X1 Titanium: First Yoga convertible with 3:2 screen (?)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Nvss

Nvss Pen Pal - Newbie

I stay in SG. Unfortunately even with codes, it still cost much more than base price of US without promo codes

taller in height means I have to use a larger laptop bag. It’s not as convenient

if it’s a 13” X1 nano size, I can even downgrade the bag.

and yes. Price is a big diff. For same configuration vis a vis with X12, the price diff is more than 2.5k. I can get a high range iPad Pro with cash leftover

not sure who’s the target audience. Hmm

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, probably a few hardcore fans or people who do not mind the price (possibly with a large company sale) will buy it and of course it is good press for them. It does push the boundaries for 2-1 laptops (next to devices like HP Dragonfly etc.) so that is kind of cool I think and I applaud them for making these devices.

3. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

And now the usual discounts come into play, making the prices much more reasonable (though not cheap).
    A90570D3-E80B-47A6-98A9-049C5EDCE0AB.jpeg

ibmthink and JoeS like this.
  4. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

5. ibmthink

6. daddyfish

, lol @ those comments.

What I find a bit confusing is the conflicting opinions I hear about the touchpad. Some find it bad (eg Notebookcheck) and others love the tech (eg Windows Central).

, tough one; the ports (2 additional Usb-A and 1 additional HDMI port) and price are objectively valid points from Notebookcheck. I think the other points are more subjective. While the Titanium version does offer a 3:2 screen, is thinner and perhaps most important for a 2-1 it weights 200 gram less (table specs comparison here: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Titanium Yoga hands-on: Thinnest ThinkPad ever blows us away | Tom's Guide ). Aside from the price differences, I think the Titanium version would be the superior 2-1 if one tends to use it as a tablet more often.
    Still curious for the X1 Yoga reviews though. :vbsmile:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. ibmthink

Well, Daniel Rubino from Windows Central also absolutely hates the TrackPoint for some reason, so I take his opinion on anything input-device related with a large grain of salt. :vbbiggrin:

I think the Notebookcheck review boils it down quite well (with the touchpad seemingly the only real "bad" point) - choosing it means choosing a compromise in terms of performance, ports and probably also battery life. In turn, you get a much more tablet friendly form-factor, as well as a nice 3:2 screen not available on any other ThinkPad. X1 Yoga vs. X1 Titanium Yoga is an interesting comparison. I hope we get to test the X1 Yoga Gen 6 soon as well.

8. daddyfish

, haha yeah he really hates that TrackPoint and I see more reviewers dislike it (even as someone who never had a laptop with a trackpoint I cannot really understand why, does not seem like something that sits in the way).
    Bit offtopic but I also take Notebookcheck with a grain of salt, the way how they go in depth is great but sometimes they reach weird results or conclusions that also conflict with other review sites. A good example is that in their reviews the older Surface Pro 7 i5 offers greater battery life than Pro 7+ i5 while the latter has a bigger battery and generally more efficient cpu. Something is off with their testing it seems, likely they were comparing it with LTE on or such without mentioning its impact on battery life.
    They also make errors sometimes in serviceability of devices (though the user comments usually correct this).

JoeS likes this.
  9. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

It’s probably something like aesthetic outrage. As a touch typist new to a keyboard with a TrackPoint, it was as if it didn’t exist. Never once did I accidentally move the cursor or pointer during typing. And since touch typists look at the screen, not the keyboard, even the aesthetics are a nonissue. He must be a hunt-n-peck typist. I know that two-finger typists of that sort can have impressive word-per-minute scores and don’t feel the need to learn “proper” typing even if they do it professionally. I knew some novelists like that.

daddyfish likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Lisa's review is up:

desertlap and dellaster like this.