x41 vs. Fuji T4210

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by mynameisbob, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameisbob

mynameisbob Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay. I'm going to college in late August, and really want a tablet.

I like the gateway specs (the core duo version), but it is MASSIVE, so no.

The m400 sounds good and all, but i looked at one in store and it had sluggish pen response and had an annoying feature: the eject button on the drive protrudes, so if you hold it righty and rest the bottom on something, it's really easy to accidentally open the drive... a lot. I did it about 5 times just that day. So that's out. Besides, it's about a pound (or so it seemed) heavier than...

the T4210. it seems like a nice machine, good features, esp. the core duo. Also, the ability to take out the optical and switch for a battery is really nice and easy (i found it by accident). It is really nice and seems designed well, but my favorite is definately...

the x41t. Super light and thin, I could go external optical, and it is just flat out well made. But... obviously, this is a year after launch, so buying a CPU that is really out of date and not vista ready (windows says you don't need it, but we all know you should have a core duo) seems foolish. But for the price, I could get the fuji for $2500 and the x41t for $1300 (discontinued at that store, with some rebates).

I would be doing basic stuff (word, excel, a jounral/binder program; business school: accounting) and little to no gaming. Should I even worry about Vista/the duo core???

Does anybody know about Fujitsu reliability?? (we all know thinkpads are great)

So the question is, which is the way to go: The up-to-date Fujitsu that will last 2 years easily and buy the x61t in 2 years, or save a grand for that machine and go x41t right now and count on Vista coming out late anyway, (Janruary? yeah, right...) just biting the bullet and dealing with the mortal solo core for two years???

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, I am going to be biased on this but at a very good reason.....

I have owned and run a few Fujitsu devices over the past years, most recently an FS P7010 and the newer 1510.
    FS appliances are without doubt built to last and operate superbly.

My P7010 I have now owned for 18 months and it has been an absolute god send.
    Like you mention of the modular bay battery option; this is a value item FS use and use it they do very well.
    My laptop can operate at 10hrs constant use and even though I use it all day every day, the batteries still perform as new.

Most certainly, if you are looking for the next generation hardware to run the next generation software, a dual core device has got to be your priority.

If you ask me, it's a one way race..... Get the Fujitsu :)

3. bgstewar

bgstewar Pen Pal - Newbie

I wholeheartedly say buy the Fujitsu. I've used the 4020 over the past year in school and the quality is undeniable. Plus, let me just say - you may think you won't need an internal optical drive, until that time when you desperately need one and wish you had spent the extra $$ getting a tablet with one built in. The Fujitsu 4210 is light years ahead in terms of technology than the X41t, so the choice, at least to me, seems pretty obvious.

By the way, Gateway tablets are crap - several people I know have had major problems with them. Also, their mousepads are horrible - lots of dead spots. Fujitsus have the BEST mouse pads of any laptop, period. Try it - you'll see.

4. gregmessages

gregmessages Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered the T4210, for the following reasons:

- I have been using a Fujitsu S6110 notebook for 3.25 years, approx. 60 hrs per week, carried from home to office weekdays, and have never had a problem with it, though at this point it is starting to have some hardware issues (not internal; it's stuff like the power jack, the screen hinges getting old, etc.). But given what I would estimate at about 10,000 hours of use, and being plugged and unplugged maybe 2000 times, and having the screen opened and closed maybe 3000 times, I think I should be more than satisfied.
    The one time I botched the security coding (it was my fault), my laptop had to be sent to Fujitsu for warranty repair. It really was my fault, but they took care of it anyway. They did this in one day. You call, get an English-speaking actual technical person in the USA, and they get it done. The day after I shipped it to them I called tek support to see if they were really going to turn it around in one day, and the guy I talked to actually had my actual computer on his desk, having just fixed it. He asked if there were any other issues he should look at, he cleaned it up and sent it back. Try that with the Dells of the world!

- I ordered my T4210 with the outdoor/indoor screen, b/c I like to work outside on a nice day. With the 1GB of ram and the 2.0 core duo, I am thinking this thing will scream right along!

- I can't stand this new flavor-of-the-month widescreen that everyone is going to. It eliminated about 95% of my options. I think that all these computer makers think we all want to sit and watch DVD movies and that's it. For those of us who actually use our computers for work, the loss of vertical screen in Word documents is not acceptable. The T4210 has a good old fashioned 4:3 screen ratio.

- Really, I just find Fuj's customer service outstanding, and their machines appear to be very well made.

5. gregmessages

gregmessages Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, and one more thing: It has a built-in DVD/CD drawer, and all for 4.5 pounds.

6. waltzzz

waltzzz Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem with the T4210 is the XGA. I have a Toshiba M200 & I just set it to XGA from SXGA+ and I had to switch straight back. I am hoping Fuji will make one with SXGA+ - I think it would beat the M400 - so patience is the order of the day for me. Also I think I'll wait till Vista is settled into new machines. Looks like there will be some great strides ahead.

7. P8RSON

I think this waltzz is all a matter of personal preferences.
    Some will love the higher displays of the SXGA+ whilst others will loath it due to the 12.1" screen size.

Personally, I am with the XGA option.

8. waltzzz

waltzzz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sure it is personal preference. I must admit I zoom in a lot & that is easy to do in most apps. Doing that right now here in Firefox. It is a pain when I can't.

Fuji still sounds excellent. What is the fan noise like - this seems a constant complaint for the M400 and has put me off as I use the machine in a clinical setting where quiet is important.

9. P8RSON

Fujitsu Siemens use a different design of fan...
    It's hard to explain but imagine a normal fan with blades running parallel to each other.
    FS use a different design in that the blades are crossed against each other.
    What this does is make the air flow much faster at a reduced speed.

The consequences of this are:-
    1. More air is distributed.
    2. The fan operating at a lower speed ~ end result is
    a) when it is in operation it is remarkably quiet.
    b) it doesn't need to be on as long as other fan designs.

My FS P7010 & P1510 both fall in these category.

10. jackeroo75

jackeroo75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Fujitsu 4210, is not popular on this site but the school of Virginia Tech has form a partnership with Fujitsu Corporation. VT school of enginerring requires every incoming student to purchase a tablet pc.

http://www.eng.vt.edu/academics/comp_require.php

I'm going to college in the fall of 2006 and will be purchasing the Fujitsu 4210.

My main purpose of getting a tablet is to take notes, record lectures, and stay organize. I've done some research on this and believe this tablet is for me for a number of reasons:

1. It's capable of having 10 hours of battery time because of main battery and modular bay as stated from the previous post.

2. Convertible Tablet for me because I need to takes notes and need the keyboard for convinence because its so much faster to type!

3. It's the only thing I'm going to carry in my backpack with me since all my textbook will be scanned in as PDF using the opticbook scanner.

http://studenttabletpc.blogs.com/the_student_tablet_pc/2005/07/how_to_pdf_your.html

4. It's Vista Ready!

5. Customer support is proven to be one of the best in the business.

6. Accessories! Fujitsu have a wide range of accessories to choose from than most other competitors.

PS:
    Though I never been a guy that would purchase additional warranty I would recomend you do so since you are paying 2k for this tablet and the screen can go bad within that time frame.

Jackeroo75

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.