X220T First Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by richman, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another question please. Does the x220t use 2.5" or 1.8" drives? Thanks!

2. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

heartless - I was blown away by the price change. I guess whoever's doing the math came out with sell less at a higher price. I really thought Lenovo was changing the game with the original initial pricing. Like many I just assumed MSRP was the same MSRP you see everywhere and never thought they would actually move the price that high. Maybe it's a response to HP's prices for the 2670 I dont know. Have to assume the Fujitsu will be in the same neighboorhood now with the t901 and Dell who knows. As for coupons the one I used from Logicbuy no longer works. Might want to check the notebook review threads on the x220 laptop.

3. richman

Last night I did use a display port to connect to my dell U3011 monitor and was able to use the x220t touch and pen and see it on the DP screen. It did not present an option in control panel - display settings for 2560x1600 resolution as stated in the specs. Highest was 1366x768 and I didnt have time to look into how to get the higher rez.

My initial playing around with plugging a second monitor into the vga port at the same time would indicate that no you cannot have the x220t display up at the same time as 2 external monitors. It looks like you can have any 2 at a time.

There may be a way to do something with daisy chained DP monitors IDK and cant test that.

4. richman

I don't know actually and the micro drive might be different itself. I know I saw a hardware maintenance guide somewhere and there's always the user manual that might mention it - both are on the Lenovo site somewhere.

Device Manager Reports the model as:
    Samsung MZ7PA128HMCD-010

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@ richman
    his screen name is Heatlessson, not heartless ;)

@Heatlessson
    the X220t uses 2.5" drives (though in the non-standard 7mm height, compared to the standard of 9.5mm -so you are still limited in total hdd size, and especially so in which SSD's you can use, as most 7mm hdd's are ~320 GB, and there are few 2.5" SSD's in the thinner size -though a 1.8" hdd/ ssd can be used with a simple adapter and function fully, so that is a option as well)

The HP 2760p is the same way, so they are tied on hdd/ ssd (there is no 'for sure' yet on the 2760p, but it looks like it does not have a m-PCI SSD [though it has a different WWAN slot that may be usable in such a manner] and it does have 2 ram slots that can each support 8GB -a total system ram of 16GB then). they are pretty much toe to toe in regards to spec's except the X220t has a few big negatives: a stupid screen resolution and IPS, as well as the battery hump -it will be detrimental to use in tablet mode no matter how you look at it, I had a Tm2 and it was the same with its battery hump; people can say "battery hump as a handle all day long" but it is just a poor excuse for a poor design)

6. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for checking on this.

PS: I got an E-mail from Lenovo stating that my order has shipped.

7. richman

awesome darthhen congrats! can't wait to here your thoughts.

Agent9 - Thanks for the correction on heatless and my apologies heatless

regarding the battery hump. whether it's a bad design or not aside, it does serve as a handle. In laptop mode it provides a slight forward angle which I like. In tablet mode I referenced the 5 quarter test above. It's a fairly small angle either tilting the screen a little away from you which I actually find more comfortable to write on or tilting slightly toward you which provides a little better screen view and really didn't hinder me from writing on it. I've been experimenting with both and havn't picked a favorite. I'll also see what it's like flat when I get a 3 cell battery at some point. Looks like a few more people here will have there's soon enough and can weigh in.

Regarding tallshortys link above to the review. The review says the screen doen't auto rotate. There's a utility in the simple tap menu which shows a screen rotation icon. It brings up some settings one of which allows you to set a default orinetation when switching to tablet mode. Another is called active rotation and it has a calibrate button. I let it calibrate and it seems to be rotating my screen automatically when I rotate the device from portrait to landscape in tablet mode. How it does it without a sensor I dont know but it works.

8. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

That's awesome it can do that! Someone should correct the reviewer on this. Pretty big mistake in the review imo. My guess is because all Thinkpads have a tilt sensor, aka the Active Protection System. It probably uses that.

And thanks for the explanation on the screen. From the sound of it, I shouldn't be worried about the touch layer. I hope it will be like my iPhone 4 (but probably not). The screen is absolutely clear and I cannot see any touch layer on it.

9. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

richman, how do you feel about the screen's durability? Do you think it'll scratch with use of the pen? Do you think putting a screen protector is necessary? You have to be careful especially when using the pen because if there's dirt in between, it could scratch the surface.

If I had the Gorilla glass, then I wouldn't have worried, but I ordered a regular multitouch version. Do you think the screen is made of real glass?

10. richman

Hi hp79,

I have not found any meaningfull information about the infinity glass so I have no idea what it is. I'm getting a screen protector based on agent9's opinions in the x220t owners thread. He also references a few links you can check out. It's basically a $30 or so insurance policy on my $1,750 device.

I'm probably going to try the Clarivue Crystal Clear linked below because of it's mention of super smooth inking and palm rejection. I don't really care about anti-glare or outdoor use. How it affects touch remains to be seen since the gottabemobile review doesn't mention it much. I'm banking that the smoothness for inking equates to smoothness for gestures and finger movements. We'll see.

Screen Protector Shootout: Clarivue Clear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.