X200 Touch Screen / Wacom tablet Driver Conficts?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by officeninja, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KidDynamic

KidDynamic Sketch & Doodle

Shog, I agree with you in theory. In practice, however, the penabled drivers from other Wacom digitizers just up and disables everything, no pen, no touch. I don't know why. In the conversation I was having with Paul, I got the impression that the 2-finger touch is a whole new beast. It took him a lot of back and forth between me and whoever he was talking to to try to figure out the solution, but nothing.

I DO have an update, however. After I send a long email to Wacom via that address, one of their techs wrote back within an hour and said this:
    "We're still trying to sort this out. But the attached driver may do what you are looking for."

He attached a file that's different than the others I've tried -- in filename it resembles the driver you can get off of Wacom's site (that doesn't work), and in folder structure it's identical to the driver that DRTigerlilly posted (extracted from the tm2, I think). It's named "PenTablet_511-15.zip". Unfortunately, this file gave me the same result as TigerLilly's did -- "Platform not supported."

I wrote back with the result but haven't heard back from them.

Strange. Just that hint of humanity and I'm feeling better. And the fact that they're "trying to sort this out" is reassuring. Maybe someone is on our side after all.

If anyone's interested in the text of the email I sent, you can look at it here.

I'll let you know if/when anything else happens.

KD

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. KidDynamic

Shog, on a slight tangent, I can't find the 5.1.1 driver anywhere. There's a 5.2.1-6 for Bamboo, and a 6.1.3-5 for Cintiq and Intuos. But I've tried the Bamboo drivers before, and they messed up my machine worse than anything else did. So I'm leery of trying them again.

EDIT: Okay, I found one thru Google. :)

EDIT 2: I just realized that the drivers that Wacom sent me today are version 5.1.1-15. So I'm going to hold off on trying the 5.1.1-1 file I just downloaded until I hear back from them about the other one. Maybe next week we'll have a resolution.

You know, I was musing today about how a lot of our headaches would go away if Adobe would adopt the MS Ink system. It works so well in SBP. If they enabled that, we'd waste a lot less time hacking our machines and spend more time making art. Then we could earn money and afford new versions of Photoshop! It really makes no sense for them to hold back.

And it doesn't help when MobileTechReview's got video of the TM2 blatantly photoshopping and paintering with full pressure sensitivity. As if my hide wasn't chapped enough.

*Okay, focus. Breathe. Calmness. Shake it out. Good.*

Have a good weekend, all. :)

KD

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

At times like this, I wish I had access to all the popular Tablet PCs so I can get my hands dirty and get it done. But since X200's digitizer should be identical to the TM2's, if the TM2 owners got it working, it should be very well possible to do so with X200 with the same drivers.

Only a theory without a way to test it personally, of course...

5. KidDynamic

Yeah, TigerLilly, I tried it, without results. That's one of the first things I tried.

I realize now that this is a zombie thread that shouldn't have been resurrected. My sincere apologies. Can we move this discussion to a new thread? I promise I'll keep everything in there... :)

KD

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

KidD, Can I ask if you did a fresh install on your X200?

7. KidDynamic

UPDATE!

Wacom has written back to me twice. Their first email was this:

"
    We have a project to get a driver working, but I can't say how long it might take. We had a driver, but we have since added touch, and have to resolve conflicts with other products, so that will take some time. I'll try to arrange for someone to get back in touch once we have something working.
    "

Hopeful, no? I wrote back to him, with this:
    "Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, if at all possible please let me know about progress with this, and if I can help (testing, etc). I have several people on the edges of their seats waiting for a resolution to this issue.

IS the digitizer/multitouch system in the new HP TM2 the same as the one in the Lenovo x200? I ask because there’s video on YouTube of the TM2 working properly with Photoshop. If it’s the same Wacom hardware, what’s keeping the Lenovo from working the same way? If it’s not the same, exactly what system IS in that unit?
    "

And I just got a reply:
    " You might find this surprising, but I have no idea what products have our technology in them. The work we do for HP and Lenovo and others are all under code names, and I never find out what the shipping product name/number is for a given code name.

Different systems have different drivers. It's up to the vendor to choose. Some USB units don't have drivers at all, which means no testing required, and no Wintab or Photoshop support. Some vendors want a fully featured driver, which includes Wintab and therefore Photoshop support (HP tends to choose this option).

There are units with pen and two finger touch that have Wintab support. However, since I don't know the shipping model name, or even if the product is shipping yet, I'm afraid I can't say. Asking around, the only unit that we know of (because someone here in another department bought one to use) is the Fujitsu Lifebook T4410.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    "

So there you go. They have multiple versions of the same hardware, and it's up to the manufacturer/integrator to decide which version to use. So choosing a computer that uses Wacom hardware is NOT A GUARANTEE of compatibility. And even THEY don't know which hardware is in which units. Unless they buy one for themselves.

I am vary annoyed by this. It seems likely that the end result is that people who have the multi-touch x200t will NEVER get Photoshop support, because Lenovo chose the version of hardware that doesn't offer it. Whereas Fujitsu and HP (probably) made the right choice and their versions support Photoshop, et al, right out of the box.

With all the other problems I'm experiencing with this machine, I must re-iterate to any artists considering a purchase of this unit: Do not buy at this time. Either wait until official support is forthcoming, or try a different brand. Your money is better spent somewhere else.

KD

8. xtin

xtin Pen Pal - Newbie

The wacom support said it: The Fujitsu has it. And what should I say? It works!!! =) x200 tablet with multi touch and pressure sensitivity in photoshop!

1.) uninstall any driver from wacom or lenovo for the digitizer/touch screen
    2.) Reboot
    3.) Get the driver here: http://webdownload.ts.fujitsu.com/d...ize=9346875&From=V3h2aWVxSm1waVhzRnZze3dpdi80, unzip, install it.
    4.) Reboot
    5.) Enjoy =)

Thanks to you guys for putting all the effort in to write to wacom and lenovo to find that solution :D

9. sinkpoint

sinkpoint Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes! This works perfectly. Thank you!

10. sinkpoint

sinkpoint Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, so I've tried xtin's suggestion of the fujitsu driver.
    It worked great, except for one thing, the pen driver is lost upon waking up from sleep. So a restart of the OS is required every time the tablet comes out of sleep mode.

This was annoying, so I tried the following hack:

Do this after you've installed the fujitsu drivers.

1. Download the fujitsu driver
    2. Download the newest Bamboo Pen and Touch driver from Wacom.
    3. Extract both files into separate folders.
    4. Now, replace the install.dat and common.dat files from the fujitsu driver --> bamboo driver folder.
    5. Compare the contents of the system32 folder of the fujitsu driver to that of the bamboo driver. Copy over any files that are missing in the bamboo driver. In my case, they were PenCal.exe in both /system32 and /system32/64 folders. You need to make sure the setup script can find files as they should.
    6. Copy and overwrite WTouch*.exe from the fujitsu driver over to the bamboo driver. In both the /system32 and /system32/64 folders.
    7. Now install the Bamboo drivers as normal and restart, things should work.

FYI, If you have no idea what I was talking about, you probably shouldn't mess with the drivers.

This is tested with Windows 7 64bit. touch and pen pressure in Photoshop works, and the sleep issue is solved so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.