X230t first impressions? Fail. Build quality issues.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by MooseHat, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MooseHat

MooseHat Pen Pal - Newbie

Even buying directly from Lenovo is cheap. I was thrilled when it came out to ~$1200. My X201t was something like $2100, as was my X60t and X61t. The funny thing is, even then, I felt like I got $2100 worth of computer. I felt I got $500 worth of Asus netbook with the X230t. :(

2. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

Thanks for the first impressions, the battery I believe has its reasons -- to help usability and grip when in slate mode. The uneven feet and resulting wobble, that's unforgivable and Lenovo should give a replacement or return for sure. I've seen the flaky sticker in a ThinkPad I had a few years back, it's rare to see and you can glue it back on, but again unforgivable and not confidence inspiring.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think I misunderstood your point. I'm in complete agreement with you. The warped bottom shows shoddy quality assurance and quality control. I thought you suggesting that only an overly fussy laptop user would be upset by a wobbly bottom. I think any owner should be concerned.

4. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

My condolences for that experience.

And it really seems the impression I have, that the Thinkpad brand does not stand for superior build quality in general anymore, is true.

Good luck on your next try, whatever brand and model it will be :)

5. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Do any tablet PC makers use a carbon fiber or aluminum chassis with good build quality?

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

This may explain how Lenovo has managed to sell ThinkPads for a mere $400. Also how they have managed to report extraordinary earnings quarter after quarter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

From reading your review, I would interpret the keyboard flaw as related to the warped base of the case. It's possible that the case wasn't cooled enough when it was removed from the mold as it caused the 3 leggedness as well as translating to the keyboard not laying correctly in the top bezel. I would think that there will be some more people with similar issues before long. As for the rest of it, magnetic latching reduces moving parts (and it's a update that gives cleaner lines to the top). Sorry for you bad experience, it's sort of a shame you wouldn't allow a replacement it would have helped determine if Lenovo is aware of the problem and addressing it.

8. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought the case was made of magnesium. Shouldn't these cases be better than most?

9. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

They are, if you get one that isn't warped.

@OP: Return it! Lenovo's QC has been getting worse and worse - both the T520s I ordered had defects that would have required warranty services. That warped base unit is absolutely unacceptable and might even cause issues with warranty down the line ("This unit has obviously been mistreated!")...

If you're really hurting for a Thinkpad (like I was), keep returning defective ones and ordering new ones until you get one that has only issues you can fix yourself...

10. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow.. seriously,, LOL!!!! What a disaster! I returned my X220T last year when I noticed the digitizer was not working properly on the edges of the screen. I was hoping the new X230T would fix the fugly buldging hump battery, but I guess it's still there. Your X230T standing on 3 feet should be really embarrassing on Lenovo's part. Not even $200 Acer AO722 netbooks do that. So that's why the price is lower now.

Just curious, does anyone know if the digitizer works okay on the edges?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.