X1 Titanium: First Yoga convertible with 3:2 screen (?)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by ibmthink, Sep 5, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Preach! :p

Since using my X1 tablet full time for work, I have to say that I might not go back to the yoga form factor as the "do it all" 2-in-1 device. The ability to have just the tablet sitting on an almost open kickstand next to your desk setup connected to nothing but a thunderbolt cable is just too good to give up. It feels completely natural to zoom-share the tablet screen and mock up some sketch while in a meeting on that slightly inclined canvas. Doing the same with a yoga type laptop folded 360deg is not quite the same because of the lack of a prop-up method, and because of the larger "front edge" you'd have while drawing.

Anyway, the titanium looks amazing, but I might have to go with their next tablet offering when my X1T3 finally dies.

daddyfish and desertlap like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@JoeS Just hope you don't get to play with one. It's one of those pieces of tech that causes otherwise rational people to come up with the thinnest justifications. Several of our engineers that saw it along with me either thinking of what they could sell to buy one personally, or possible reasons that I should approve one for them for a work system :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

Haha, I'll try to stay far away from them. Good thing they don't typically (ever?) appear in the Best Buys of this world! :D

4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, indeed. Also it might just be me but isn't the whole appeal of a Yoga style device that it is either cheaper and/or more powerful than a detachable device? If you are going to spend these amounts of money there are even firm physical keyboards like Brydge for detachables so that you can switch between type cover and more traditional keyboard when you like.

JoeS likes this.
  5. JoeS

That's part of it, but for me the major appeal is that the laptop mode of an X1 Yoga is miles better than that of a device like the Surface Pro. But I'm finding that I truly value the tethered 'sketchpad' mode of the X1 Tablet, which yoga devices simply cannot match.

So incredibly, just like the entire preceding decade I'm still not sure what my ideal form factor is! I still think that my ideal solutions is a Surface Book Yoga with kickstand, where the docked tablet could fold back by 360 degrees like any Yoga device, but where the detached tablet would have a workable kickstand. I like to think of this ultimate tablet PC as "The Homer": all the features, zero percent of the market. :p

6. Nvss

Nvss Pen Pal - Newbie

I was interested in this model till I realised it’s even taller than my thinkpad X1Y gen 1

I think they should have gone something like X1 nano size that’s flippable

at that size, it’s kinda too big and bulky

now I’m thinking of X12 tablet instead, coz judging by current prices, I don’t believe X1Y gen 6 will be cheap

7. daddyfish

, there was a spin-off on the Surface Book by Porsche (Porsche Design Book). While the specs were lacking for the sky high price and the top part was too heavy for the hinge, what was kind of cool is that it had a Yoga style hinge but was still detachable. I have seen 1 or 2 other laptops with this feature too.
    Another good idea I think would be a larger 13.5" Surface Pro and make it compatible for both type cover and Book keyboard.

JoeS likes this.
  8. ibmthink

ibmthink Scribbler - Standard Member

I think they do put the X1 Carbon into Best Buy, so the X1 Titanium might appear! :vbbiggrin:

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

Whatever you choose, make sure you keep an eye on discounts and coupons. It's not unheard of to see 25% discounts or more on fairly recent models on their site. And then be prepared to wait for four weeks while you wondered what happened to your order.. (their ordering system can be a mess)

10. daddyfish

, they are about the same size I think, with the X1 Ti taller but the laptops you mention wider. X1 Ti is also very thin and lightweight for a laptop so I do not think it will feel bulky. That being said I cannot imagine using this as a tablet for longer than a few minutes, in that regard X12 tablet seems a better pick (and a noticeable cheaper one). The new Yoga one will probably be priced similar (much cheaper than X1 Ti). In the end it matters what your use case is, what do you find more important:
    Lower weight & compacter vs bigger screen.
    Being able to detach the keyboard vs Yoga hinge.
    Full-size pen vs build-in mini pen.