X60T - Long term usage experiences?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by mikey104, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osaris

osaris Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I've just bought a X60T with XGA Multitouch and am very impressed and happy with it, so far. But now I've read from some users about terrible things after some time of usage. What makes me especially afraid is, that some people have a messed up part of the screen because of a loose connection within the display-frame. Others are reporting about vibrating machines cause of not correctly working fans. Besides - when I turn my X60T in some way, I hear a weired noise from where the fan is located - as it comes in contact with the bottom or top of the case but it is not anoying till now. I've read about touch-screens wich are not responding correctly to the pen after a while and direction-pads wich are not function properply anymore. All this things after a while and not from the start.

Built quality of the X60 seems good to me but now I'am asking myself the question if this is really the fact.

I would be very interested in the experience of X60T long term users. Please post you "after a while" impressions - this could shurely be usefull for other people, I think.

Thanks in advance!

2. snoggin

snoggin Pen Pal - Newbie

Had mine about 4 months and All is good!

3. redlands

redlands Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had some erratic pen behavior, but I think most of it has been caused by playing around with WACOM drivers. if you are very close to another computer, the screen/pen can also mess up. I also suspect I'm having interference with my antivirus (PCcillin), because everytime I download a update, the ink stops working completely. I need to download another product, but haven't gotten to it yet. A facinating thing is the game Inkball, which stops showing ink after a few uses. that must be some sort of symptom. Mine doesn't work anymore, but everything else does.

what has bailed me out is the Restore feature on the Thinkvantage button. I have been able to restore the computer several times, and also gone back and gotten key files that I've dropped. If your tablet is working fine now, I recommend you use the "back up my data" option frequently.

4. Alexkass

Alexkass Pen Pal - Newbie

5. GoBucks

GoBucks Pen Pal - Newbie

I would highly recommend you do NOT purchase this computer. I have owned an x60 since the beginning of January. I am going to list my issues below, but I will warn you to take them with a grain of salt because this is the first tablet I've owned. I don't know if it is common to have to troubleshoot issues with tablets on a weekly basis since they are a relatively new technology. If so, I guess I should have been smarter before purchasing. Regardless, many of my issues are with non-tablet related components, so on the surface, it seems like the problems are not a result of the tablet platform (unless the tablet drivers are interfering with unrelated drivers somehow). Here are my complaints:

1. The service - I have read on several posts that P8RSON doesn't like these computers because of the customer service. I could not agree more. I bought mine through a sales rep at the beginning of December. He promised me (promised as in guaranteed) that I would have it the following week. After two weeks, he promised me again (via email this time, so I have it in writing) that I would receive it that week. This cycle continued twice more until the beginning of January. He should not have made promises he could not keep. So I asked him to look into some type of compensation for making me wait so long. I am a graduate student, and I wanted it before school started in order to get it organized. It came at the start of classes, and I have been so busy that I am still not using it as I would like. He told me he would put in some kind of formal request for compensation. I never heard back. When I called and talked to another representative about it, the new representative was VERY rude and told me he couldn't do anything for me. He didn't even act conciliatory, he immediately got defensive as soon as I nicely began explaining the situation. I have several other examples of poor customer service, but this post would go on forever if I explained them.

2. The build - Most importantly, there is a loose connection in my screen so that the screen gives in at the center when I write on it. It sounds like other people are having the same problem. Also, the casing is supposed to be very sturdy, but it does not feel that way. If you squeeze the computer on the edge where the express card slot is, it gives in and feels like it could break. I bought this computer because Thinkpads have a reputation of having the best parts. Since I need my computer for everything, I cannot send it in to be fixed.

3. The software and drivers - Don't get me started. Briefly, I have spent every weekend since having this computer troubleshooting software and driver issues. First it was the tablet buttons driver. Next, it was the fingerprint and security software. Then it was the Access Connections internet software (which tech support recommended I just remove because they've had so many issues with it. I mean, come on.). Finally I just removed all the pre-installed Lenovo software. Next came the the power control software (hibernation, battery settings, etc.), coupled with the screen control software and the docking station software. None of this last set are working properly still. The final issue has been the tablet pen and wacom drivers and the wireless card driver. None of which tech support has been able to figure out (despite being on the phone with them every weekend:) ). The drivers and related software for all of these things have been removed and reinstalled at least once.

At this point, I know what you are thinking. Oh my God, what has this guy installed/done to his computer to cause all of these issues. Belive me or not, I promise I have not done anything out of the ordinary. I legitimately turn the computer off for the night, and turn it on the following day and some new conflict arises. It's mystifying. I treat the computer with the utmost care, and all driver changes have been performed per instructions of Lenovo tech support or website directions. As a reference, I had a Dell Latitude laptop for my four years of undergrad. I was much more abusive to that thing than my x60. In four years of use, I never once had to call Dell tech support about a software related issue, and the only hardware issue was a CD drive that gave out after four years and had to be replaced. In other words, I know how to properly treat a computer. Reinstalling the OS may fix many of these issues, but I really don't have the time, and the screen problem is grounds enough to be wary before buying this computer. And besides, I bought this computer based on the quality reputation associated with Thinkpads, shouldn't I not have to worry about these issues? I am currently submitting a formal request to Lenovo to try and return the computer when my semester is over and get a refund. Maybe I'll get an Asus R1F and see if I have any more luck.

6. Alexkass

thnx for the great! answer :)

which OS does your x60t have? vista bus or xp tablet 2005?

if it has xp (because it shipped last year) try to upgrade to vista bus. i own a tablet and expect one little problem (boot lag) vista works better than xp. vista has greater tablet features. but because my tablet shipped only with xp, i noticed some driver-probs.

P.S. your experience on x60t ruined all the good heritage thnikpads had... :(
    1. build quality 2. on board software were the to points that every ibm user (consumer or not) bought thinkpads.

7. GoBucks

GoBucks Pen Pal - Newbie

I have xp. I was hoping that upgrading to vista would solve a lot of the problems (when/if I ever get the time), so thanks for the advice. Yeah, it's weird because several of my family members have thinkpads and have never had a problem. Interesting observation that they bought theirs before Lenovo took over.

8. mikey104

mikey104 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to butt in, but now that my order is in for the X60, I'm a little scared. Me, being the...well my friend calls me "technologically impaired"...person that I am, I'm not going to be able to deal with software and drivers (which I hope I won't have to deal with...whatever "drivers" are) if they aren't working properly. But maybe have Vista pre-installed on mine may help. If you, GoBucks, have any advice or anything to make my experience with this machine that is SUPPOSED to come 4/09, it would be more than welcome.

9. Kenneth_Murphy

Kenneth_Murphy Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my new X60T a bit over a week ago. It has the sxga screen and vista business. It arrived less than 2 weeks after I ordered it so they seem to have their stock issues resolved for now.

I upgraded from 500MB to 2GB of ram (bought from newegg) when the tablet arrived.

So far I ran all the microsoft updates. I took the supplied norton av off and loaded kaspersky instead. I've installed several software packages.

Regarding issues, I have only seen two so far. First, the widget bar crashes on boot and then restarts and seems fine from there. Secondly, when I write with my wacom cross executive pen it has "lost" ink when writing at times. It doesn't seem to happen as much using the IBM provided pen. I am thinking about going to wacom site and updating to the newest drivers after making a save point.

It boots very slowly (5k speed HD) but software runs fine.

10. Alexkass

How slowly does it boot?

start-> type "event"-> open event viewer-> Applications and Services-> Microsoft-> Windows-> Diagnostics-Performance-> Operational-> and see the event ID 100 (start up time).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.