x220t owners

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by darthhen, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kaharvey2

kaharvey2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my laptop yesterday!!!!:D :D :D

2. AndreR

AndreR Scribbler - Standard Member

I can also do this with the PDF Xchange Viewer.

However, about the scroll and zoom stuttering so must it be something unique with my system, because it was really terrible. I can't believe this was normal.

3. DeafPK

DeafPK Pen Pal - Newbie

TOUCH SCREEN CALIBRATION

Hi, I am thinking about buying the x220 tablet, as my stone age HP tx1000 is coming to the end of its life. It has survived being thrown around for years and I even fell on it last winter as i slipped on ice.

Anyways, the only thing holding me back is the issue with the digitizer pen being so inaccurate on the edges of the screen. I've had similiar problems on the tx1000 until i stumbled upon an awesome tip of how to make the windows calibration tool become super precise.

I want some of you who own the X220t to follow these instructions for calibrating the screen, and then reply whether it fixes the issue or not.
    I assume you have Win7.

You may end up making things worse, please keep in mind that you do this at your own risk! Also, make sure the screen isn't rotated (laptop mode). It is of course possible to calibrate using this method when you are in tablet mode - see bottom note on this post.

1. First, goto control panel, tablet screen calibration and click the button that resets the calibration data.

[​IMG]

2. click the Start button (windows orb) and type "cmd" to run the command editor (looks like good old DOS)

3. type "tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=5,15,25,35,100,400,950,1250,1330,1340,1350,1360 YGridPts=5,15,25,35,100,300,450,650,735,745,755,765

It will look like this except for the numbers:

[​IMG]

When you press Enter, this will hopefully give you the Windows calibration tool with A LOT of points you need to point the pen to. You just got to do this, it takes some patience, but in the end it might be the answer!

The bright minds will see that all the numbers entered into the TABCAL LINCAL command are vertical and horisontal pixels on the screen. You may alter these numbers to make the calibration better, as long as you stay within the 1366x768 resolution.
    For tablet mode calibration (screen rotated) you need to put the numbers from XGridPts to YGridPts and likewise put the YgridPts to XgridPts. The above screenshot of CMD illustrates this.

I nicked the images from Vista: Calibrate Your Tablet/Touchscreen With More Points Carlo Mendoza
    .. and just altered the numbers so it will (hopefully) work with the X220t.

Hope you guys will test this and give feedback! :)

4. Cads

Cads Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm afraid this has been done by more than a few people, without significant improvement.

5. tl91

tl91 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,

Sorry to divert the topic a bit, but as a new tablet PC user, I'd like to get some feedback regarding the feel of the screen of the X220T. About a week ago I got my multi-touch display X220T, but noticed almost immediately a few patches where the screen suddenly feels bumpy when using the pen. It looks fine to the eye, but when I write I can feel the unevenness and the sound of the pen on the screen changes on that patch too.

Is this to be expected of tablet PCs? Or should I be speaking to Lenovo before my 30 days are up?

Thank you in advance!

6. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have that problem....

But which part of the screen does it feel bumpy?

7. ToG

ToG Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I just upgraded the ram on my X220T and thought you'd like to know whats available. I've posted another thread about this but just to get the info out there.

For the record this X220T is a brand new i5 model Standard drivers and standard setup.
    I've gone from 2gb of standard ram to 2 x 4gb of Kingston HyperX pnp (1866MHz)

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

8. tl91

tl91 Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel it in different parts of the screen, but the most noticeable one is probably about an inch to the upper right of the Lenovo logo on the bezel. Have others reported such a problem with their screens? It's not hugely distracting, but I can feel it as I write and the texture change is weird.

I'm also unsure if it's just bad luck or if the screen is in fact faulty because I've found 2 scratches already, and it's only gone through a week of light usage. I'm about to order a screen protector, but that's not going to fix my problems if there is an underlying fault in the screen.

9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@tl91

When I got my (4th hand?) 2730p it had an odd area in the middle that had greater or lesser resistance (sorta like bumps/ rough areas like you describe). If I would wipe it down with a wet cloth (water or isopropyl alcohol) I would see a sort of grid pattern that wasn't quite perpendicular with the screen

Then I put on the screen protector that I was planning on using anyways; it covered up the area perfectly and gave a nice smooth surface to use.

Then when I took the protector off at the start of the summer I noticed the grid was totally gone! So I guess it was some really nasty gunk that got on the screen and sort of hardened there, then the screen protector pulled it up

Not sure if yours is the same situation, but try really wiping it down with a cloth (and pay attention to see if you notice any odd looking patterns in the area where you have felt the bump)... otherwise get Lenovo to send you a new unit, you check it over, if you approve of it then send back the 'defective' unit; they should do this as most every company will, just be sure to talk to higher up Customer Service people otherwise nothing will get done

10. darthhen

I checked my unit and I don't have bump on my screen.....I guess it's defective...but I would try what Agent9 mentioned above before contacting Lenovo.

11. AndreR

AndreR Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a lot of scratching areas on my screen. I tried to clean it with alcohol and managed to remove almost all of it. The little remaining scratches where not removable, but they disappeared as soon the screen got oily and greasy from the hand, so it didn't matter to much for me.

However, what is important is that you give Lenovo a call as soon as possible! Because I waited a month before calling them and then they refused to replace the screen even if you still have your warranty left.

12. bonoz

bonoz Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any tweaks/optimizations I can do to improve the useability of my tablet? For example, better calibration of onenote? or OneNote tweaks/trips/add-ins?

Etc.

I'm a student and I load up PPTs and PDFs in my OneNote and annotate them.

I also record my lectures using my computer's mic.

13. ed999

ed999 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am experiencing issues with lenovo's support of my new x220t convertible. They are taking 3 weeks plus to send a replacement part, although I have paid for premium onsite support as seen on this thread.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues out there?

14. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I figured I'd post on here as well. I've had mine Since July.

I haven't noticed wacom edge problems, but then again i don't use the pen at the corners much.

I got the tablet for programming duties, and on the go 3ds max work, and the occassional free hand.

Besides the resolution, I really can't praise the machine enough.

I bought a Msata 80gb ssd and left the 320gb 8200 hdd in there. The thing boots from cold in 11 seconds. Hibernation is anywhere from 9-14 seconds based on how much stuff was going on before hibernating.

I mean the thing is just a beast. I run a devlopment VM (Win 7 Utimate) through virtualbox, that I have synced up my home NAS. When I go out from that network, I put the vdi files on the machine.

It can run 3 VMs (2gb, 1gb, and 1gb are the ram specs for each VM) without ANY problems.

The thing is seriously just a beast. The only area for improvement would be the GPU, but it's not a gaming machine (although it handles most very well).

Seriously no real complaints, and am very happy I got mine when I did.

2d

15. pepper_john

pepper_john Pen Pal - Newbie

I am seriously consider X220t now that the price has dropped a lot. But I know that window 8 is coming out in Sept. so I am wondering whether I should just wait for window 8 or buy it now then get a win8 later.

16. Carl2000

Carl2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Gorilla Glass 2 is coming out too. The touch screen should be better. Also, the next Intel chip is rumored to be released alongside Windows 8. September is right around the corner. Patience a virtue.

17. darthhen

Iif you don'tneed it now, I would just wait. Plus the new intel CPU are coming out.

18. seaturn

seaturn Scribbler - Standard Member

Somebody asked the confirmation if 16 GB RAM works. 2 weeks ago I upgraded my x220t (4294-CTO i5) to 16GB and 256 SSD (cloned the original with dd linux command) The tablet continued working as it worked before the updrade.
    RAM:
    Amazon:"Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 10666 1333MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 9-9-9-25" - (paid $89 :( ) now is available $84
    SSD:
    Amazon:"Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD1" - Paid $299.00 :(, now is available for $244.99.

PS. I did not run extensive RAM tests, just standard test what grub has. Anyway - no issues nor w7 nor ubuntu 11.04 for a while.