x41 vs. Fuji T4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by mynameisbob, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameisbob

mynameisbob Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, after waffling for a long time, it appears I'm almost sold on the Fuji. After reading into the x41 some more, it appears it can be pretty slow unless you reload windows, which seems like a mess.

So...

Since I'm on a budget here (kinda), I was wondering about which warranty to get.. Advice? The screen damage protection plan? The "executive mobile service plan"? A simple warranty extension?

I found this the most frustrating thing about these Fujitsus... I want a two-year everything, not three! Besides, what is so hard about having a simple accidental damage plan and being done with it, like other companies???

Back to the computer, i think I'll go ahead and go with the indoor display (this IS for school, and i live in ohio) to save some dough, cut out bluetooth, go small with a 60gb Drive (buying an external), get DVD burner and modular battery, but...

Which is more important, Ram or processor?
    Specifically, 2GB ram with a 1.83ghz duo, or 1GB with a 2.0ghz. Instinct tells me go big on the processor b/c ram can be upgraded, but which is more important to performance?

Thanks for the advice, despite my suspicion of all you Fujitsu (biased) owners. Although, no Lenovo folks chimed in, so I guess you must be right.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually it's RAM..
    You are going to physically see no difference in processor speed.
    However, with the extra RAM your Tablet will have more room to manoeuvre and in the end operate quicker.

Save the money on the faster processor.. Get the RAM. :)

3. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

1) if you pay for the full amount by some credit card, the card company might give you one extra year of warranty after the orig. one has expired. call your card company and check.

2) I would go for slow processor, and spend the money on extra battery or ram.

3) I think X41t is just too slow.

4. megaman1x

megaman1x Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. Go with the slower processor and more RAM. You will actually notice it. Also, ALL VISA cards do offer this "doubled warrenty". This is how it works:

If you purchase the item in full price on your VISA card, then VISA will double the manufacturer's warrenty, to a maximum of 1 year. So if the company offers 90 days, then VISA doubles it to 180 days. If the company offers 1 year, VISA extends it one 1 year. If the company offers 2 years, VISA extends it 1 year.

The warrenty VISA gives is identical in nature to the one provided by the manufacturer. They essentially copy the manufacture's warrenty policy-wise.

I think I'm going with the T4210 eventually as well. Indoor screen only.

5. jerrmorn

jerrmorn Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my T4210 today. I also have a X41. Let me know if you have any specfic questions!

6. megaman1x

megaman1x Pen Pal - Newbie

size wise, can you compare the two? Weight is fairly similar with the 4210 being a bit larger, but how about in overall dimensions? Longer? Wider? Fatter? etc...

I also saw your pictures in the other thread. Thanks a lot. That was a definate help.

7. jerrmorn

The pics I posted of the two side by side doesn't quite do justice. The T4210 may by spec only be a little bigger, but it feels much bigger. I think the X41 is balanced better and is thinner. It's hard to describe, but the X41 just feels lighter to hold in portrait mode and cradeled in your arm. Then again - maybe I'm overly sensitive since I'm so used to the X41.

One other thing - the T4210 gets HOT - too hot to hold cradled in your arm. The X41 never gets this hot.

The other thing - you can replace the larger X41 battery with the smaller one and it becomes much smaller.

I much prefer the form factor of the X41 but the T4210 is FAST FAST FAST! It is SO nice to boot up or come out of standby in a matter of seconds.

8. bruin13

bruin13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Jerrmorn,

What is your opinion of the T4210 versus the X41? I bought the T4210, and am debating if I should return it and get an X41. The battery life on this is 3 hours (when using wireless), and I am wondering if the X41 with the 8 cell battery is much better? Also, is the performance really that much slower with the X41? I am looking for a tablet to take notes, process word documents and surf the web. I am wondering if I really need a dual core machine versus a thin, light, more energy efficient machine (albeit slower).

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

9. jerrmorn

bruin13,

I loved the size of the X41 but it is slow slow slow. It was also very buggy (meaning unreliable - sometimes it wouldn't come out of standby easily and it would be embarrasing when working with a client). There is a long procedure for a clean install but it was much more than I wanted to tackle. The 8 cell battery did provide about 5 hours use but it really sticks out from the back and can be awkward to store (although it does give a nice handle when using it as a tablet). The small battery allows it to be really light and small but uses the battery up in 2 hours (with wireless on). However, one plus was that it never got as hot as the T4210 - however the X41 has an annoying hard drive click that once you notice it you can't stop noticing it (sort of like a small nick in your windshield).

I would not, at this point, get a the X41 now that I have the T4210. If anything, I would wait for the x61. In fact, I will keep my T4210 and watch the reviews of the X61 and if it seems they have worked out the bugs I may sell the T4210 and get the X61.

10. bruin13

bruin13 Pen Pal - Newbie

Jerrmorn,

Did your X41 have the max memory (1.5G)? If not, do you think that would make a difference?

Anyway thanks for the information. Very helpful for me. I will take your advice and keep the T4210. I too was waiting for the X61. I don't know when it is slated to come out... by the end of the year perhaps?

In regards to the heat issue, I noticed if you utilize the 'Max Battery' setting in the Power control panel, then the system runs less hot.

Hopefully this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.