x220t owners

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by darthhen, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

My x61t doesn't have that function, but I think I saw it in one of the video review for x220t or x220.

I guess if security is important, then it might be useful. Since I'm a student, I don't have any password on my tablet just in case of theft. It'll be easier to recover the laptop if the thief doesn't reinstall windows. Even if he does, it'll be traceable, since I have computrace service.

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@hp79
    I would have thought the X61 had a boot lock option... I guess not

I find it [the boot-lock] is a hidden secondary safety net [once the computer is shut down they won't be able to get past the lock unless they guess one of the 2 very long passwords, or have my finger :) ), as well as password eliminator (Windows has no password, and Linux has a short one; which has been so convenient)

Just one thing to consider when ordering a X220t and are debating the fingerprint reader (I think it would be worth it for the little more security and convince)

3. quickrabbit5

quickrabbit5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do any you of you know, or can guess from previous experience, whether or not the current x220t price hike is a temporary measure to curb demand during a shortage, or if it's going to stay at that price for quite a while?

4. randfee

randfee Scribbler - Standard Member

I expect an increase in price is quite possible for as long as the displays (and possibly other components) coming from japan are in undersupply.

5. Agent 9

sorry,
    I don't think the pricing has much to do with supply/ demand; a list price of about $1,800 is traditionally right in the middle of the starting price for 'business grade' Tablet PC's (Windows, Wacom and 'business grade', simply having those on the device 'cost you' a lot... NBR has a ton of threads on how this is actually, sadly, true)

If they were to have a starting price of $1,200-1,400 then they would be underselling their product by several hundred, and they wouldn't do that (in 1 year's time the about $1,800 prices tend to drop just below $1,000 for decent spec'd machines; if it were $1,200 at first it would drop near the Tm2's range of $700-800 in one year... there is just no way they will sell a 'business machine' for such a low price, the ThinkPad/ business class title alone warrant a high price -based on market trends stretching back years, and AFAIK they haven't changed)

I think what Lenovo did with the initial pricing was to get a frenzy of interest (from corporate users, and consumers alike), then bring the price back up and watch the money roll in

That said, if you see some model on Cost Central [or a other vendor] you like, and is going for a good price, then snatch it up before the prices jump or they run out...

6. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with Agent 9's comment here. Keep in mind the Lenovo Thinkpads X220/T's are not meant for consumer-level use. The build quality and reliability they put into these systems is way beyond than the standard consumer level systems. So you're not going to see the low ~$1300 ranges from Lenovo's site. The Top-sellers that Cost Central are selling is a pretty good deal.

BTW: just to be clear, I don't work for Lenovo. So it's not like I'm trying to convince you to buy now.

7. Agent 9

I did forget to mention that Lenovo will have coupons [up to about $400], as well as the 'student discounts'; but don't expect anything big in the next ~4-6 months, as that is traditionally the point in time where you start seeing prices to drop, then another 4-5 months later and prices will be right around $1,000 with discounts (but at this point you can either snag a used/ refurbished unit for several hundred less, or wait for the next generation)

I am also entirely unaffiliated with Lenovo

8. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo Canada still has the price at <$1200 on the EPP site + a 10% off coupon. Not sure why the US site is so high.

9. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

My unit has been stuck in Louisville forever now... :mad: I called UPS and they said they are waiting for paperwork to clear.

Louisville, KY, United States 05/18/2011 12:37 A.M. Import Scan
    Louisville, KY, United States 05/17/2011 12:15 P.M. Import Scan
    05/17/2011 11:17 A.M. Warehouse entry clearance details, necessary for customs clearance, have been requested from the receiver.
    05/17/2011 1:48 A.M. Arrival Scan
    Anchorage, AK, United States 05/16/2011 3:19 P.M. Departure Scan
    05/16/2011 1:14 P.M. Arrival Scan
    Shanghai, China 05/16/2011 9:01 P.M. Departure Scan
    Shanghai, China 05/13/2011 10:05 P.M. Export Scan
    05/13/2011 10:05 P.M. Origin Scan
    China 05/13/2011 10:38 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

10. magicsoap

magicsoap Pen Pal - Newbie

hey darthhen, mine says the exact same thing. it was supposed to be delivered today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.