X41 or TC4200?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bowlrider, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Sarobot

Sarobot Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been looking for a Tablet PC for a few weeks now, and I have narrowed it down to either the X41 or TC4200. I like the fact that the X41 is light weight and has a fingerprint scanner, but the 4200 has better performance for about the same price.

Would you guys give some of your own opinions on this?

2. Ant6n

Ant6n Pen Pal - Newbie

well, i hvae the t4200 and i like it.
    also advantage is the fact you have a cd drive and a normal laptop hd. disadvantage - probably the x41 is a little more sturdy (dont get me wrong, the t4200 is sturdy, but i sometimes get worried when i throw it around), and the parallax on the t4200 is annoying me (i think the x41 has less os that), also the t4200 is heavier, and thicker

....at the end of the day it matters whats more important for you

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be clear, you're comparing the Lenovo and the HP right? I think Ant is referring to the Fujitsu. Anyway, the X41t is far superior in terms of build quality and security features, both in terms of access to the machine and things like hard drive protection.

4. bowlrider

bowlrider Pen Pal - Newbie

It is obviously going to depend on if performance is one of your priorities and just how important the fingerprint reader is to you.

I just sent my x41 back, mainly due to lack of performance along with another fairly fatal issue I had with system backups.

I had the 1.5gh 60gig hdd and 1 gig of ram.

The problem I have with the x41 is with the system pretty close to being maxed out... the performance I was experienceing was the best the system was going to get. very dissapointing, because I really did like the design. the 1.8" hdd really is the downfall of the sysem

I just got my TC4200 a couple of days ago, and so far the performance difference was well worth the exchange, The TC4200 is very sturdy, but the x41 felt just slightly better quality.

but for the money... I think the tc4200 puts out a higher performance tablet, with darn near the exact same quality of the x41.

I do really miss the sleeve that IBM offers though,

Oh yea, my current system is a 2.0gh 60gig hdd, + 1 gig ram.. still very quiet, keeps pretty cool but nice and fast

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

The IBM will allow you to shed about a pound over the HP. However, at least at present the max HD you can get in 1.8" is 60G and you certainly won't find them at the local CompUSA. Having a standard 2.5" HD was one of the deciding factors in my purchase of the HP. The cost savings haven't hurt any either.

6. shanulk

shanulk Pen Pal - Newbie

here is a quick comparision between models that are very similar in specs...

Attached Files:

7. bowlrider

Actually if you want the 4-5 hour run time, then you have to get the 8 cell battery for the x41, then you gain about 1/2 of a pound back...also note that it adds an extra 1.5" to the back of the tablet. So now the x41 is only 1/2 lb less than the tc4200 but it becomes 1.5" wider.

Not only is 60G the max hdd space you can get but whats worse is the 1.8" only comes in 4200rmp which really slows the system down.

if you want a system that you plan on keeping for a while and have more upgrade options avialable in the future, you have to go with the tc4200.

8. bowlrider

the only thing I would disagree with is weight.

my x41 with the 8cell battery weighed in at just a touch over 4lbs.