X220T Pen Input Screen Edge Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by david7586, May 26, 2011.

1. david7586

david7586 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey All,

Just got my x220t with MT from cost central. I've been comparing it to my x201t with outdoor viewable screen and have found it to be an acceptable upgrade. I am DEFINTELY losing out on screen brightness and color reproduction moving to the x220t, but I feel the MT option is the way of the future. More importantly I bought the tablet for indoor sketching so I feel the slight loss in optics is an okay tradeoff for the MT functionality that adds to the OneNote, Art Rage, and Photoshop experience.

However, I am having a qualm with the edge sensitivity of the x220t, which I'm only being a stickler for because of my x201t. The bottom left edge about 0.5" from the edge of the screen seems to be calibrated off and the pen tip doesn't follow where the cursor is. Is this considered a defect or within acceptable tolerances? I guess it's not a deal breaker as who writes against the edge...I just ask because I don't want a NEW machine with a slight defect.

What do you guys think?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it doesn't detect it at all within that bottom .5" ? if so then that is a major defect with your unit, and you should have the screen replaced by Lenovo ASAP (getting to the edge of the screen is important to get to the taskbar, scroll bars and other on screen things when in the various screen orientations)

If it detects it, but it it jumps around, or it moves wildly when in that .5" then it is a defect, and you should still have it replaced.

I'm curious though, what functionality does touch add to Photoshop? I've had a Tm2 [wacom en + multi-touch] in the past with Photoshop, and everyone else with a touch screen running Photoshop has seen the same thing that Photoshop really doesn't support touch well, and doesn't do panning or zooming well/ if at all (for me it seemed to work once in every 30 times I tried it); One Note and artrage support touch pretty well... from what I know of it Photoshop wasn't written to support touch properly, and they aren't doing anything about it sadly...

3. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

4. david7586

Thanks Agent for the reply!

It's the latter, with the edges not aligning correctly with the tip even after a calibration. I may try different drivers...but I feel it's hardware related.

I don't recall if CS5 does this, but CS 5.1 does pan with finger touch; however, I think this is part of the windows 7 touch api and not the work of adobe. pinch to zoom is not functional but I wasn't expecting it to be. Fortunately, pressure works out of the box with Photoshop, which was definitely a sigh of relief.

I got my lenovo from Cost Central, so I will see what their return policy is like.

Is this happening to anyone else on their Lenovo? I had the inclination this was standard behavior on wacom tablets as I went through 3 exchanges with my x201t before I was happy...

5. david7586

@ dceggert

That's actually quite reassuring. I will probably go through with Lenovo service repair then with the "Limited warranty - parts and labor - 3 years - pick-up and return" I should be covered.

More as it develops...

and thank you for the warm welcome!

6. LastQ

LastQ Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats on getting the tablet. I am still waiting for mine to ship from CC, which model did you get (i5/i7?)

7. Slipshod

Slipshod Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine today, and I have the same issue except it's the bottom right edge. It's calibrated well across most of the screen, but if I move down towards the bottom on the righthand third or so of the screen I can see the cursor suddenly move faster than the pen when I get within .5" or so of the screen edge. Happens on the right-hand side a bit as well.

How does your screen feel? Mine has patches on it with different levels of friction, so it kind of sticks a bit when drawing. And the screen rotation seems to take FOREVER to detect, and sometimes it doesn't. Pretty disappointing so far, though it is FAST.

Cheers,
    Slipshod

8. PickleHead

PickleHead Pen Pal - Newbie

Give your screen a good wipe when you first get it. It was sticky when I got it but really smooth after wiping it!

9. randfee

randfee Scribbler - Standard Member

were you guys able to resolve the calibration issue?

10. LastQ

LastQ Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine works fairly well near the edges (with it being slightly off, which I can live with). I can only do the 4 point calibration, is there a 16 point? I read that on a post in the Lenovo forum that there is a 16 point calibration but there is no instruction on how to bring that up. Perhaps it is a different driver?

11. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

It should be available in the control panel. Somewhere under pen input (the native windows control for that) there's an option to calibrate the screen. If you have done it before, you will only get the four point calibration possibly. But besides the button for calibration should also be one to delete calibration settings, after which you should get the 16 point calibration.

12. Kaffeemann

Kaffeemann Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue.
    There is no "delete calibration" button anywhere.
    Any idea how I could do the 16 point calibration?

13. Foxiq

Foxiq Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my new x220t, and pen is really off near the edges.
    I tried calibrating it multiple times, including 16 and custom 36 point calibration, but still even with the best results, it is several mm off.
    Here is an example picture: [​IMG]
    Is it a hardware defect and should I replace my x220t? I am asking because I see many people complaining about it and I'm not sure whether a replacement unit would be any better.
    BTW, Kaffeemann, to get to the 16 point calibration you should remove all Lenovo/WACOM pen drivers and use Windows standard driver.

14. randfee

Can someone explain this to me technically? If you do a calibration with many points especially on the edge you should get an equalized vector field. How come the lookup-table this generates still produces errors like the one posted above by foxiq? Is the measurement error on the edges this big... WTF?!

Or is this a driver problem that typically will get fixed over time?

15. Hattori Hanzo

@ Kaffeemann
    Damn, the Tablet's on the other floor and I can't move due to a cat on my lap.
    I've got two pen related points in my control panel. (Names are freely translated off hand) One's Pen and touch input and the other is Tablet PC settings. The latter has an option to calibrate the screen on the first or second tab and besides that there's an option to delete the calibration.
    The first time I do a calibration I get a 16 point calibration, as it is whenever delete the calibration data before.

@ randfee
    I can try describing you my suspicions ;)
    There's two possible causes I can imagine. One is that the digitizer panel is not sitting flat on the edges. Those things were thin and flexible years ago and due to the importance of weight won't have become less wobbly. The TC4400 I have has had an alignment problem on the edges as there was some tension when they put the dozens of adhesive strips on it. So towards one edge it was sitting increasingly less flat in a wave like pattern.
    Try to correct that with an ordinary calibration...

The other thing might be a problem with shielding. I am running into this problem myself now, as I'm reducing the distance between digitizer and mainboard severly.
    If that would be the case the cursor should be jumping around a bit when you have the pen as far from the panel as possible while still having it recognized and I guess someone would have observed this.

A third idea is just occurring to me as I type, but also unlikely. If you have a digitizer and shield the outer areas by putting some type of metal frame on it, you might end up with detection above the first millimeters of the metal frame still. In this case the coordinates are likely to be corrupted and movement to be non linear, though. I experienced this with a non wacom panel in the past. So if they put some adhesive metal stripe between display and digitizer at one edge this could be an explanation.

Edit:
    Whatever it is, if I had payed some grand for a machine, I'd immediately RMA it if such a thing happens.

16. Kaffeemann

Kaffeemann Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks the same on my tablet in the worst case.
    The pen is even more off if you don´t hold your pen in an 90 degree angle.

17. randfee

that was the only comment that matters :p

none of your hypotheses makes sense to me. No matter how non-linear or messed up any input device is, if you calibrate it with ****loads of points which you then interpolate you should have a proper allocation via this "lookup table". Since this "offset" seems to be "constant" and not be caused by uncertainty (it doesn't jump around, I've watched youtube videos on this), the calibration procedure simply has to suck!

To quote Sherlock Holmes:
    "When you eliminate the impossible (let me add here: "illogical"), whatever remains, however improbable, must contain the truth" :p

In any case, the manufacturer has messed up. Either, the damn thing is ridiculously inaccurate thus the offset is caused by uncertainty of the devices readout and/or the manufacturer has messed up the implementation of a proper calibration.
    So if this occurs with ALL devices, they're either incompetent or... almost criminal (selling something that does not work yet claiming it does). Which is it? I take it this "offset" around the borders is not observerd by all units of any tablet model?

edit:
    how funny, Jesse Andersen has a new video out on this topic of digitizers. He does say that the corners of the X220T are "inaccurate" as well doing a quick 4-point calibration seems to give him decent accuracy even in the corners. Watch....
    YouTube - ‪Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet - Pen Input‬‏

18. Hattori Hanzo

Yes, if you have enough points with a high enough density in the non linear areas. That should be the case for the Windows 16 point calibration actually, as it has the points close to the edges.

No, it was the only comment that wasn't directly related to your question.

19. strife502

strife502 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem for the whole bottom edge (left side in portrait), and haven't been able to fix it either. Will be returning the comp if I can't find a solution :/ Works fine if I hold the pen 100% vertical, but any kind of normal writing position has the pen going way off for the bottom cm.

Could you possibly post the gridpoints you used for the 36 point?

I'm assuming you used the method here: Vista: Calibrate Your Tablet/Touchscreen With More Points Carlo Mendoza

20. randfee

:p I know that... I was just teasing you, don't take me too seriously please. :eek: