X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been thinking about this vs the Lg Gram 2 in 1.

A 2 pound LG Gram 2 in 1 sounds delicious when compared to this 3 pounder.

But no trackpoint, no silo, worse screen for the LG gram would be tough to swallow.

So I've just been sticking to the surface line and hey at least I get a volume rocker. It's just I actually really like toothpick styluses like the x1 yoga. They are so light and totally fine for notes. And then I go to the surface tablet pens, and their heaftier weight feels alot worse than the lighter pens I've used bother within the realms of AES and EMR

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yup, like it's been forever, it seems impossible to find the perfect machine! Something else to make the search even more difficult: actual battery life. There's a long thread on the Lenovo forums about the fact that the X1 Yoga 3 is getting around 4.5h of battery under light load, compared to the stated 'up to 12h' for the model with the HDR screen. Good luck with the search!

soh5 and paprikaleapt like this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

It isn't mentioned anywhere here, but I believe they also doubled the speakers, to create a more dynamic range. There are supposed to be 4 now, I think. Broad statements were that they were much improved in terms of sound quality, though the proof will be in the pudding.

JoeS likes this.
  4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I've become super cynical on this. Maybe I'm just an abusive user but on my surface book 2 I get maybe like 5 hours and I just sort of expect 5 hours max is about the real world usage. Actually using the brightness and speed of the device is great.

It seems I was wrong about lg gram 2 in 1 it's actually 2.5 pounds so it's pretty close to the x1 yoga so I guess x1 yoga probably still wins hands down

And lenovo should maybe hire the company that made this ad and just swap in the x1 yoga in the commercial. Though I guess you need more black colors and business suits to appeal to the business users

5. JoeS

About battery life, there's a user in that X1Y3 battery life thread that says his MateBook does way better under the same load, so it seems like something is not optimal in the Lenovo power management. In case you're still considering another system with stylus you could also look at the way cheaper X380. It's almost the same as the X1Y3, but without a bright screen option.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

The thing that always has me coming back to this forum is the keyboard and trackpoint.

The experience alone is the best in class as a former Thinkpad user. I may consider the 4th gen to go along with my iPad mini 5. The iPad mini is excellent but can’t do everything I need a “pc” needs to do so here I am

paprikaleapt likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My last Thinkpad was my X301 which I loved. But, with the design of the Surface, Thinkpads seem obsolete to me. I work docked in the office and the Surface keyboard is sufficient for my mobile work. I just can't justify toting around a multi-pound device that has both heft and bulk.

8. JoeS

The one exception for me is still the seat back tray problem. Working with a SP4 on one of those was hell, the kickstand would keep falling off the back edge of the table. Maybe I should invest in a slate of plastic to extend the tray... :D

The other thing I still like on ThinkPads over the Surface line is the ability to access the SSD in case the machine dies with important data only on it (not yet backed up). Doesn't happen too often, but it does give me peace of mind to be able to do that. Still, once my X1Y3 dies I'll be have yet another look at all form factors. Surface Book is probably out (no flip to 'presentation mode' without undocking) but a Surface Pro is still of interest. I just entered year 3 with my X1Y3, so maybe in half a year I'll start glancing at options.

9. JoeS

10. JoeS

For those interested in this model, there’s first look thread available on the lenovo forums.