x200 Tablet, Windows 7 upgrade, fingerprint reader workaround

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by jroosth, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jroosth

jroosth Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed Win 7 on my 7450-W6X, which is the X200 with 4GB Ram, Camera, 128 GB SSD and x200 Ultrabase bundled. I did a clean install and could not get the fingerprint reader to work. The Authentec AES2810 drivers are found on start up if you uninstall them, no problem. However when one installs the Lenovo Fingerprint software, reboots and fires it up, when you try and enroll fingers it says, "Cannot communicate with sensor." I felt pretty strongly that this was a software issue and not a problem with the hardware because:

1. Sensor worked perfect in Win Visa Business
    2. The machine has not moved from my desk
    3. On the Lenovo forums, someone was able to get the 64 bit software to work.

SO in desperation I tried another manufacturer's software and now it works fine. Here is my recommendation:

1. Search the web and find from DELL, R207052.exe, which are the Authentec Drivers for Vista, Win 7 from Dell. Put them someplace you can find them.
    2. Uninstall the Authentec Truesuite software from Uninstall Software in Control Panel
    3. Uninstall the Lenovo Fingerprint software.
    4. In device manager, delete the Authentec AES2810 device under Biometric Devices
    5. Shut Down and start up again. I tried a number of "restarts" and something did not quite go right
    6. When you start up again install the Dell package. Curiously during the install process you will see a message about the sensor not being found, but go ahead and click OK on any dialogue boxes that pop up.
    7. Restart
    8. GO to Device Manager and click enroll fingerprints and VIOLA, it will come up with the Dell software wth a short animation showing a Dell computer and then pics of 2 hands and it allows you click on which fingers you want to enroll....save your data and
    9. Reboot to finger swiping bliss

I do not work for Lenovo(obviously) or Dell.

2. sinthome

sinthome Pen Pal - Newbie

wait ok you are running 32-bit windows, even though you hav 4gbs ram, aren't you. i couldn't get this to work with x64 win7. no idea how to get my FP reader working.

3. sinthome

sinthome Pen Pal - Newbie

ok i got it to work using authentec's own software. way better than the lenvo one. works great now.

4. overfiend06

overfiend06 Pen Pal - Newbie

a link would be helpful....

I tried searching for it, but came up empty handed.

5. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member