x230t screen protector

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Zero, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Is anyone who is getting the x230t getting a screen protector?
    I'm getting the Gorilla glass option so I wanted to know if getting a screen protector is almost as important as if it didn't have Gorilla glass.

2. AndreR

AndreR Scribbler - Standard Member

A screen protector is not needed. I have used my tablet for a year without a scratch, and my old HP was 3 years without scratches.

3. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

I heard the screen does lose responsiveness the more it is used according to some Virginia Tech tablet pc sales guy.

4. Cads

Cads Pen Pal - Newbie

My phone has gorilla glass and I've noticed some very little micro scratches on its surface after about half a year of use, but a phone faces different kinds of duress than a convertible tablet screen.

My x220t is the infinity glass version and I really wish I'd put a screen protector on it the moment I unboxed it. Here's why: Unfortunately the latchless design of the screen lid make the screen glass vulnerable. When you get your machine you'll notice two black plastic tabs along the left and right edges of the keyboard which notch into recesses on the back and front of the screen lid. Their purpose is to keep the screen hinge from spinning when the lid is closed or in tablet mode. Also on the x220 the top row of keys sits just a smidge higher than the rest of the keyboard by about 1/16 of an inch. So what happens is those tabs I mentioned wear and eventually might fall out. When that happens the screen can spin a few degrees in its hinge while its sitting in your bag or whatever, and the top row of keys start gouging out grooves on the screen surface in a circular pattern. Even with the tabs intact the hinge has enough play for the keyboard to damage the screen. I'm pretty sure even gorilla glass wouldn't hold up to this.

Now the keyboard on the x230 has been redesigned so maybe this won't be a problem, but the pen (and especially he eraser) can still catch small particles of very hard dust and cause damage that way. You can get around this by taking excellent care of your screen by cleaning it regularly, laying microfiber along the keyboard everytime you close the lid, etc., but to me best practice is go get a good screen protector.

5. Zero

Can a screen protector made for the X220t fit the X230t fine?

6. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

it seems like some computer people at schools don't really know what they're talking about, plus it's a sales guy. i haven't had any responsiveness problems with any tablet PC i've used including a tc1100 which is around 9 years old now.

my tm2 had maybe one noticeable scratch on the screen and i've seen pretty bad X61 screens, but if the x220 and x230 are like the tm2 (more "glass"/plastic like) then you don't really need a screen protector. they are cheap if you want one and generally don't reduce the screen quality too much.

7. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

How do you like the machine?

8. Zero

It's pretty nice. It was my first Lenovo laptop so I can't compare it to the older models. The screen and the keyboard are the most impressive features. I just wish the screen had a higher resolution but it's still great.

9. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

My Galaxy Note screen scratched on day 2. I was using the wacom pen from x61t, which I have a felt nib on it. I never imagined it would scratch so easily. I wipe my screen very often and take good care of gadgets. After that, I have a $2 screen protector. I would put a screen protector on the X220T/X230T even if you have Gorilla Glass.

Now, can anyone recommend a cheap screen protector on ebay? I mean the $1-$5 ones, and not the $20-$40 ones. I tried cutting a $25 3M Vikuiti matte screen protector on X220T, but touch interface wouldn't work with that. I thought maybe the silicon sticky on the screen protector was too thick for it.

10. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

I got the Exim glossy/clear screen protector from ebay, two for $15.99.
    No problem with touch interface, and it was placed without any dust or any bubbles, perfectly placed. I had a scotch magic tape handy while placing the screen protector. After looking at the finished screen now, I think I should have got a larger 13.1" screen protector since that would have covered the whole shiny part of the glass. Something like this one, which is only $3.49 shipped. But now it's too late since I don't want to redo all this again. Maybe if it gets damaged badly, I'll try the cheaper 13.1 inch one made for Vaio Z.

I didn't get the matte because that could cause white speckles/grains all over the screen. Besides, the clear/glossy is easier to clean.

Update 8/9/2012: I got the $3.29 screen protector. Much better because the extra coverage on the borders.

Here's some pictures for the 13.1" screen protector that I put on my X230T. It was only $3.29 for two screen protectors free shipping (ebay item 390368290737). Touch works fine, pen is super slick. I actually like the glossy screens because colors are more vivid and it's easier to write and very easy to clean. This job was much harder than a regular 12.5" screen protector. You have to be a PRO like me! haha. On one finger, you need the Scotch magic tape to get rid of the dust. It's harder than usual because the screen is not completely flat on the border lines of the visible screen area, and then another matte area. I managed to squeeze out all the air between the actual screen and the first border lines, but because there's still some difference between the shiny black part and the most outer matte black part, there are some (1-2mm) strip of air seen on the right edges.
    As a screen protector, it is much better than a 12.5" protector because now I can freely write on the edges without fear of the pen's tip falling off the screen protector while writing on the edges, and touch even works better on the edges and I don't feel the awkwardness of the screen protector.

2012-08-09 19.28.11.jpg

2012-08-09 19.28.29.jpg

2012-08-09 19.28.41.jpg

2012-08-09 19.28.56.jpg

2012-08-09 19.33.29.jpg

I did it like a pro. No dust no bubbles at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.