x200 - speakers not working but headphone jack is

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by yeah-yeah, Jun 30, 2009.

1. yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah Pen Pal - Newbie

Both my x200 laptop speakers and my dock speakers aren't working, but the headphone jack is working fine. Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? Any suggestions of how to fix it? Thanks!

2. vonstroodl

vonstroodl Pen Pal - Newbie

Try hitting the volume up button above your keyboard a few times. On mine, I didn't install a certain driver so that the speakers mute independently of Windows control.

That is, on my computer (x200, windows 7, but this works in xp and vista as well), hitting mute button will mute the speakers, but not headphones. Volume Up/Down will reengage the sound. It also controls the Windows sound volume. Weird, but I like it this way.

3. yeah-yeah

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried all manner of buttons and nothing got it going. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers but that didn't work either. Then, automagically, the speakers started working again. So problems solved, just no idea why or how.

4. yeah-yeah

The audio issues with my x200 continue. I updated the audio drivers via the ThinkVantage System Update and the audio seemed to be working fine: headphone jack, laptop speakers, and dock speakers. Today I rebooted my machine and the audio drivers failed to load, which has happened previously. I rolled back my audio drivers in the device manager and the laptop and dock speakers now work fine, but the headphone jack will not produce audio.

I'd like to be running the latest drivers, but they fail to load on a reboot. Any ideas? Thanks!

5. yeah-yeah

It seems that the problem is that computer is having problems switching from headphones to speakers, though it appears to only surface in applications but doesn't occur with anything OS related, so Windows sounds work regardless of output. Winamp throws an 'Error Creating DirectSound Buffer' when I unplug the plug from the headphone jack while it is playing audio. Chrome doesn't throw errors, but it will only play audio through the headphone jack or speakers, not both.

Any ideas? Thanks!

6. Lat

Lat Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm encountering this same issue on my X61T. Do you think it's a hardware issue? If so, I better send my laptop back while it's still under warranty...but I want to make sure it isn't a driver issue first.

7. yeah-yeah

I rolled the drive back to an earlier version and the problem went away. I won't update the audio driver even though there have been driver updates.