X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for that. So, the model I want (i7/16GB/512GB/4yr wtty is a little over $2K, but that qualifies as a "good deal" for this very high end model. Trying to decide how much 3:2 means to me - not like there's a clamshell convertible that offers that, other than SB3, which would cost way more, be 1lb+ heavier and has no TB ports - or many others found on the X1. Very tempting. Thanks @JoeS - you may cost me a lot of money! Or should I wait for 5th gen, and pay closer to $3K??? Nah, not if still 16X9. In fact, what could they improve upon the 4th gen? Already has the latest hardware. 1080p webcam?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You're welcome! :D I just posted about the X1 Yoga 5th gen which is already up for order, and the question boils down to whether you want 10th gen chips and Wifi6. Other than that the 4th gen machines are basically identical. Scroll through the specs pages side by side to be safe, but I think the CPU and wifi are the main changes. Casing looks identical. Remember that the SSD can be replaced on these, so if you see a cheap model that has the right RAM, you can upgrade the SSD yourself and (usually) spend less money on the upgrade that you would on lenovo.com.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

The 4th gen is apparently refreshed with 10th gen cpus, so only wifi6 is missing in the 4th gen (uses Intel 9560.) I don't have the time right now, but did you happen to check whether the 5th gens have gone up in price vs. 4th? Regardless, I would not forego the great discount (turned out to be about 33% even for the configured version) just to get wifi 6 - or are the 5th gens discounted for Mem Day too?

Edit: Got curious and checked it out: it looks like you too can get a 5th gen, same as the 4th gen in all respects except for the wifi6, for exactly *double* the price of the Mem Day sale price of the 4th gen. Avoid for now.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I posted this in the 5th gen model thread, but it really belongs here. Both generations are extremely similar though.

---

Holy sh*t guys, these deals seem to be actually decent! That $1400 model has a Core™ i5-10210U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 14.0" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, 500 nits. :cool:

upload_2020-7-21_20-53-33.png

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020