X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Week Three Update
    • Ditto Week Two
    • There have been a few hiccups - mysterious loss of TB3 Dock connection and Bluetooth, but fixed with reboot (almost certain a Windows Update issue)
    • This little beast is a powerhouse - and the really only difference with every 13" laptop/two-in-one out there is 1.25-1.6" more width; rest of dimensions and weight is right at the magic 3 pounds
    • Screen quality is superb
    • Get 6-7 hours of real work out of the battery
    • LOVE having USB-C/TB3, USB-A AND HDMI in the same shell - forgot how handy that can be...:D
    • Also having LTE is a portable dream when you want to send client emails from Starbucks...;)
    • Just wish:
      • SOMEONE would make a softer nib for the Lenovo pen and give it a little more drag on the screen
      • Lenovo would make this 16:10 and shorten the forehead and chin - nirvana
    One last upcoming test tomorrow - to see if I can get this dock to drive two 4k 27" monitors as claimed (afraid it will reduce one to 30Hz off HDMI). If it passes, I will sign off of this thread unless an issue develops or I have a true revelation. When I compare to the Surface Laptop 3 13" and 15" it is a dream; and far better (for me at least) than the Surface Book 2. And let's not even talk about the FAILED MacBook Pro experiment (what a S***TY keyboard).

In fact, the only reservation, if you can call it that, is I still want an 8"+/- moleskin replacement rather than undocking and running off to a meeting with this - HOWEVER, having said this, in a meeting last week it was SWEET to have both my Word document draft and OneNote open on a single screen and taking notes in black while annotating the doc in red => THAT is cool. :cool:

What's even cooler - my iPad Pro 11 has spent two weeks on my nightstand as only my News+ magazine reader; even iTunes is better on the widescreen TX1Y!

Hey @Bronsky - weren't you a ThinkPad X201 guy when you first got on this forum?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  2. dstrauss

Well

JINX

Me and my big mouth. Temps started doing that weird spiking out of nowhere again (it will run for hours at 45-50C and/or 58-65C, then for several minutes random cores jump to 97-100C and back to the base temp. Lenovo is sending a depot box tomorrow with 7 business day repair. They did offer me the option to remove the SSD before sending - need to think about that.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've been pondering this model, as I'm still on my Thinkpad 14 (5 years old in January!). But I was curious about some of the different CPUs and was hoping to get some input.

First, is the Comet (?) Lake cpu worth pausing to buy the model with it, since its going to be shipping with it soon? My primary interest is battery life and running cool. Everything nowadays is powerful enough for my needs. I don't know what kind of difference people think it will provide.

Second, what's the story on Ice Lake? Do people think that being the first 10nm CPU will be a big deal in terms of battery life and heat? It's been a while since we've shrunk the die, and I was wondering if we'd see an obvious and clear shift in use case/ design based on what it provides, the way, say, there was a big shift when core2duo came out. I don't normally wait around for the (always) better next gen of CPU, but this seemed like it might be such a big jump that it would be worth waiting for.

I don't NEED a new laptop, but I'm interested. This one is getting long in the tooth. Again, what I'd always really like is better battery life and a cooler, quieter machine. Thanks for any input you can give!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. dstrauss

Well, props to Lenovo/IBM (looks like it is going to an IBM depot center) - they had the repair box back to me this morning by 11:00. I am backing up and wiping/restoring the SSD for client confidentiality purposes and it goes back to FedEx overnight. Have to admit that's pretty top shelf service.

I have been scratching my head on that service angle. It was suggested by a person I really respect that this may be my software load, or anti-malware software. Because I need to wipe the drive, I guess if they don't find it, that may be the answer. But the strange thing is as soon as I described the problem to the tech, she immediately told me she had authorized a repair and was sending the box, without so much as a single troubleshooting action. Leads me to believe this is a known issue (sudden core spikes).

Guess we'll see...:(

Marty and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

The X1 Yoga is heading to the repair depot in Memphis - props again to Lenovo for FedEx overnight to get the box here and back to them. Now to see how long the repair takes.

Interesting, I'm typing this on old reliable Samsung Galaxy 12. Maybe I'll never learn, "There is no place like home..."

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I meant to ask this earlier, did you ever manage to catch the responsible processes in the act? When it runs hot, do you see a particular process hogging the CPU in task manager?

7. dstrauss

Nothing in Task Manager; in fact the maxed out cores (97-100 C) rarely exceed 40% utilization. However, it happens so fast (up and back down in a matter of seconds) it was hard to nail down. I was told to look for spiking caused by anti-malware activities, but disconnecting from the internet and shutting off Malwarebytes and Windows Defender, stil random spiking.

I think I mentioned that the speed with which the tech immediately issued a depot return, without ANY troubleshooting steps with me, makes me believe this is on the "known issue" list. It could also be a thermal problem with this configuration - i7-8665, 16gb ram and 2tb ssd - maybe it's just too hot in their - BUT - why randomness and spiking up and down in seconds.

Will keep everyone posted...

JoeS likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My bet is the motherboard has faulty temperature sensors and/or whacked out voltage regulators.

It is very difficult for temperatures to spike like that, physically, because thermal energy integrates the power curve. So even the 8665U running at max turbo of 4.5GHz would take more than a few seconds to reach 100C, unless the fans totally deactivated, or some part of the CPU was drawing unusual current.

And once there, the cooling system isn't magic either, so it should take more than a few seconds to go back to 40-50C, unless those cores suddenly deactivated (which would then cause your system to lock-up).

So I'll bet your new unit will come with revised motherboard, probably running different firmware too. ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

Hope you’re right @Marty because I already miss my little beast...

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice diagnosis @Marty !
    I agree with you that basic physics would argue against (though not completely) temp increases that rapid.

@dstrauss I know you have already sent it back, but do you recall seeing the spikes on battery vs. AC ? If it's a voltage regulator it wouldn't happen on battery.

and BTW: Even after all this time with portable computers, the AC adapter , battery charging systems are still the weak point in everybody's laptops and one reason that Apple for instance moves as much circuitry as possible to the ac-adapter. That was one of the major reasons for the whole "made for iPhone" program and now of course iPad as well.

OTOH, It also allows Apple to have a yet another revenue avenue too:oops: