X1 Yoga 4th gen (2019) discussion thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Lenovo has announced the 4th gen X1 Yoga. Some significant changes, most notably the case material: it's now milled aluminum, aka gray rather than black! :eek:

The good news: nothing got drastically worse than the 3rd gen model, but there's still room for improvement.

Things that improved:
    - smaller side bezels, smaller footprint
    - aluminum casing probably won't be losing paint like the old black models
    - air blows out the sides this time rather than straight onto your privates on the 3rd gen
    - you can now have a Windows Hello IR camera AND the thinkshutter for privacy
    - new combo docking port including a TB3 port

Things that didn't improve:
    - still 16:9 with huge lower bezel. They should go to 3:2 screens
    - Still quite a bit heavier than the 2.5lbs X1 Carbon at 3.09lbs
    - Still no volume rocker
    - Still can't open one-handed, see about 50 seconds into the video here.

Things that got worse:
    - the keys no longer lock in place in tablet mode
    - it looks like we lost the microSD card reader

Available June 2019, starting price $1930.

Edit: some weirdness going on with the casing, seems like WWAN models get mixed casing with the bottom piece magnesium rather than aluminum.

upload_2019-1-7_21-1-35.png

Lenovo Press release

Ars Technica write-up

Size comparison with the 3rd gen model from slashgear:

upload_2019-1-7_21-19-39.png

Zoom-in of the left-side TB3 port and the docking port. Do I see a TB3 port hiding in the docking port?

upload_2019-1-7_21-39-18.png

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    paprikaleapt, Starlight5 and YVerloc like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

@JoeS — Are you thinking of getting one? Elsewhere you wrote: "With all the quality control issues with my X1 Yoga, it's time to try another manufacturer for the next one." So I thought you had given up on them. That also gave me pause about considering the X1 Extreme for my next rig, if Thinkpad quality has degraded so much.

3. JoeS

Probably not, I'm kind of down on Lenovo right now because of the never ending string of issues I have with the X1Y3. Given how much I spent on that thing I'll hang on it for a while, and I'll have a good look at the Surface Book 3 or 4 when my X1Y3 becomes too much trouble.

It's too bad, on paper the X1 Yoga machines are exactly what I've been wanting for years, but there's only so much bugginess I can take! Still great machines if you are lucky enough to get a good unit, but if you don't they're a pain.

As for the X1 Extreme, maybe that model is better. I recommend reading some of the posts on the official Lenovo forums. They're impressively open about leaving user complaints up there, so if you find very few threads discussing problems with the X1 Extreme, it might be worth trying one out. For the X1Y3, there are several threads that have thousands of views with lots of users complaining, and Lenovo turning a blind eye. Those threads represent my experience unfortunately.

dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Thanks!

Well, looks like I dodged a bullet on that one. There's an unresolved and common audio popping issue on the right channel when using headphones with the X1 Extreme. The thread started back when the device first came out and complained of a popping noise after every special effect in Skyrim—an utter no-go for me; that would drive me up the wall!

Still no consistent fix as of the holidays and never a response from Lenovo on the issue. The OP apparently returned his and went back to an XPS.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Extreme-Audio-Popping/m-p/4206570

Edit: I don't want to increase the topic drift by posting again about the ThinkPad X1 Extreme, but I also don't want to put people off on the X1E who read this and think the popping has no cure. In the thread linked above there is apparently a fix that works. I'll keep my eye on it to see if it's a false hope. If it looks real I'll perhaps put this device back on my maybe list. But with new 2050Ti Max-Q cards coming out in March or April I'll most likely get something not yet announced which has that...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

6. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is a bit off-topic, but what were the issues you had with the X1Y3?

7. JoeS

Let me see if I can remember them all.. :)

- for several months the fingerprint reader was very slow and inaccurate, ultimately fixed.
    - fan would run continuously while plugged in (workaround posted after a month or so)
    - color profiles went missing twice for a long time, meaning weird calibration for about a month
    - later: fingerprint reader defective? Regularly becomes non-functional (not in device manager)
    - mouse pointer would drift for 7 seconds two or three times after switching from tablet mode
    - "ghost touches" near the lower right and top right of the screen (closing tabs..)
    - paint flaking pretty badly near the ports and along edges, not covered by warranty
    - lid sometimes doesn't stay closed

I honestly had/have all of these, this is not a random list of topics from their forum. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Anyway, happy thoughts, there's a 4th gen in town, and maybe, just maybe they addressed their QA issues this time around.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Marty, Starlight5 and dellaster like this.
  8. JoeS

One big change that have seen mentioned in several places is that the X1 Yoga 4th gen keyboard no longer retracts when going to tablet mode. The keys on the 3rd gen would retract into the base and stay locked in place, but apparently the 4th gen doesn't move (or lock?) them in place at all. Not a deal breaker, but definitely not an improvement. Possible upside: folding the screen back might feel a bit smoother now, the 3rd gen definitely had a bit of a 'snap' as you passed 270deg.

Something else I don't see mentioned: the previous gen had a terrible micro-SD card reader placement (along the back edge). Looks like they fixed that by removing the card reader altogether?

An unrelated alert for OCD sufferers, when in tablet mode, the base and the screen don't line up. Gah!

upload_2019-1-14_12-41-29.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  9. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think they line up perfectly when the laptop is closed normally either. My guess is that is because with the screen bezel hanging slightly over the palmrest, the screen is easier to open. This makes a cutout or a lip to grab the screen unnecessary – at least that is how it is on my ThinkPad P51.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. JoeS

Makes sense. It looks like when the X1 Yoga 4th gen is closed, the lid sticks out a little more but the lid and base line up such that they form a continuous but angled front edge = no OCD triggers. :) See the top device in the pic below.

upload_2019-1-14_16-22-33.png

ibmthink likes this.