X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The deafening silence in this thread can only mean that everybody is frantically ordering this system. I’m sure of it.

3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, so the problem is -

Things that didn't improve:
    - still 16:9 with huge lower bezel. They should go to 3:2 screens
    - Still quite a bit heavier than the 2.5lbs X1 Carbon at 3.09lbs
    - Still no volume rocker
    - Still can't open one-handed, see about 50 seconds into the video here.

- Paprika, the plagiarizer

Also, it's still 16:9.
    Did I mention it's 16:9?

People don't know you can get around letter boxing (black bars) with this chrome extension StretchView for youtube

and also MPC HC (alternative to VLC) has options to stretch the video to fill in the black bars that are even better than VLC's for 3:2

And then once people realize this, they will all migrate to either 16:10 or go all out 3:2.

Right?

Right?

I wonder if it's also a gaming issue. Still, I think a lot of games support 3:2 though, no?

People don't understand- 3:2 isn't just better for tablets. It's better for almost every task to have more vertical real estate (writing, coding, reading documents, browsing websites, video editing) on a laptop too. The only application where 16:9 is better is videos. And there are ways to kill black bars now.

Druid and JoeS like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No EMR, no deal.

The pen garage is a smart move, though. -And it's obviously mentioned a lot in the literature because somebody at Lenovo was doing their research and probably wandered through this site or one like it.

The pen garage is one of the things I don't even realize I appreciate so much about my Samsung N9P because it's so thoughtlessly useful and automatic. It's like saying, "I love the fact that my laptop has a screen built right into it! I wish all laptop makers included a screen!" (I'm being hyperbolic, of course. But only just.)

paprikaleapt and JoeS like this.
  5. paprikaleapt

1. bbbbbbBut Samsung's penabled 15 inch 2 in1 has no GPU, amirite?

No EMR, no deal >>>>> No discrete GPU, no deal?

What if you want to game and play angry birds? Or age of empires 2 definitive edition after it comes out? Hmmm?

2. I guess eventually I will get into USB C connectable GPU's. But I heard it is not as easy as just connecting a USB C port. Have to buy a GPU, screw it in to a casing, make sure it's compatible with your laptop, right?

6. thatcomicsguy

Yeah, I've head those angry birds can be demanding!

Mind you, the N9P does actually come with a Radeon 540 graphics card built in, but I don't know how well it stands up to angry birds. Mostly my work doesn't need too much punch.

7. paprikaleapt

Shut the front door

Professor Hulk

8. paprikaleapt

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...k-series-9/notebook-9-pro-15--np940x5m-x01us/

This one?

You don't mind the
    - 1920 by 1080
    - probably not as bright as a surface book
    - Does n9p have a reflective screen?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

That's the one. I've been using it for a year and a bit now. It's been an excellent machine.

I'd prefer a 3:2 screen, or a return to the days of 4:3, (ha ha, as if that were ever going to happen!), but 15" makes the wide screen viable. I wouldn't say "No" to another inch, but 15" is enough.

There are limitations with the EMR; even though it's using Wacom parts, you can't use Wacom drivers. You have to use the Samsung pen driver, which was designed for Android phones. You can get around enough of that barrier to matter, using a couple of available bits of third party software (free) so that the artist can get the typically expected functionality out of the pen. I use both the pen which tucks away in the body of the machine, and a couple of third party pens which are larger and more comfortable to use. I carry them in a pencil case when I go places.

The screen is very bright, (too bright, if you ask me), and the glass is high gloss, which is a problem for some users. I find I adjust to it quickly and forget about it when drawing, but it would probably be better if it were a mat finish. Battery life is so-so, (after a year, on the same battery, I find I get around 3+ hours of solid, no-compromise use before needing to plug in. The packaging says 8, but.., psh. What does that even mean? Even when the battery was new, I never got more than 5 hours out of it.)

Anyway, imho, for a machine released in 2017, it's still one of the best Cintiq alternatives on the market, at about 1/2 the price of a dedicated Wacom MSP 16, (plus it has a built-in keyboard.) It's one of my favorite computers that I've owned.

Great touch screen, too. Samsung leveraged their smart phone experience to nail that element down tight. Clip Studio Paint on the N9P is dreamy!