X200 Touch Screen / Wacom tablet Driver Conficts?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by officeninja, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiralface

spiralface Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I have an x200 tablet that I recently got and i'm running into issues with my pen / touchscreen.

Currently, I don't have the wacom drivers after I got rid of them because after my touch screen stoped working while I had them installed. But I need the pressure sensitivity for my work in Computer Animaiton.

I've called Lenovo and they have apparently INSISTED that I can get the Wacom features to work with programs like Photoshop, and Z-brush to work with the touch screen, but so far, all I've seen is that I can either instal the wacom drivers and nuke the touch screen ability (Which to me seems like a waste of money since I paid to have it in to begin with) or I can keep the touch screen but then I loose the pressure sensitivity in programs like Photoshop and the like.

Can anyone help me get it to where both of them will work?

2. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom's correct...they can work together. In a perfect world setting it up would be seamless and transparent. But this is the world of Windows....

This is a procedure that was passed on to me by a very helpful gentleman at Wacom...It's basically an XP method (I'm one of those Vista-phobic digital artists) and I don't have a pc with Vista installed to walk this thru under that OS...so there may be points here you need to re-interpret slightly for your system.

*Start by uninstalling previous drivers – the Lenovo one and the Wacom one. REBOOT - and make sure the add-remove hardware dialog pops up. This means the system couldn’t find a driver and is ready to have a new one installed.

*After canceling the add-remove dialog, run the Lenovo multitouch driver. Here’s the XP link:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67061

Here's the link for Vista:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67220

*After running the appropriate driver, REBOOT.

*Install the Bamboo driver from:
    http://www.wacom.com/downloads/driver-detail.php?id=204

*REBOOT once more.

Things should now work.
    If calibration is an issue for your stylus you must calibrate after temporarily turning off touch input – Go to the Device Manager [control panel (classic view)-system-hardware tab – Device Manager]. Go to the "human interface devices"...scroll to "touch panel driver". Right-click on it and select "Disable" in the context menu. Don’t close out the Device Manager...you'll come back to it in a second.

Calibrate your stylus.

Go back to the Device Manager window, right-click on "touch panel driver" again and enable. Close everything.

Hope this works for you. Are you a professional animator working on a tablet?

T

3. man_unit

man_unit Pen Pal - Newbie

4. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

Honestly, they were recommended to me by the ObiWan at Wacom I was communicating with. Although they are designated as Bamboo, I believe they have the newest universal drivers - newest because Bamboo is the freshest item in Wacom's line-up.
    T

5. spiralface

spiralface Pen Pal - Newbie

It might be a bit of an issue with vista because I believe that it has native tablet drivers with some tools that wacom didn't have.

So I might have to end up calling Wacom. Did you tell them anything that I should probably tell them to help me with this issue? I'll probably have to wait till the holidays are over to get it done. But thanks for letting me know that it is actually possible, and if worse comes to worse, I'll just have to find myself having to install XP 64 that came with the system to ditch vista.

Thanks tlewis.

And yeah I'm a professional computer artist, but not an animator. Mainly computer modeling and texture artwork for animation (hence the need for the tablet functionality.) But I want to start branching out into concept artwork, so I want to get this eventually working as my digital sketchpad if I can get the touch screen and pen functionality finally working together.

6. kartal

kartal Pen Pal - Newbie

I am trying to figure out if x200 is based on wacom or not. Based on this topic, can I assume that x200 is a wacom based tablet pc? The reason I am asking is that this particular model is not listed as wacom enabled model on Wacom`s partners site.

thanks

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it is wacom based, the 0nly non wacom based tablets are the gateway c285/cx2xx (finepoint), the hp tx2, the dell latitude xt.(both of which are ntrig)

8. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been fiddling around trying to get wacom to play nice with photoshop. I was able to get pen pressure in photoshop by doing the following:

• Uninstall both the wacom and default lenovo touch drivers
    • Install lenovo touch driver "7wge57ww.exe", restart (What's with the super helpful lenovo driver names? How is anybody supposed to decipher that?)
    • Install the bamboo pen and touch driver "PenTablet_521-6.exe", restart

That gets pressure working in photoshop 32 and 64 bit versions, but I get two problems from that. First, the pen input is very choppy, visually. The drawing is smooth but the display isn't, so if I draw a circle, the circle looks fine but it appears in segments. The second and even bigger problem is that multitouch doesn't work! Touching the screen does absolutely nothing! I'm guessing the bamboo driver doesn't support multitouch? Although I selected the bamboo pen and touch driver. Is there anyway to get everything to work?

9. bahadirodevci

bahadirodevci TheSerraglio

I ran into similar issues with the pen / touchscreen of my x200 tablet, which I have bought last week.
    After the first day I used it, touch panel became unresponsive, then I was able to observe the driver conflict in the device manager.

I tried to load the most recent touch panel drivers from Lenovo web site,

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70656

also the one from Wacom (Wacom Penabled Driver Driver 5.05-7), neither of them worked.

I upgraded the BIOS to 3.11, since there was a fix about the touch screen, did not work either.

Lenovo support suggested to use System Update, however, interestingly enough, Lenovo System Update on my laptop could not locate the correct driver for my hardware ! Because it was insisting to load the multitouch driver to my hardware, whereas my tablet screen was penable, not finger touch based.

This is the web page I finally found the right driver:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/WIN7-BETA.html#dtx200

The correct driver for my hardware is "Digitizer/Touch driver for X200 Tablet", and it works perfect at the moment :)

10. daslolo

daslolo Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here - which renders the touch feature useless.
    What's the solution ?
    (this thing is about to be returned soon)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.