X200T memory errors with Corsair 4Gb RAM - need help

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by sanufi, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanufi

sanufi Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered the X200T with 1Gb of RAM and planned to upgrade the RAM myself. I bought a Corsair 2Gb stick and put it in the spare slot but memory errors were detected. So I swapped the sticks but memory errors still occurred. Thinking the RAM must have been incompatible, I took out the original 1Gb out and this time no memory errors and all was great.

I decided to upgrade to 4Gb so I bought another identical stick of Corsair 2Gb and put it the other slot. However, memory errors are being detected. So does the X200T support RAM in both memory sockets or have I just bought the wrong branded RAM?

I did not purchase the two Corsair 2Gb sticks at the same time or place. Could they have different specs and cause problems?

2. LenovoGringo

LenovoGringo Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you know the specs of the RAM (cas latency, speed, etc)? That would help in determining whether or not the RAM was supposed to be compatible.

It should be 2GB PC3-8500 1066MHZ DDR3 204PIN SODIMM.

3. sanufi

sanufi Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked on the Corsair website and from the packaging and they are the same as what you wrote. The latency is 7-7-7-20.

4. LenovoGringo

Those specs should be fine. In fact, the CAS values are the same ones that Lenovo uses. You might want to try resetting the memory chips.

5. sanufi

sanufi Pen Pal - Newbie

How do I do that?

6. LenovoGringo

Oops. What I meant was reseat the memory chips (just reinstall them). If that still doesn't work, I would call the company you bought them from to get an exhange or something.

7. sanufi

sanufi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thing is, I don't think there's anything wrong with the memory sticks. I tested them individually with memtest86+ and everything's fine.

Something I should mention is that if I only install one stick, it must go in one particular slot. I can't install one stick in the other slot otherwise I can't boot. Is this normal for Lenovo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.