X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just received my Yoga Gen 4. 4k, 1 T HD, 16GB RAM, I7-8665. Supposed to be WWAN but came without. Great display for a Thinkpad. Not quite as bright and vibrant as my Surface 2017 LTE but very good. The keyboard is still 400% better than my Surface 2017 even with less key travel. The trackpad is excellent and the aluminum is a great addition. I had the Yoga 3 which I returned because it was too large and the OLED display was awful. This is much smaller and lighter even with the aluminum chasis. The inking is great for notes. If an artist there are better solutions. The keyboard keys don't retract in tablet mode but touching them doesn't interfere with inking. I do more inking on my Note 10+ or Ipad 12" so I don't need the Yoga to be my primary tool for inking. I plan on using this hard for another few days to decide if it is a keeper.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Question: is this worth the extra money vs the x390/490? The weight is about the same. Most specs about the same (given that you order same screens.) Am I missing something? Also, note that the new X1 Yoga does not have an SD card and the keyboard lacks the "wave" feature, which most Yogas have had since inception - the keyboard locks, flush with the casing, making operation in tablet mode much more comfortable. I've never gotten used to using 2-in-1s with creepy moving keys under the hand that holds the "tablet." Not a deal breaker, but unless the better audio is important, I'm not sure if the 2019 X1 Yoga is worth the extra money. The 2018 version also gets much better battery life, given the same cpu and screen option.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Interestingly, there is no x490- only the x390 yoga. I've actually checked out the x390, and quite liked it. Great typing, better pen tech, etc. And noticeably cheaper. Of course, screen isn't as bright, nor are the speakers as loud, nor is it as thin and light. But it's still a very nice convertible laptop. But there is no 490 version. There are other yoga devices that are 14" or 15", but they don't have a trackpoint or a silo'd pen.

So if you want a 14" thinkpad yoga with a trackpoint, the x1 yoga is the only option.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the research. How weird that they skipped the x490.

Wow, the world is awash in great business/productivity ultrabooks! sI just caught up on about 8 of Lisa's (mobiletechreview.com) most recent ultrabook reviews and learned something new: the major brands have become very clever at making premium and sub-premium lines, each of which are better and cheaper than their predecessors but all of which have missing features or other flaws that make it darn near impossible to find the "perfect" product, no matter what your needs or preferences! The X1 is in many ways the most impressive and less costly than its predecessors, but I'm not sure the last year's model doesn't provide better options - screen options, bigger battery, an SD card, lock-in keyboard - that make it more attractive to find a 2018 refurb (more likely to be reliable and have the gen 3 bugs fixed, not to mention cheaper) than to buy the new one, though the lighter, thinner profile and great audio of the new ones are hard to pass up. Then there are some very attractive options - from the far more affordable Dell and HP consumer models (talking Inspiron/Envy) that are as good as the X1s of gen 2 and cost under $1.2K loaded and below $900 on sale very decently configured, up to the Latitude and Elitebook models that are even more expensive than the X1s but more fully upgradeable/maintainable in ways I find extremely attractive given how much I miss having a computer I can fix or upgrade rather than throw away, dump in landfill and replace.

Thus, a market more loaded with excellent choices, which are harder than ever to make! An embarrassment of riches - and values - yet I can't make a decision!

JoeS likes this.
  5. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

Lenovo used to have both a regular (non X1) 12.5 inch and a 14 inch ThinkPad Yoga. The ThinkPad Yoga 260 and the ThinkPad Yoga 460. This only lasted one generation though. Lenovo discontinued the ThinkPad Yoga 460 and replaced the ThinkPad Yoga 260 with the ThinkPad Yoga 370. Supposedly, The ThinkPad Yoga 460 was too large & heavy for most customers, while the screen of the ThinkPad Yoga 260 was too small. The result was to release a 13.3 inch ThinkPad Yoga instead, which is why we have the ThinkPad X390 Yoga now (Thinkpad Yoga 370 -> ThinkPad X380 Yoga -> ThinkPad X390 Yoga).

The ThinkPad X1 Yoga is a different case, because it was always based on the ThinkPad X1 Carbon and that has a 14 inch screen since the beginning. And it always used much more expensive materials, so it was much lighter than the ThinkPad Yoga 460 as well. The newest X1 Yoga Gen 4 is also nearly as compact as the X390 Yoga, thanks to smaller bezels.

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What always surprises me is that Lenovo makes a number of other very nice 14 and 15.6" convertible yogas, some of which are relatively premium (and yet they have no Trackpoint, nor the Thinkpad keyboard), yet they don't think a 15.6" Thinkpad Yoga will sell... or so I would presume from ibmthink's previous posts. Because of 1 example 15.6" model from something like 5 years ago that didn't sell well?

It sure seems like the market has changed, given what Dell and Samsung and HP are doing in that size. I hope Lenovo catches up.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

8. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't mind me, I've just come back to remind myself that the x1 yoga line is still 16:9 and not 16:10 or 3:2.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah it’s ridiculous. I’m trying to hang on to my 3rd gen long enough to see the release of a 3:2 model.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Returning to ThinkPad after ten years has been a real revelation. My last ThinkPad was an x61S, the best laptop and docking solution I ever owned (it was banned by new law firm that was an HP only shop - bleh). I've been daily driving the X1 Yoga in my signature for a week now, and have to say it is a great device, save for a few concerns about overheating when folded in tablet mode (random cores hitting upper 90's C for a few seconds - still investigating that). It is too large for a full time note taking device, but at my desk with a dock and multiple monitors, it is a great solution. AND I LOVE THE STYLUS AND SILO.

In fact, in the last 9 months I've tried almost everything - Surface Book 2 13.5", XPS 15 and 13, HP Spectre x360 15 and 13, HP Spectre Folio, and the X1 Yoga is the hands down winner. Are there things I would change - just two - (1) make that screen at least 16:10, there is more than enough chin for that; and (2) bring back at least a mSDXC card slot, if not a full SD card slot. In fact, I'd be more than glad to sacrifice one of the USB-A ports for the card slot.

You might ask why I didn't just wait for the new 10th gen release - I got an incredible deal on this three month old model AND Lenovo is screwing up by using Comet Lake in the "new" 4th Gen Yoga X1, instead of the Ice Lake part which would have brought Iris Pro graphics to the table instead of the well worn(out) UHD 620.

JoeS likes this.