from device manager, and then try reinstalling the drivers and tell me what happens.

5. sanvara

sanvara Pen Pal - Newbie

Which driver here would I need to reinstall once I uninstall the HID devices from the device manager?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68009

MultiTouch - Windows Vista 12 Sep 2008 v3.0.0.1 ?

Ok I uninstalled all the HID devices and rebooted and they automatically reinstalled. Issue still occurs. Should I have manually installed a driver instead of allowing them to auto reinstall?

6. DRTigerlilly

ok, so i googled and i found this gunze site, and on further thought, it might be a better idea to install the lenovo driver, but i think i found calibration software for the touchscreen here. Could you install the Lenovo drivers then install this program & see if it helps w/ calibration?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. sanvara

sanvara Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for your efforts Drtigerlilly.

I found the solution.

There are two applications in: C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\TOUCH (or maybe it is one application (Wacon Mindidriver) but I clicked on both setup exe files found in the various folders in the TOUCH folder just to be sure)

I installed these applications and rebooted and then went to control panel and clicked on the "touch panel" icon. I clicked on the big calibration button and it opened up the finger calibration screen! (This screen would not open previously.) I calibrated with my finger and everything works now.

I had tried using the "touch panel" finger calibration tool before but it did open up and allow me to use it until I installed that application(s) in the C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\TOUCH folder.

Why did this have to be so hard? I would have thought that this would have worked from the factory on a fresh install.

Hopefully someone else will benefit from this info.