x201 questions -- easy to ask, ? hard to answer...

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by drex, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drex

drex Pen Pal - Newbie

gents/ladies:

experienced slate user (ST5032D); want a newer tablet with mutitouch and windows 7 64-bit.

after review, I ordered (and have in my possession) preconfigured I5/4Gb/160/etc... T730. I love the tablet digitizer, multitouch and pen accuracy. Has HDMI and VGA out (nice but not 'mandatory' as well as mini-firewire). the unit is running W764, dragon, office 2010, and cs4, no issues, simultaneously, except for battery life.

Disappointments: mainly weight, shape, and battery life. have not added the modular battery as it makes the unit heavier, and my biggest issue is that is a squarish thick (1.5 inch) convertible that is not as slate-like as my true slate, and of course, the X201T. I am also interested in the 8 cell battery, with the weight ratio an issue.

I am really interested in the size factor, price, and usability of the 201T (the preconfigured W764/4GB/320/multitouch) that also comes with DVD and modular base; the issues I am concerned about are listed below. I would appreciate any comments on your experience with the x201...

Read/see a lot of videos with 'weird' pen response to writing/drawing on the Lenovo. The T730 is as accurate as you can possibly get, very similar to my 5032D. Multitouch works great, when its used. I have no issues with accuracy on the Fuji. What are everyone's 'true' experiences with the speed, responsiveness, and acurracy of the Lenovo?? Any pen issues I should be aware of? I take it the pen was standard tip use, two buttons on the pen itself, and an eraser on the opposite end that activates the eraser function in various software???

What is the 'average' battery life with the 8 cell 7xx series processsor and 4GB ram and 320 GB 7200 drive??? It appears to be upwards of 6 hours with 'moderate' use.

Any quality issues should I be aware of? My Fujitsu 5032D looks amazing and is so high quality in terms of components and assembly; I am not as impressed with the 730T. I am familiar with Lenovo, and just have been a little alarmed at some of the negative experiences here and elsewhere. Any ideas/advice/comments appreciated.

I do have 3year TPP on the Fuji, and would add that to the x201 if I switch. Any info/advice on adding that through a reseller versus Lenovo directly??

Thanks much in advance....

2. zuluman007

zuluman007 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there!

I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I can. Keep in mind that this is my first tablet PC and in fact the first tablet PC I have ever seen or played with so my opinions may not be as "researched" as seasoned Tablet PC users.

Pen input:
    I guess this depends on what you use it for. I use it for taking notes so accuracy may not be as important. I haven't found much to complain about as far as accuracy goes. Calibrating the pen in a given screen orientation will result in it being fairly accurate in that orientation but trying to use it in another orientation will induce a 2-3mm difference between the tip of the pen and what is recognized on screen. The edges of the screen may be a little less accurate than the rest and I've sometimes had to come back once or twice onto a small button in a corner of a window to get the pointer onto it properly. As far as "speed" I find it quite good. the pointer may trail behind the pen by 1-2mm when moving accross the screen but that's it. Maybe there are settings for that? I don't know.

The pen itself has a single button on the side, the tip button (if I can call it that) and the eraser on the opposite end.

Touch:
    Touch is fairly accurate but hard to gauge of course because my finger is a bit bigger than the pointer:p
    It is responsive but once in a while it will miss a tap of the finger and I have to repeat it. For scrolling through documents or what not it works very well.

Battery life:
    I have the Multitouch screen, i7-640lm processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm drive and 8 cell battery. With moderate laptop use, fairly aggressive power settings and fairly low screen brightness (4-7/15), I am getting closer to 7 hours of battery life. I've honestly never measured it accurately because I've never run out of battery. When used with the pen, battery life drops by about 15-20% so battery life is around 5 or so hours. When using multitouch and pen, it drops a little further (but not much).

Quality:
    I find the quality of construction and design excellent. I have the screen "wobble" that some have talked about but don't find it bothersome at all as I mostly use it when stationary. You can check out my Review Video in my signature to see it and judge for yourself. Heat and noise are very manageable. You can hear it but it's not overly loud. Air is quite warm at the fan exhaust port but the bottom of the tablet stays quite cool to the touch! To me that is well designed cooling system that's doing it's job.

Hope this answers some of your questions!
    Let me know if you have more and I'll do my best to answer them.

3. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

X201T's weigh in between three and half and just under 4 pounds. Each 4 cells in the battery weigh a half pound accounting for the difference. Measuring from 1" to 1.3" thick they have a modest tilt to give the keyboard the right feel without being flat but not enough to make holding the unit or using it in slate mode an issue since the bottom is flat. The 8 cell battery sticks out, but actually in many peoples' mind, that is a good thing as it gives you somewhere to hold the unit without actually touching the screen when in tablet/slate mode.

X201T's are extremely well built passing a number of military specs for durability and environmental conditions, have keyboard drainage built-in for accidental spills and many are customer upgradeable for various WiFi/3G/WWan options. They still have the magnesium alloy case that has made Thinkpads one of the most reliable and sturdy laptop lines in the business. You should report any physical defect of which there are 2 possible ones, on the day you get the unit preferably without starting it up. Bezel separation or extreme looseness in the hinge at the 180 degree resting point.

Lenovo's usage of UM processors guarantee excellent battery life though if you're going to run PS then the high end i7 processor would be preferred to help with the graphics. Most users won't have the screen brightness turned all the way up when used indoors - even the multi-touch screen is bright, and the unit can be held in your arms or lap without heat issues for hours on end.

i can't disagree with Zuluman007 on the tablet accuracy or battery life.

For $50 extra you can have webcam, 2.4/5Ghz "N" wifi and bluetooth if not already part of your configuration. (I love 5Ghz wifi and have it at my home.)

You can purchase up to 'accidental liquid and drop coverage' aka ThinkPad Protection (TPP) which can include 24x7 case management and either depot or on-site service for up to 4 years (there's a sale on 3yr TPP onsite right now) for $300 without the priority service. TPP coverage will include LCD breakage.

4. drex

drex Pen Pal - Newbie

zuluman-

yes i watched your videos, and some others, where i noticed the 'delay' in pen following.

i use the pen for taking notes/generating documents. i just picked up the fujitsu and have no deficit OR lag OR accuracy issues in either of the 4 screen positions. It hits dead-on, and the harder you push down, the thicker the line. i know the X201 has pressure sensitive pen, but i believe i read somwhere that you must download the drivers from wacom as the factory drivers are lacking. this seems a little strange -- lenovo/ibm is usually on the ball (at least in the old days), but i guess times have changed. again, if I change screen positions the pen remains constant in terms of targeting without having to recalibrate for any screen position.

i do not experience the multitouch/pen confusion issue i read about as well. I can hold the pen in my hand, and use my finger (like middle finger and tuck pen in my grip), and the multitouch works flawlessly without confusion.

stan--

thanks for the info. i would buy a prebuilt one (like zuluman did) with all acccessories, windows 7 64 bit, camera, dock, DVD, 4GB, 320 GB, multitouch, etc., with 3 year warranty which is about $2000 shipped from pcconnection. my question is how does one add TPP and onsite from authorized reseller (these should have codes which can be purchased as well).

gentlemen, thanks for the responses. I am really interested in the form factor of the 201, but I have concerns about what I am reading here and in other forums re multitouch and digitizer/pen surface. i am not as impressed with my T730 as my ST5032 in overall design, weight and ergonomics, but I am impressed with its function (but not battery life). I am still interested in the 201 but don't have the opportunity to play with one in person and I have 3-4 business days to return the fujitsu should I switch.

I would welcome any comments; I am not trolling or trying to point out shortcomings, but the X201 seems to have some issues that I am not finding in the fujitsu, and I would like to clarify what I am getting into before I pull the trigger.

one last question: the 201 only has one pen button on the side, and not a rocker or dual button?? the fuji has a second programmable button for short cuts, i just found out!

thanks

5. zuluman007

zuluman007 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi drex,

I checked out my video again to see if I could see the lag in pen response but I couldn't so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it. I checked the pressure sensitivity and it works in OneNote out of the box. There is no pressure sensitivity in Paint or Windows Journal. I don't really have any other programs to test it with so it seems like there is some level of pressure sensitivity in the drivers. What I seemed to read on here and elsewhere about pressure sensitivity problems was more specific to Photoshop but I could be mistaken.

I don't find there is much confusion in pen/multitouch use. I use the pen when writing notes and while holding the pen I lift it off the screen and use a finger to scroll through the document without any problems. It must depend on how you hold the pen and your hand position.

The pen does indeed only have a single button on the side.

I hope this helps a bit in your decision. Don't worry about asking questions, that's what this forum is for. There isn't that much information on these tablets out there and it's almost impossible to see them in person so I completely understand how hard it is to pull the trigger especially with the price of these tablets when compared to regular notebooks.

Good luck in your decision!

6. drex

drex Pen Pal - Newbie

zuluman-

thanks again. i was visiting forum.lenovo.com at the x201t section and its a little scary. i am like you in terms of needs; not an artist nor a tablet freak, but i want something that works. i really like the fujitsu but not its form factor, nor the fact that every accessory for it is ridiculously overprice. on the other hand, i haven't seen a lot of the issues the thinkpads are having with the fujitsu. in fact, there is hardly any T730 info anywhere..

i'm slightly depressed to read that the 8 cell doesn't last at leat 5-6 hours with light use; unless i'm mistaken, it doesn't seem to be that efficient. i do like the 360 gb primary drive... still debating....

thanks for the 411

7. Stan S.

2yr onsite + 2yr TPP is FRU 41C9337
    3yr onsite + 3yr TPP is FRU 41C9338
    4yr onsite + 4y TPP 41C9339

2yr DEPOT + 2yr TPP is 41C9335* (I checked twice, it's not sequential)
    3yr DEPOT + 3yr TPP is 41C9334
    4yr DEPOT + 4yr TPP is 41C9336

The i5 would be more battery friendly, but not as friendly for graphics since the um versions of the processors run the graphics GMA slower but not an issue for taking notes.

In the default settings, when the pen comes within 2mm of the screen it should turn off the touch. You should be able to adjust this a bit with the standard Windows tablet pen settings for more or less sensitivity.

Pressure sensitivity in graphics programs is usually not present until Wacom drivers are installed by the user. Some folks find that the combination of the Fuji pen driver and the Wacom are the best.

8. drex

drex Pen Pal - Newbie

yep... can that be added through lenovo within 30 days or must it be purchased at time of ordering through resller??...

9. Stan S.

Ask your reseller. While I am reasonably certain it can be purchased at the time of sale, I'm not sure that TPP can be purchased at all after the unit is delivered to prevent abuse issues. You can extend/upgrade warranties without TPP anytime. While you can in some countries purchase upgrades on the web, they suggest speaking with a human who might be more flexible.

Also, the price difference between Depot and Onsite is often small, $20 in case of 2 year but $200 in the case of 4 years. However, be aware that it's often hard to get them to actually do onsite for issues that they think are minor and can be done by the customer, e.g., hard drive, keyboard, wifi card. The CSR will simply ask for a CC to cover the part's cost if you don't return a broken one in 30 days, Lenovo pays shipping both ways.

And there is again a sale right now at Lenovo 'till Sept 15th, with discounts of $765 on a X201T with the i7 620, 250G 5400, 4G ram for $1700. With a 3yr onsite TPP policy it would be $1995.00 thought I think it needs the $110 upgrades for camera, wifi, bluetooth, fingerprint. But that's a $817.00 savings since the TPP policy is on sale, too. My options make it $2105.

10. drex

drex Pen Pal - Newbie

yep but by buying from costcentral, i get everything, w64/4gb/360gb72rpm, camera, 8 cell, DOCK, w64 for 1950ish plus $200 for 3 year tpp/onsite....