X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, that's too bad, looks like they're saving it for the 5th gen. Let's hope that they also FINALLY come to their senses and give these machines a 3:2 screen. Until they do the Surface line is pretty attractive, with the main downsides imo "no silo" and "no way to get to the internals".

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't think they'll ever go 3:2, and even unlikely to go 16:10. Look at today's refresh of the HP X360 13 - stayed 16:9 and just shortened the depth of the device. These manufacturers are just hung up over media devices (16:9 is substantially cheaper)

3. JoeS

On the one hand, ugh, you may be right. On the other hand, their X1 Tablet *is* 3:2. So there's a tiny glimmer of hope.

4. dstrauss

I completely forgot that, and I had one for a couple of weeks -

[​IMG]

JoeS likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Week Two Update:

I am loving this thing. In fact, a good friend was amazed that I was so locked onto this thing. The only issue, if you can even call it that, is that the device is really too large as a tablet for note taking on the fly. But that is not its fault, it is mine for wanting something more along the size of the old Asus VivoTab Note 8, and yet I won't convert to a Galaxy Note 10+.

Things are running so well I didn't even make a Surface Pro X pre-order...:vbeek::vbeek::vbcool::newpalm:

I explained my reasoning over in the SPX Thread, but in a nutshell, even disregarding taxes and "new" vs "used" I am getting an incredible amount of capability in a package 1.4" wider, 0.3" deeper, 0.24" thicker, and between 0.28-0.48 lb heavier.

I am finally happy!:thumbsup::thumbsup::hi:

PS - I bought the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 (uh hm, where's the Thunderbolt Microsoft?) and everything connects perfectly (2xQHD monitors; printer; gigabit Ethernet; TB3 backup drive) and running smoothly.

wytn, lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I never thought we'd reach it: @dstrauss nirvana! :hi::thumbsup::newpalm:

JoeS likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Thanks - but let's call it dstrauss equilibrium - don't think I can handle nirvana.

So was it you or @JoeS that pointed me towards an X1 Yoga months ago?

8. JoeS

And only a "temporary equilibrium" of course. I doubt it was me who suggested the X1Y4, given my struggles with the X1Y3. I did post a couple of sales here, so maybe you went for one of those? On the upside, I've been posting left and right that the X1Y4 looks like a better machine than the X1Y3. Far fewer trouble with the latest model, at least based on forum posts over at lenovo.com. Glad it suits your needs :thumbsup:

9. dstrauss

Until I have to decide between Neo and Duo as my "complimentary note taking device" because I don't want to wait until 2022 for Timmy to deign us worthy of a folding iPhone 14...

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

As much as I like to take credit (for smart moves ;)) I believe I stuck to urging you to get the HP Elite book, largely because I don't trust Lenovo's QC and the recent Elite book has an insanely bright/private screen and equally insanely hi batt life. Still, I'm glad you made the choice and are so happy with it. If it doesn't flake out on you I may be next in.

JoeS likes this.