X60T/X61T: Post temperature using TP FanControl & Heat Mods?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by crashnburn, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

X60T/X61T: Post temperature using TP FanControl & Heat Mods?

I feel my machine is running a bit hot. I will post these myself tonight, but did not want to forget this question as it popped in my head.

Maybe its asking for a lot, but if you all post a little more, it could help determine where the average is/ where my X61T stands.

Please post some important ones or all of these details. I'd appreciate the help
    - X61T temperatures (CPU, APS, CRD, GPU) - (Post Boot Process, Post Boot allowed to Idle, Stressed)

- Which OS (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win Server??) (32-bit/ 64-bit) (Factory Preinstall/ Restore, Fresh Install)
    - UltraDocked/ Standalone?
    - Driver related information (OS vs Lenovo/ ThinkVantage drivers) if you deem it to be relevant

- TP Fan Control (TPFC 6.2) Details
    --- Fan (State | Switch | Speed)
    --- Fan (Mode: BIOS | Smart | Manual [0-7])

- Any thoughts, experiences, insights and words of wisdom on what you've seen / experienced and recommend?
    --- Power Schemes / TPFC Modes etc?

- Heat dissipation/ cooling modifications that you have done?
    -- e.g. Thermal Compound Change, New Fan, Other things?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

When was the last time you took the keyboard off and dusted out the fan and ports?

3. turbotom

turbotom Pen Pal - Newbie

Temperature after surfing the internet for ~30 min:
    cpu:46
    aps:41
    crd:41
    gpu:44

Using windows 7 64bit with mostly thinkvantage drivers, fan completely off whenever i'm on battery power
    Things I have done: replaced thermal paste and cleaned out fans about a year ago, and I have it undervolted and underclocked when on battery power. I'm using the balanced power scheme

4. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Temps after idling for ~20 min:
    cpu 43C
    aps 45C
    crd 45C
    gpu 41C

low stress (10% cpu load):
    cpu 49C
    aps 48C
    crd 48C
    gpu 46C
    bus 46C
    pci 43C

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, fresh install with most lenovo software installed
    standalone, sitting on a desk, plugged in and charging
    fan is set to BIOS, power settings are "maximum performance" (i changed some settings so speedstep still works).

the fan was replaced by lenovo around 2-3 months ago, they also replaced the whole motherboard. i haven't touched the inside besides to switch out the keyboard and palm rest. build date is 08/04. haven't had any heat problems, and i could use the computer fanless (for taking notes) before i sent it to be fixed.
    wireless card is intel 3945ABG, transmit power is set to 4.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  5. Stan S.

The TJunction of the dual core Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 processor is 100C. So you're not anywhere near the max. Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 processor - LE80537LG0254M

Lenovo is very good at designing heat dissipation, though they could use better thermal compounds (Artic Silver should be fine for this unit, but you can spend more if you want). Even though you may have had the unit serviced recently, you haven't stated your environmental conditions, dust, recent area construction, cats, pet birds, etc. My pet birds like to sit at the exhaust port for a little extra heat. :)

There's a little program called "SpeedFan" SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer that I have used on occasion, it allows you to create a custom table of fan speeds so that you can speed up the fan at a lower temperature if it would make you feel better. I use speedfan as a check to find out if it's time to blow out the unit- that is I see higher fan speeds all the time (e.g. my desktop cpu's fan speed if variable from 900-2100, if it's over 1200 constantly, it's dirty.) If you create a custom table (turn off Automatic Control), then what fan speed does is bump the fan speed to 100% when the temp is reached (returning to the standard graph when it drops below). Don't make it 46C, you'll run the fan at 100 all the time and lose battery power.

6. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

if this was meant for me and not the OP, i'm not having any heat problems. the heat coming out of the vent is barely warm, along with most of the bottom.

tpfancontrol appears to do the same thing as speedfan.

7. Stan S.

tpfancontrol was designed for slowing down fan speeds in mind due to noise. while you can use it to speed up the fan that was not it's purpose. It also doesn't play well with all the tp drivers and you may have to uninstall the TP power management driver. Speedfan was designed to interpret and display information from the mb sensors and as a bonus display SMART technology information as well as DIMM information and some exotics and can use this information in various ways to create customized fan speed, though I would say that it's more of an inquiry tool easy to use to check stuff.

Anyway, I did a bad thing and simply replied to the last item that I read, sorry. What do you use to underclock the mb?

8. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for posting everyone. I've been on the road so could not give this attention. Others welcome to post more until I can gather all this data over a weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.