X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As much as I'd like to believe the Apollo program was purely about exploration and science, I can't discount the military motivations of manned space supremacy.

Just as I can't discount the nuclear science applications that will one day lead to clean fusion energy.

There's always dark side. There's always a light side. And humanity walks the edge.

lovelaptops, desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

WTF.. Seriously, they gave up?!! :confused: I don't know about Lenovo anymore.. Their ordering and shipping is nuts, and now they can't fix their own machines?? :eek:

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's really strange, and I still feel it is a thermal design problem with the ThinkPad X1 Yoga with all the stuff I had stuffed in there. 4k display, i7-8665, 16gb, 2tb, and WWAN. They no longer even offer a 4k display on this model, nor the 2tb SSD. The first repair was motherboard and fans. Second repair was going to be motherboard (again), heat sink (I assume fan assembly), and the 2tb SSD. They said they couldn't get parts until late December at best, and maybe they just got tired of my hounding them about details, or it may have been the 2tb SSD replacement. They never would acknowledge my video showing the i7-8665U spiking all over the place.

Who knows, but I'm off to HP again, but initial setup has gone very smooth. Everything is snappy and fresh. I've posted a few pictures of the Spectre and GB12 over in the Lenovo thread, and it's astounding how close they are in size and weight...and how much more is in the Spectre wrapper.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

You may be on to something. There's a guy on the Lenovo forums hounding every poster about when the UHD screen will become available again. Looks like there may be real trouble. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on that X1 tablet, they never shipped it and don't have a shipping estimate. Pretty bad.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This is a Lenovo thread; which one did you post the comparison pics in? Btw, is there a reason you went for the Spectre rather than the Elitebook business class version? I know it costs much more, but between repairability and upgradeability and better support, (not to mention much brighter screen and better battery life - not that the Spectre's is at all bad) I would think it's a no-brainer. Oh, and, this has nothing to do with the fact that I've been recommending it to you for, like, 2 years :p

6. JoeS

It's in the Pro X thread, you can click the little arrow on the post quote I made earlier to jump there.

7. dstrauss

Sorry Jeff - meant to say I posted it in the Spectre x360 Ice Lake thread: 13" OLED Spectre on Ice

As for the Spectre vs Elitebook decision - immediate availability at incredible price point, and who knows. may get some cash back when they announce BB Black Friday bargains...I'm not sure about that upgrade-ability angle, because there's not much more I would want but LTE, and can't have that and 4k OLED. AMEX gives me a second year of warranty, which will far outlive my history with any device except the GB12...

8. lovelaptops

Wow, I was actually unaware of the new Spectre model w/OLED, zero bezel, precision trackpad, etc. I'm happy for you and so envious that when $ becomes less restricted I think I'm in! (If you decide to change devices for reasons other than dissatisfaction - oh, you know, a rare moment of wanting a change of pace, rare as that would be for you! - I'm your buyer! (Btw, how much was it at BB?)

Use it in good health!

9. dstrauss

$1699 plus tax - a pretty good price for the specs I thought.

10. lovelaptops

Awesome!