X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks like a 5th gen may be on the way. Let's see if they finally fix that aspect ratio!

2. JoeS

I guess we can already answer that with a firm "nope!"

Side note: the markup on the image is a bit ironic given the absolute sh_tshow that is the Lenovo ordering system. :confused:

4BAB26D8-1115-4362-B440-548D6E13FD12.jpeg

lovelaptops and Marty like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Lenovo - are they still making relevant high end convertible devices? I thought their poor quality control, poor customer support and outmoded aspect ratio has rendered them (sadly) out of the game o_O

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Their Thinkpads and X1 Carbons are superb machines. Often considered the best in class by many reviewers. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.?? Customer support for all Thinkpads I've ever owned has also been superb for over a decade. The aspect ratio is 16:9-- I'd like otherwise, but it's not as if that's such an uncommon ratio. Lots of other people have 16:9 laptops. Seemed like a weird critique, lovelaptops.

The real difference I've heard about is if you're getting a consumer Lenovo device. But even then, I've got to give them kudos. Including pens in silos in some penabled consumer devices, improving sound quality with the soundbar ingenuity, etc. I feel like they make interesting laptops and are pushing the edge with certain devices.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. JoeS

Maybe my incessant complaints have made you think they only produce broken machines? :) I have had bad luck both with ordering and with the hardware, one issue after the next, so my opinion of them as a company has dropped to something like 4/10, but.. their device designs are still up there with the best. I'm still largely enjoying my X1 Yoga 3 with 2 TB3 ports and an eGPU. Just wished that the fingerprint reader still worked. For reference, I'd love to get a Surface Pro or Book, but without TB3 I just can't. So I'm still curious about the X1 Yoga 6 in 2021. Maybe then it'll be 3:2?! :D

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    lovelaptops likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

Point taken. It was a knee-jerk response. My personal experience with new ThinkPads over the past 5 years - and that of numerous TPCR members - has been entirely negative with QC and support (mostly post-sales telephone customer support, not the on-site tech support) and a significant number of us ended up returning or selling ours. When I look at large numbers of owner respondents on the Lenovo forums I see the most of the ThinkPad models in recent years have aggregate owner experience ratings of 3.7 - 4.0 stars out 5 which suggest a poor experience for premium products compared to peers.

I couldn't agree more that Thinkpad devices are at the pinnacle of design and engineering. But I, for one, am not comfortable taking a gamble with a new model. This leaves me choosing the likes of high end HP consumer devices, despite poorer quality, because I can expect to buy only once and have it work upon delivery. I may be over-reacting but I've never shied away from buy/troubleshoot/return/replace to get the device I want, but it got really old over my last 3 Thinkpad model purchases. Surely YMMV and/or your tolerance for dealing with early problems may be greater than mine.

JoeS likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

[?] minds think alike! We were posting the same observations at the same time ;)

JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

Well, if anyone is still interested in a X1 Yoga 4th gen, there's a 45% discount for Memorial Day! :eek: 10th gen core-5, 8GB/256GB. Still not cheap, but nice machine, and there don't seem to be many (if any) quality control complaints about this model. Fair warning, the model on sale is the FHD (1080p) model which to some might look a bit pixilated on a 14" screen.

upload_2020-5-18_10-53-1.png

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

I stand corrected! There is very high satisfaction with this model - and more another non-X1 yoga model. I confess that I had kind of given up on ThinkPad some 2 yrs ago. They're back! :p. Too bad they've got an 8GB model on sale. There's no easy way to get to a "configurator" to see that a 16GB/512GB model would sell for, much less higher res. Still, "you get what you pay for" and this is a good deal considering it's a thinkpad X1. Good catch - tempting. Thanks.

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

To configure your model, see here. Discounts all around, but not all 45% unfortunately! :)