x220t owners

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by darthhen, Apr 26, 2011.

1. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

Lenovo launched the new x220t last week. But it wasn't till Friday till you can do a custom build on Lenovo's website. Although Costcentral has the pre-built ones available for order before that.

This forum isn't showing much activity on the x220t since it's launch ( :( ). All the activity for the x220t seems to be happening at the Lenovo forum on notebookreview.com. I ordered one over this past weekend. The current estimated ship date May 18.

Come on guys and gals!!! I know there's more of you out there!!!

Anybody else ordered one?

2. Tyrien

Tyrien Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, but I'm still playing the waiting game :/

3. jeepy

jeepy Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered one yay! mine's from costcentral, and has 2-3 weeks expected wait....so about the same time as yours :(

4. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered one. Hello fellow x220t squatters.

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This will probably be my next machine and I'll probably order in the next week or two. I configured one close to the max, i7, 8 GB of RAM, right at 2k USD, not too bad for everything. Not many HD or SSD options however.

6. darthhen

Yo heatless, you sure you got enough machines?? :p

I can't wait for mine. I'm going to replace my TM2 with it. The I ordered it pretty basic, no webcam and no finger print reader.

7. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

For those of you replacing your TM2 with an x220t, what are you doing with your TM2? I kind of want to do the same thing but the TM2 goes for ~half of what I paid, on ebay.

8. LastQ

LastQ Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered an i5 preconfig machine from CostCentral. Hopefully it will be shipped soon.

In the meantime, I need to get a screen protector. Any recommendations?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Congress will soon be passing a 5 tablet tax aimed directly at your conspicuous consumption.:D

Glad to see X220T owners gravitating over here from the notebook forums. Can't wait to see how you like your units. I'm probably replacing my Acer 3820TG with a new notebook in the fall and am seriously considering the X220 or the new X1. Curious to see if the display is really as nice as reviewrs seem to think it is.

Bronsky:cool:

10. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

You could be generous!

I'm selling (giving) my tm2 to my adolescent niece for $100.
    I'm thinking Retailmenot might even have one of their always credible coupons for her the same day she shows up w/ all that hard earned cash!

11. darthhen

Well, I'm going to try to sell mine on Craigslist. Old laptops sitting around should belong in somebody's home to do real work. :D

12. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

The prices of the tablet have really crept up from the early announcements. We're back at the price points for the X201t pre-October 2010. Kinda disappointing when the original announcements said the X220 would be $1,299 with just about everything and the tablet would add only about $300. Admittedly, it's a great machine with insane battery life, but is it worth double what the X201T was selling for in its last couple of months? (And that one had the 16:10 aspect ratio with a BOE Hydis AFFS+ screen.) Btw, just curious, but why are you paying Lenovo for their overpriced RAM instead of taking the minimum and getting 8GB from Newegg for, like, $75?

Yes, I even commented on the X220T thread on NBR about why people weren't posting to TPCR instead and the responses were: "it's dead over there - no one posting at all!" Sad to see this. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory: the world is going to tablets, and the pre-eminent tablet forum goes dark :( What's wrong with this picture? Where's the spirit from the salad days of the TM2 ("what a great/phenoenal/terrible/worst ever/not quite so bad tablet!") and the HP Slate ("wish I could ge one/wish I could get one/wish I could get one...[repeat, with feeling!] ?

13. darthhen

I wonder the samething myself, that's why I started this thread. I wonder if it is because the X220 launched first, then all the X220T folks was just eyeing those threads at NBR. Maybe if the X220T launched a month later, than there would be less X220T at NBR's forum. Just a guess....???

Anyways, I just checked my order status, still says estimated shipping of May 18.

14. richman

All I know is there's something to be said for the instant gratification of a retail purchase. And to make it worse I got me sleeve delivered so I have to look at it's emptiness every time I pass it.

15. darthhen

Yea...this buying online and waiting thing sucks.

16. richman

While we wait....On other boards, I've come across posts about putting a screen protector on their tablets. I have one on my Galaxy Tab and phone but niether are pen capable. Some believe it helps cut down on glare.

Personally I'm not worried about glare but wouldn't a screen protector on a pen tablet interfere with the use of the pen and wouldn't it leave indentations in the protector? Seems to me it would.

17. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

IMO you should get a screen protector as it will protect your $1000+ investment... a screen protector will not get in the way of pen input what so ever, an the protector should not scratch/ wear away from normal use with the pen (at most, after a long long time of use you might get feint micro wear lines that can only be seen when the screen is off, and reflecting light just right); but the protector will get scratched up/ damaged by sharp/ hard objects (but it is meant to take this abuse instead of the screen; which IMO is great because when it is getting too damaged you can then either get a new screen protector, or just use it bare-screened -all of this would be great for the re-sell value of it as you can honestly claim 100% screen condition). Just get a decent quality screen protector and it will serve you quite well (and likely save your screen's integrity at some point; the cheap protectors out there will scratch from using the pen itself), generally people get protectors from Exim or Photodon (but some also buy from other manufacturers; look over this thread, they list a few http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/37818-screen-protector-caution.html)

Now, a screen protector will interfere with the sensitivity of touch input, but how much it does depends on the specific screen protector; and that would only come into play if you have the touch screen option.

18. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Are the screens on Lenovo tablets made of glass, or plastic (excepting the Gorilla Glass version, of course)? If it's glass, I don't think I'll bother with the protector. I used to use them on my mobile devices, however my iPhones have never gotten a single scratch. While the old plastic screens on stylus input devices used to scratch quite easily (like Palm PDAs), I don't think it's as much of a problem with glass. I'd probably prefer to put the money into the accidental protection warranty so I could get the screen replaced if it really became an issue.

19. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pen only is Gorilla Glass; the Pen & Touch is Infinity Glass (but the touch layer is fused to this glass layer, and has a small protective film on top of the touch layer -this is what will slowly wear away a bit on the touch screen version)

But Like I said a protector is cheap ($15) and it will take the brunt of any accidents you might have with it (something someone threw, accidentally swinging something into the screen, dropping something on it, or accidentally dragging something across the screen) and keeps you from having a permanently damaged screen (though I guess ADP would work)

20. strife502

strife502 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not an x220t question specifically, but I'm busy configuring one online to buy this weekend, and I was wondering about the difference between the i5-2520M and i7-2620M, performance- and power consumption-wise.

I'm ordering in Japan, and if the price goes over a certain amount the discount increases, so essentially a 200 000 Yen machine and a 185 000 Yen machine both end up costing 160 000, so the i7 option ends up costing only a bit more.

That being said, I doubt I'll need the extra power (is there even that much? Comparing them here it seems minimal.) And if it's going to have a negative impact on the battery life I'd rather for the i5 option.