X230t first impressions? Fail. Build quality issues.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by MooseHat, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

The case is a magnesium composite (otherwise it would dissolve when wet). It gets molded like plastics. I would bet money that someone tried to speed up the machine to be more productive and produced some product that was out of spec, and not expected to be out of spec because it would have been so unusual.

To me, this is part of the continuing increase in the number of products being made in the new 'high speed' factories where they are striving to produce a set portion of a year's part in a single run. While Lenovo and others build assembly factories, the parts are made by 3P companies who have to get through a run as rapidly as possible and go on to the next order. Look at Samsung's current issues with the 'blue' GSIII, where the case is uneven in color and subject to returns. Samsung has it's own factories and is attempting to produce 5M GSIII a month to meet demand, that's nearly 2 GSIII's each second. (116.6 per minute actually). They've made thousands to perhaps hundreds of thousands before they discover defects.

2. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

A young aspiring entrepreneur could make some good money promising to build a defect free tablet pc. Customers would be lining up for a high quality tablet.

3. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, but I think your're wrong. When the tablets were priced higher and spending $2-3K wasn't uncommon they were not popular and limited to people who really really needed the functionality- and as many people will say, better made across all companies. The current price range is much more competitive and makes it into the realm of possibility for the average consumer but isn't going to displace mass produced iPads anytime soon or under $1K laptops. Convertibles are not the big sellers yet.

4. MooseHat

MooseHat Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to post a quick update: I was contacted by a Lenovo community manager on the support forums, and they want to look into the wobbly-foot issue, and possibly the other issues. They sound very proactive in making sure this isn't an issue for other X230ts.

I'm glad they're taking it seriously, and mods have fixed what I reported as censorship on the forums. (Apparently it wasn't intended that way, though I interpret it as having had that effect.)

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It might have been an isolated issue restricted to a particular batch. Keep us posted! You fought for your rights as a consumer and I commend you for that.

6. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

I did buy the earlier tablet pcs. They showed promise and were expensive. But they were underpowered in 2003. I would say the technology was rudimentary at the time. Touch, screens and CPUs are just now becoming acceptable regardless of what the price is. Finally software is becoming adequate for use.

Toshiba Portege 3500- Windows XP Tablet Reviews by Mobile Tech Review

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  7. MooseHat

Someone just posted on the Lenovo forums that they too have the same warping issue! So time will tell. I'll keep this thread updated.

8. MooseHat

I got an update from Lenovo. They examined the laptop and determined that the light leakage isn't a manufacturing defect and not visible in normal conditions. I agree with the first statement (though it's not ideal) and disagree with the second, as I found it significantly worse than my x201t while watching a movie. But it's not a dealbreaker to me, as others have reported that other PC laptops with modern displays have this issue. I'm not sure I could do better with another laptop.

They also said that this condition (which presumably they reproduced):

[​IMG]

Is due to the design of the machine. They said the chassis on my machine isn't warped and the raised foot isn't due to a manufacturing defect, but it's "due to aspects of the 6-cell battery and overall system mechanical design."

It's probably clear already, but I believe this is a serious problem. It may be as-designed but it is unequivically and unacceptably a defect. No laptop with any system battery should be designed with this issue, and especially not a ThinkPad.

Lenovo is trying hard to make sure I'm happy with the machine, but unfortunately the 3-cell batteries are backordered and using a 3-cell over a 6-cell would obvoiusly mean making compromises in system runtime and battery wear (3 cell means deeper cycling and shorter lifespan). All my contact with Lenovo's support and community representatives have been pleasant, and I feel I've gotten help with this issue (with the exception of some initial moderator action in the thread on the Lenovo support forums), but I don't feel this is an acceptable resolution.

I don't know what Lenovo can do short of changing the battery design, which is clearly unrealistic. I'm not sure what I'll try to do with the machine yet.

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

So they prefer to state that the machine was poorly designed, instead of admitting a (hopefully) rare manufacturing flaw? That means that, to them, general customer trust in the brand is a not so well regarded currency. Who would have thunk?

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I do think it's amazing they are able to offer these specs on a convertible for the price of $1200-$1400 or so, so I would expect they had to cut a few corners in order to keep it to a consumer price range. (thats as much as a S7S!)
    But this seems like just dumb engineering! The battery lifts one leg in the air?? That seems so cheap!
    I would get the 3 cell and the slice, a nice compromise perhaps, if you could live with the other issues. I wish Fujitsu was slightly more affordable, but I don't want them to compromise quality too drastically for the price drop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.