X60, Asus R1, or Fujistu T 4215

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Auricom, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menothim

menothim Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    My friends; I have been thinking abou tablet pc for lon time. AT THE END I DESIDED TO BUY ONE. I like x60 , but because it is not a DUE core 2, I changed my mind; then I thought about Asus R1 , but because it is not a presure sensetive I don't like it any more; so i found good features in Fujitsu T 4215, I don't know, I belive it is the best choice now dayes.

Please my friends before I pay $2,300+ :eek: I need your advice.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Saberwalk

Saberwalk Pen Pal - Newbie

There are plenty of dicussions about the T4215 versus the R1 and the X60 in the "What Tablet PC should I Buy?" discussion. I went with the T4215 over the R1 and X60 after reading the posts there. You have to make up your own mind. That said, I got the T4215 and I am very happy with it.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of the three tablets you mention menothim, my choice by far is the T4215.

Do as Saberwalk mentions and have a good read of the appropriate sections, building up your list of exact queries.
    Once you have your questions compiled, please do come back where the members here will be happy to help you out further.

P.S. Thank you for posting your comments here.
    As I mentioned to you in my reply to your P.M. you sent, you will have a broader range of replies by posting your queries in the forum as opposed to asking an individual. :)

4. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought my 4215 before the X60 was announced. I haven't read the threads, but I'm happy other than weight. Core 2 Duo is a plus, especially when you consider it is X64 capable, if that should become needed. No sure about the touch screen of the X60. I think you'd have to turn it off to use the device as a tablet. Specs seem similar otherwise.

5. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the Asus R1F but it had a problem that wasn't resolved where there was annoying static coming from the headphone port. I ended up returning it.

I then ordered the X60, but IBM was having shipping delays on that and it was going to take 3-4 weeks to arrive. I also noticed that the x60 did not have a Core 2 Duo chip, but the T4215 did. So I canceled my order and got the T4215.

So far the unit has been pretty good and I am happy with it. My few complaints are:

1. The warranty for the T4215 is much more expensive than the IBM. Particularly, Fujitsu doesn't offer Accidental Damage protection (if you drop it, they fix it); they offer Cracked Screen protection but it is WAY overpriced. If I got the Fujitsu with Onsite for three years + Screen protection, the warranty would be almost $700. An onsite warranty with the Thinkpad + Accidental Damage would be around $300.
    2. The T4215's battery life may not be as good as the X60. You would probably want to find some hard numbers, but I seem to remember the X60 had better battery life. I remember my x41 lasted forever on its extended battery; my T4215 doesn't seem to last that long even with both batteries. Of course on the T4215 you are getting a Core 2 Duo which uses more power.
    3. The T4215 is heavier than the x60. I seem to remember comparing the x60 weight with the extended battery vs. the T4215 with the secondary battery and find the T4215 heavier. It certainly feels heavier than my x41 did with the extended battery, and I believe the x41 and x60 have the same form factor.

Beyond that, for me, speed is definitely an issue. I am pretty impatient when it comes for waiting for programs to load, etc; I even upped the T4215's drive to a 7200 RPM drive from the stock 5400 and put in 2 gigs of RAM. At this point I wouldn't trade it for another unit. If the x60 came out in Core 2 Duo, I might consider that in the future.

6. menothim

menothim Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys for your advices, I will make my decision soon.

7. woutervegter

woutervegter Pen Pal - Newbie

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correct... The R1F does indeed support pressure sensitivity, although a few members have voiced concerns in not being able to get it working properly.

9. Saberwalk

Adamb78, can you point me to instructions for removing out the HDD. I am also thinking of upgrading to a 7200 RPM. Which, drive did you use?

thanks.

10. Saberwalk

Never mind, it is ridiculously easy to replace. Just wondering what brand/model drive you used. Is there a 7200 RPM Fujitsu available?