x200 Tablet Battery life

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Chocobo, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphakenny1

alphakenny1 Pen Pal - Newbie

okay i just did an install of the windows 7 RC and now I'm getting about 12.5w. Is there something I'm missing? With my previous OS, vista business 32 bit, i was getting over 6 hours easy, now i'm getting about 4.5 hrs. Am I supposed to do some tweaks or something? Thanks.

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO. on 7450CTO. 4GB 160G-7200, 8-cell, running wifi, just under 6 hours with Energy Star standard plan on VISTA Ultimate (need bitlocker) .

The SL9400 is not as efficient as the SU9400 which has less cache and the SU is now the ULTRA low wattage champ, 10w vs 17w in the SL version. No way to correct this short of a motherboard change.

Any hard drive is not as energy efficient as a SSD drive. If you have not put WiMax or UMTS inside the unit you could get a Intel Turbo Memory Card 2G mini PCI half sized card (4G are now becoming available) to reduce the HD access since the Turbo card has non-volatile memory for hibernation and capable of power boost on VISTA/Win7, it used the high speed bus to do the anticipated transfers from/to the HD allowing the HD to spin less. http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/turbomemory/whitepaper.pdf edited to fix url

Many people have reported improved access times and should have improved energy efficiency too. I'm going to order one of these for my unit, it's a optional customer install that requires the keyboard to be removed.

Also, based on a Lenovo video I saw, you have to use the Lenovo power management and go into the configuration options and allow it to turn all the stuff off when it is not being used....battery stretcher.....

Meanwhile for a $3,500 list computer....(with ultrabase and dvd-rw and warranty....)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

4. eatbuckshot

eatbuckshot Pen Pal - Newbie

1.86 ghz sl9400
    4gb
    intel 80gb ssd
    touchscreen
    7448-cto
    no cam

0/15 brightness
    wifi off
    800mhz lfm .9250v
    low cpu usage

never gotten below 10watts
    however my friend's
    same specs except intel 5300, with cam,

at half brightness with wifi on, and browsing gets
    ~10watts,
    his goes down to 6 watts

5. akarts

akarts Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, after few months of regular use I get ~2 hours on battery (SL9400, 4GB RAM, WD Blue Caviar 500GB/5400rpm, CCFL, no cam, 4cell battery, 50% brightness, WinXP). Quite far from the original 3.5 hours in the first days; maybe the metering was not calibrated enough.

Not that great; this info is just in case somebody would be interested.

6. akarts

akarts Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you guys compare OSes (i.e. XP vs Vista), and BIOS settings? There are BIOS settings for CPU and PCIe powerdown. I turned them off to get rid of the Penryn "whine", but this sacrifices some battery life.

7. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

With the SL9400 1.86 GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 4 cell battery, no camera, screen max dimmed, disabled sound, Win XP tablet, N wifi, no pen and stock HDD, I get around 12 watts and 2 hours of battery life. This is pretty sad. I see some people have their wattage much lower, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Edit: It's now dropped to 8.3, but that still gives me a max battery life of around 3 hours and is still awful compared to my old T2010.

Thing says it's giving 15.67 Volts, but the design voltage is 14.40. Does that mean it's eating up more juice than it should, and i have to slap it on the wrist? Where's the wrist-slapping button?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.