X220T Pen Input Screen Edge Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by david7586, May 26, 2011.

1. david7586

david7586 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey All,

Just got my x220t with MT from cost central. I've been comparing it to my x201t with outdoor viewable screen and have found it to be an acceptable upgrade. I am DEFINTELY losing out on screen brightness and color reproduction moving to the x220t, but I feel the MT option is the way of the future. More importantly I bought the tablet for indoor sketching so I feel the slight loss in optics is an okay tradeoff for the MT functionality that adds to the OneNote, Art Rage, and Photoshop experience.

However, I am having a qualm with the edge sensitivity of the x220t, which I'm only being a stickler for because of my x201t. The bottom left edge about 0.5" from the edge of the screen seems to be calibrated off and the pen tip doesn't follow where the cursor is. Is this considered a defect or within acceptable tolerances? I guess it's not a deal breaker as who writes against the edge...I just ask because I don't want a NEW machine with a slight defect.

What do you guys think?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it doesn't detect it at all within that bottom .5" ? if so then that is a major defect with your unit, and you should have the screen replaced by Lenovo ASAP (getting to the edge of the screen is important to get to the taskbar, scroll bars and other on screen things when in the various screen orientations)

If it detects it, but it it jumps around, or it moves wildly when in that .5" then it is a defect, and you should still have it replaced.

I'm curious though, what functionality does touch add to Photoshop? I've had a Tm2 [wacom en + multi-touch] in the past with Photoshop, and everyone else with a touch screen running Photoshop has seen the same thing that Photoshop really doesn't support touch well, and doesn't do panning or zooming well/ if at all (for me it seemed to work once in every 30 times I tried it); One Note and artrage support touch pretty well... from what I know of it Photoshop wasn't written to support touch properly, and they aren't doing anything about it sadly...

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

4. david7586

Thanks Agent for the reply!

It's the latter, with the edges not aligning correctly with the tip even after a calibration. I may try different drivers...but I feel it's hardware related.

I don't recall if CS5 does this, but CS 5.1 does pan with finger touch; however, I think this is part of the windows 7 touch api and not the work of adobe. pinch to zoom is not functional but I wasn't expecting it to be. Fortunately, pressure works out of the box with Photoshop, which was definitely a sigh of relief.

I got my lenovo from Cost Central, so I will see what their return policy is like.

Is this happening to anyone else on their Lenovo? I had the inclination this was standard behavior on wacom tablets as I went through 3 exchanges with my x201t before I was happy...

5. david7586

@ dceggert

That's actually quite reassuring. I will probably go through with Lenovo service repair then with the "Limited warranty - parts and labor - 3 years - pick-up and return" I should be covered.

More as it develops...

and thank you for the warm welcome!

6. LastQ

LastQ Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats on getting the tablet. I am still waiting for mine to ship from CC, which model did you get (i5/i7?)

7. Slipshod

Slipshod Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine today, and I have the same issue except it's the bottom right edge. It's calibrated well across most of the screen, but if I move down towards the bottom on the righthand third or so of the screen I can see the cursor suddenly move faster than the pen when I get within .5" or so of the screen edge. Happens on the right-hand side a bit as well.

How does your screen feel? Mine has patches on it with different levels of friction, so it kind of sticks a bit when drawing. And the screen rotation seems to take FOREVER to detect, and sometimes it doesn't. Pretty disappointing so far, though it is FAST.

Cheers,
    Slipshod

8. PickleHead

PickleHead Pen Pal - Newbie

Give your screen a good wipe when you first get it. It was sticky when I got it but really smooth after wiping it!

9. randfee

randfee Scribbler - Standard Member

were you guys able to resolve the calibration issue?

10. LastQ

LastQ Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine works fairly well near the edges (with it being slightly off, which I can live with). I can only do the 4 point calibration, is there a 16 point? I read that on a post in the Lenovo forum that there is a 16 point calibration but there is no instruction on how to bring that up. Perhaps it is a different driver?