X200t: How do i use GPS without WWAN?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by man_unit, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Matt3234

Matt3234 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    My X200t came with a GPS receiver. When I start the ThinkVantage GPS software, it tells me that I have to activate WWAN and I have to enter the PIN. However, I have no WWAN plan and do not intend to get one. Can I use GPS without WWAN? Maybe with a different software?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. enjoylife

enjoylife Pen Pal - Newbie

you can search on lenovo forum.
    you just need to download a program from lenovo
    and turn on the GPS. WWAN is not needed.

3. Matt3234

Thanks. I've been to their forum before and read the thread that says that you just have to install the GPS Enabler 2.0.0.1. I've actually got an even newer version (2.11) so this shouldn't be the problem.

How do I "turn on" the GPS? I haven't found a hardware button. Does it have to be turned on somewhere in the Control Panel or the like? Maybe you refer to the button "Start real-time tracking" in GPS Enabler: When I click that button, I'm prompted to enter the PIN for the WWAN connection (which I don't have). Is there a way to find out whether GPS is switched on even if no satellites can be detected at the moment?

4. CG-eng

CG-eng Pen Pal - Newbie

One possibility to consider is the the "GPS" really uses triangulation of the WWAN signals to determine position. I think that's the way Apple does it. Therefore, no WWAN, no GPS. All the Lenovo documents I have seen says service required...

5. enjoylife

enjoylife Pen Pal - Newbie

Apple is A-GPS.

I remember I saw a post in lenovo forum that some got the GPS to work without WWAN service.

6. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin Scribbler - Standard Member

I am still looking for clarification on this as well.

I have not been able to get on my x200 Tablet (GSM/AT&T), I do not have a WWAN plan.

The reviews that implied it worked without a plan (e.g. the x300 review) also seemed to have Verizon WWAN cards. These do not use a SIM verification system and may allow GPS without a plan whereas the AT&T may not.

Any help on a definite conclusion would be appreciated. I have already tried multiple versions of the GPS enabler software and used both Vista and XP without luck.

7. ratdoc

ratdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I can confirm that the GPS works fine on my X200T with the Ericsson card and GPS Enabler 2.01. The only catch I found was that you have to power up the WWAN card before opening the GPS program. Other than that, everything's been straight-forward.

8. Matt3234

And you don't have to enter a PIN or anything? Mine's still not working.

Can anybody recommend a (freeware) program other than the GPS Enabler to test the GPS functionality?

9. jonlumpkin

MS Streets and Tips has a free 60 day trial. You can use this to test GPS functionality. Note, this is a huge (1GB+) download.

10. man_unit

man_unit Pen Pal - Newbie

Everyone,

You don't have to have service to use the GPS. All you need to do is install the Lenovo program or driver which ever it is. Also, mine uses COM6 (look under 'PORTS' in Device manager)so you will need to install the drivers for that as well.

At this point you should be able to run the Thinkvantage GPS enabler and after a few minutes you should see the green sat. bars and your coordinates displayed.

One final thing is to press the fn & f5 key and you will see that the WAN signal is live.

IMHO it is not worth caring about since you still have to turn it off to access the google maps/earth to plot it. So its no TOMTOM :(

11. jonlumpkin

That's the main reason I haven't bothered too much with trying to get it to work. GPS is nice from time to time, but unless you can tie it into an internet service (must be WWAN based on the way the radios are managed on the x200T) it really isn't that useful. Plus I already have a Garmin Nuvi 660 that fulfills my GPS navigation role.

12. Marvin_H

Marvin_H Pen Pal - Newbie

That's somewhat true in case you intend to use online maps, such as Google Maps, Live Maps, etc. In that case you do need Internet access, which can be inconvenient (lost Internet connection may equal lost map access), and it can be quite costly, too, depending on the Internet usage limits of the contract you have with your Internet service provider.

However, unless you live in a country for which there are no other navigable maps available, you are not limited to using online mapping services. You may just buy one of several commercially available GPS software. That will only costs you from around $30 to $90, depending on which product you choose. If your laptop/tablet/netbook/whatever already has a GPS receiver built-in, good. If not, you can just buy a USB (or Bluetooth) GPS receiver for only about $30 or $40. The experience of such setup can equal or exceed the experience of the TomTom you mentioned, since you will see the map on a larger screen of your laptop. :)

13. man_unit

man_unit Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh don't get me wrong about GPS. I am hoping to eventually find an equivalent to VisualGPSce that I have on my Tilt. Its free and gives me more ways to geek out with more data than I really need to travel:p