X201T purchase questions

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cater, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cater

cater Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello :D I've been researching tablet PCs over the last couple of months, frequenting these forums and deciding on which tablet would be best for me.

I love the X201T - the looks of it, apparently the keyboard is the best there is and the overall quality of them.
    I'm getting this tablet for school - i'm in my last two years of college and I think a tablet will help me in taking notes and keeping everything organized. My current laptop is old and ready for the trash.

I had a couple of questions on the X201Ts and would love all of your opinions.

Should I upgrade the ram and hdd to SSD when I customize it on lenovo.com or would it be better for me to purchase it and find a deal on a 128gb SSD and 8gb of RAM from some other website. Would it be cheaper to do the latter? What are disadvantages of doing this?

and what CPU option should I choose? i've read the i5s are better for watching HD movies... i dont understand this though because the i7-640 is much faster and not that much more expensive.

Also... its a hard decision as to which screen I should go with. I will most likely be using this laptop in lectures, library and my room. Maybe a slight chance I will use it in the shade outside?
    I cant decide whether or not I should get multitouch or the outdoor screen. The outdoor does look a lot nicer and it would be nice not having to deal with reflection issues but multitouch would be really nice when I want to read forums or PDFs/powerpoint slides in tablet mode and not use a pen... i could just use my fingers to swipe through pages while I lay in bed or something. Does the multitouch screen have issues with lighting in a lecture hall though? I dont want to have to strain to see the screen or see a reflection of my face while I take notes all day

Thanks for you opinions everyone... price isnt a huge issue. I want to keep it around $2000 and would be willing to order the HD/ram a month or two after ordering the tablet.

2. Hexokinase

Hexokinase Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there Cater,

Great to see that you're ready to pull the trigger on the new tablet pc. Coming from the same boat - after months of lurking this site - I placed an order for the same tablet and should have it in my hands by the weekend.

Unless some great coupons come up, I'd order a prebuilt model from an authorized retailer and upgrade components as needed. After reading a review of the x201t, I was informed of the existence of the computer with the 620LM and the outdoor screen (a $300 value) for $1550. After tax, shipping, accidental damage coverage, and an additional 2GB of ram, I spent $1900 on the machine (the computer and warranty were purchased from costcentral.com, ram from amazon). At this exact moment in time, ordering a prebuilt model is more cost effective and you won't have to wait 14 business days before it ships

It might be best to wait a few months before upgrading to the SSD, as to my knowledge the G3 intel SSDs should be released in Q4 2010. The model I purchased has a 7200rpm drive, so I can hold out for those few months.

Regarding which processor to choose, for the lenovo you want to stick with the i7's. The X201t's i5 is ultra low voltage, while the i7's are low voltage. Based on clock speeds of the integrated graphics, it's true that a standard voltage i5 will give better video performance than a low voltage i7. If you're set on the x201t, the i7 will give you the best video performance. (source)

As for the screen, its all about priorities. If you truly need the best screen out there (assuming you're using the tablet for art related needs), then stick with the outdoor. Otherwise, the multitouch should be fine, though I'll leave that for other members to chime in on. Both screens are great really.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

1. unless there is a sale at Lenovo (does happen), extra ram will be cheaper elsewhere, and it's easy to do, you can order 2G on one sodimm so you can add 2 or 4 later without tossing anything. (Buy 4 to make it 6G, and only if you really think you're having performance issues, buy another 4.) Make sure you get a 64bit version of Win7!

2. SSD at Lenovo is very expensive, IMHO. Unless you're loading PS or some other gargantuan program, a 7200 rpm drive will serve you very well, Win7 is optimized for quick shutdown and startup and you will have great performance. You can go to suspend/sleep in like 5 seconds. A 500G 7200 rpm is only a $100 premium, a bit more than you would pay at Newegg, but you don't have to do anything. Also, Lenovo's airbag tech which responds in 2ms to drops will pull the heads to the rest position should you drop it. Lot's of memory will also allow the disk to spin down.

3. Screen - the sunlight screen is a high premium. My daughter uses her x200T which has the single touch and pen screen, it works very well in lecture halls, etc. Sometimes she wishes it didn't have touch as when people find out it does, they put their fingers on it, and it leaves smears according to her. Having your screen set very bright will eat into the battery life, my daughter uses 50% when using Onenote in class.

4. The particular processors that Lenovo uses are all low voltage versions and that makes the i5 'is better for vid' incorrect, the higher i7 will work the GMA at a higher frequency.

There's a student portal Lenovo - Higher Education Administrators & Faculty You can get an automatic 5% discount if you register with them (needs a .edu address) Lenovo - Ultimate Academic PC store though sometimes the regular discounts are around $500. If you know someone who worked for IBM in the past/present you can ask them to help you purchase it, they get 10% off anthing, and it can be put on your credit card, etc. many discounts can be stacked.

4. cater

cater Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the quick replies.

Does anyone have a good use for multitouch or even touch itself? It seems like multitouch is almost completely pointless and touch helps a bit with scrolling webpages without the digitizer but does anyone feel that touch is absolutely necessary? I'm leaning toward the outdoor screen just because of how much better it is supposed to look but I dont want to end up regretting my decision. (I could end up getting multitouch and never using touch or end up getting outdoor screen and wishing I could scroll through forums / pictures without the digitizer)

5. cater

cater Pen Pal - Newbie

Checked out the student discount option also - if you use the coupon code USPRETHINK you get the exact same price as student discount so its basically the same thing. I was also looking at tabook and found the same model as the one I had customized and it was only $30 less at costcentral and didnt come with the three year warranty. All in all it seems like its going to be the same price regardless of where I purchase it (unless I call a rep on the phone and they can give me some type of special offer??)

6. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

A three year warranty is worth a few hundred dollars. If it's accidental damage, it's worth more since anything is covered. Some schools can get you a much more significant discount and the warranty. There are 'educational' configurations in the tabook, too that include the ultrabase with a dvd burner for the same pricing.

It has been reported here recently that you can get a discount with the sales reps on the phone, too.

as you stated in the opening, touch is handy for web pages, books, pdf when not taking out the pen. It's a good thing to tether the pen to the unit as pens run about $50. Lenovo sells tethers (3 for $10) if you can find braided fishing line or something similarly strong and think you can make your own. (has to be thin so the pen fits in the dock.)

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Can you pls confirm: does the outdoor screen enable you to use a single finger to click on an icon, pan, etc? I'd thought the outdoor screen could only activated by pen or mouse pointer. I agree that "multitouch" is just a gimmic, but with no ability to do anything with even one finger the benefits of a tablet are limited.

Thanks for any insight you can provide :)

8. MrGroover

MrGroover Pen Pal - Newbie

With Lenovo it's pretty simple. Only the Multitouch screens allow fingers as an input device. Entry and Outdoor are pen only. You can touch those display as well, but it will just cause finger prints and no interactions with the OS.

9. singisumina

singisumina Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to chip in to say that the multitouch screen is actually quite nice... I researched a lot before buying, and the videos/comparisons with the outdoor screen don't do it justice.

Since I don't do outdoor work very much (I'm a student carrying this from class --> apartment --> sometimes sitting under the shade), and I do read e-books, multitouch functionality is nice and its screen brightness is great.

If you see someone with an X201T, you should ask to see the multitouch screen because, again, the pictures make it look terrible. I called a Lenovo rep who assured me I had 21 days to return it if I didn't like it - and I decided to keep this screen!