X220T First Impressions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by richman, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

My spec - I5, 4gb ram, 120gb ssd, 3xwifi, no camera, bluetooth or finger reader.

I really like it and the more I use it the more I like it so that’s a good sign! It’s exactly what I wanted and I have found nothing I absolutely hate. I'm pretty happy about that given the difficulty and stress of buying without trying. These are some initial thoughts. Like my galaxy tab it takes a little time to tweak a device exactly how you like it and I’m not all there yet. I didn’t remove the Lenovo utilities because some look useful so I want to check em out.

I believe the function pgup key is supposed to turn on a light from the camera like a nightlight for night typing I guess. There’s really not enough light from the screen itself to light it up. So if you got a camera and type at night it’ll help. I read a little in bed in tablet mode with no lights and it was no problem.

edit: light is x220 laptop only according to the user guide

Diggin the touch screen which is saving me a lot mousing around and even better than some keyboard shortcuts.

Darthen I’ll do my best but it’s really hard to describe the answer to your question about glare in another post. I had a chance to use it a client site today. The site is a notch above a construction site. There was definitely some glare on the screen when using it face down in tablet mode to take some notes. But this was basically directly under the kind of cheap 4 tube neon light you might have in your garage and a 10 foot ceiling - so basically 6-7 feet from the device on a table and literally straight overhead. Many office spaces usually have much better dispersed light. A slight tilt of the unit moved the glare off the screen and no glare in laptop mode or when holding it in your lap and facing you in tablet mode. Bottom line I can’t imagine any screen that wouldn’t get a glare on it in that light. Under my kitchen table it was much less noticeable directly under a kitchen table light. It’s also more of a muted glare from the touch layer I guess. Like my galaxy tab is a much glossier mirror-like reflective glare.

Love the keyboard. I’m not sure if it’s the extra width from the screen size but it feels great to type on. Also like the mat feel of the touchpad. Not much use for the red nub.

The battery hump. I will order a 3 cell flush battery whenever they become available. Was undecided at the time and didn’t know that apparently the only way to get one right now is with a system. It’s not because I find the 6 cell that protrudes a problem. I simply want the smallest footprint I can get sometimes like hanging on the couch reading or browsing. The 6 cell actually does function as a brace when holding it. The slight elevation on the bottom isn’t a big deal either. It actually tilts the keyboard forward a tiny bit when it’s on a flat table which is perfect imho. It also gives the device a tiny tilt when lying flat on a table in tablet mode which works for me to.
    Display quality - subjective obviously. Text clarity. I read a lot so this was a key for me and it looks great. Brightness and colors look great as well. I imagine it’s a little less bright and vibrant than a gorilla glass with no touch layer. Brightness goes to 15 and I had it set around 13 for office / kitchen table work, a little dimmer for reading with less light.

Screen size. I can see how the wider narrower screen will disorient some. However the more I use it the more I like it – especially in wide mode. In portrait mode I imagine you will either be ok with it, like it, or hate it. I don’t think too many people will say I love it. That said, I was inking over a Word document today in portrait mode and really liked that with the extra screen length I could have the ribbon bar dropped down and see the full size page in “text width” view and still actually read it. As relates to web browsing there isn’t a tablet I’ve used that didn’t require a lot of panning in the browser. In wide mode my MSN and Yahoo home pages fit perfect. Browsing in portrait mode may become a thing you do when you want to. For example, looking at these blog posts on this site actually look good in portrait mode. I also used it on a few sites where I wanted to “not” see the advertising poo on the left or right.

Seems really well constructed and has nice solid feel including the swivel hinge.

Since I have the dubious honor of receiving mine already I'll do my best to answer some questions. I don't have a video recorder so can't help there sorry.

2. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the impression. Can you comment on the screen quality in terms of the multitouch layer? Does it add a bit of haziness that you can see? Previous thinkpad tablets you can actually see the touch layer, like a grid on the screen. Can you see it?

3. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

richman,

Thanks for posting your impressions!!

Unfortunately, I got an E-mail from Lenovo...my order is going to be delayed. :mad:

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Congrats and thanks for your impressions richman!

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. How good are the viewing angles? Are colors and brightness consistent at wide angles?

2. What side is the power connector on?

3. How's the heat? Any issues with heat while holding it tablet mode?

4. How's the fan noise?

5. Finally, how much angle does the hump add in portrait mode? Is it still natural and comfortable to write with the hump in portrait mode? I know you commented that it wasn't a problem for you, I just wanted some idea as to how much of an angle it added.

I was thinking about getting the HP 2760P but you can get a fully loaded x220t, i7, 8 GB RAM, etc. for about the same price as a much lesser speced 2760. If your answers sound good I'll be getting the x220t.

Thanks in advance for your input and enjoy your new toy!:D

5. richman

ugh sorry darthen i must have been lucky - unusual if u knew me lol

tallshorty - i dont see anything lile a grid and would say the touch layer is even less noticeable than the galaxy tab 1. ive never seen an old thinkpad to compare so thats the best i can do on that one.

6. richman

No problem heartless. I've read a lot of your posts so happy to help.

Was amazed to see the price jump and have not looked into the HP enough to know if it would have changed my mind.

Power connector is in the back on the flat spot where the battery does not protrude. With the power saver plan he fan's have not been on that much and when they do the noise is feint at best at arm's length. You'd hear it in a quiet room that's about it but certainly nothing distracting. After about 2-3 hours there was a warm spot on the back. Wouldn't call it hot and did not interfere with holding it. I can't remember where exactly but it was near a corner so not really a spot you hold. Obviously looking at it head on it's at its brightest. When you look at an angle it's dimmer of course but not greatly so and still very readable. In terms of consistency it seems to hold both brightness and color consistent at an angle. Like at a 45 degree angle you won't see one side of the screen markedly dimmer or less vibrant.

Just for you I created the quarter test! Take 5-6 quarters and sit them under a book. That will give you an idea of the angle. For me I actually like it with the elevation on the left side and I'm a rigthy so it faces a tiny bit away from me. Just feels more comfortable with how I write.

And it's defintely got a cool new toy feel but this puppy went right into battle!

7. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks richman. according to the most recent review, you can see a graininess to the screen:
    Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet Review

Do you notice this? And does it affect your perception of clarity?

8. richman

First thanks for the link. A very nice review. The review says the following:

"As with most other touch-enabled screens, there is a very fine but noticeable grain overlaying the display. I’ve heard some users refer to it as a slight haze, which is an apt description. "

Here's my take on that. It applies to "most" touch-enabled screens so is not a comment on how the 220t compares to other touch-enabled screens. It also doesn't mention what device is better. So it's not saying anything new about touch screens really. There's a touch layer that makes touch screens less bright and vibrant than non touch screens. I cannot comment on how good or bad it is relative other touch screens. You'd also probably have to narrow even that comparison to mobile touch screens because I'm guessing things like HP desktop monitors with touch use different technologies. The word "noticeable" is a little misleading. I would guess it's no more or no less noticeable than other devices in this class. Noticeable to me means you notice it looks different next to a standard laptop screen or non-touch screen. Whether it's better or worse is really the qeustion "whether or not you want a touch screen". Touch screens are not as bright or vibrant as non touch screens - that's just kinda how it is. My galaxy tab is the same way - it's not going to look as good next to a 27 inch iMac screen.

All that said it, it loooks really good to me. Screens that look great are $3k so I reserve that description for them. I literally had to pull out a magnifying glass and let my eyes relax and focus to even catch a glimpse of the touch grid layer. I did the same on my Gtab with about the same result. So bottom line for me. I don't see or notice a graininess or haze or touch layer grid at all and the text is crisp and graphics look really nice. At max 15 brightness it's too bright for me under normal lighting. I have it at 13 tops or even less with less light.

Hope that helps.

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks richman, very good info! The price on these things just went up $600, arggg! The unit I want is now hitting $2800. I might have to hold off on this because I kind of wanted a Q550 as well. Any coupons out there?

10. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

richman,

Do you have a DisplayPort monitor and another monitor? If so, can you connect to the two external monitors and see if you can still use the laptop display?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.